Fegan writes "coaching changes..."

Lip Man 1

23 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

They'll probably replace all the coaches with the exception of Daryl Boston who is "untouchable."

What the hell did he do to deserve such loyalty? He must have a video tape of JR doing some kinky s%*#.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Talk about utter dysfunction. The team loses 101 games and the only change will be to demote the bullpen coach. Everyone else was part of the Grifol idiocy, a pipeline to the owner (Boston), or tied to our new pitching guru (Katz). Once again, NOTHING changes in this organization until Jerry no longer owns the team. 

Bannister and Katz are also tied together...

• Like 1

What is the point of "coaching changes" if the head coach/manager who supervised this disaster of a season remains? It's not as though everyone, or anyone, thinks Grifol did a good job and was only held back by poor coaches, it's not as if anyone even thinks he did an average job.

He took a team led last season by a senile drunk to a .500 finish and made it even worse. They looked absolutely clueless most of the time and certainly didn't look like they were trying hard for the manager.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love how Pedro mentions results oriented and he’s going to make changes, yet he stays.He did none of what he said he was going to do. From the first day of spring training until the last game of the year, he failed. Bullpen coach demoted, that I’ll make a difference….I think with KW gone, DBo is finally at the end of the line. That will probably be it. They probably all should go.

there is nothing to indicate Pedro improved as a manager from March to October. To expect him to be something better moving forward, is based on what the White Sox usually base these things on, nothing. 

You cannot be an owner who wants to win, or a GM who is trying to win and have Pedro Grifol as your manager, unless you just haven't paid attention and love brown nosers.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Talk about utter dysfunction. The team loses 101 games and the only change will be to demote the bullpen coach. Everyone else was part of the Grifol idiocy, a pipeline to the owner (Boston), or tied to our new pitching guru (Katz). Once again, NOTHING changes in this organization until Jerry no longer owns the team. 

Then we about due for another World Series win. 

:jerry

I don't want to put in the effort to find this answer, so maybe someone else wants to, but when is the last time a team expected to contend for a World Series lost 100 games and didn't replace their manager?

Has this EVER happened?

• Thanks 1

For what it's worth I got an e-mail from a source dated Monday morning just after midnight that said most of the coaches were told after the loss to San Diego Sunday they were going to be let go.

The e-mail specifically named Boston, Hasler, Castro, Johnson "and others".  

We'll see. I haven't been able to find out anymore info in this regard. I'm guessing we'll all know in the next few days.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

For what it's worth I got an e-mail from a source dated Monday morning just after midnight that said most of the coaches were told after the loss to San Diego Sunday they were going to be let go.

The e-mail specifically named Boston, Hasler, Castro, Johnson "and others".  

We'll see. I haven't been able to find out anymore info in this regard. I'm guessing we'll all know in the next few days.

It’s a start but keeping Grifol is a huge mistake.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

It’s a start but keeping Grifol is a huge mistake.

It really makes no sense. These guys didn't do their job, but Pedro did? The way Pedro talked about it, it almost seemed like he's oblivious to the fact that he has no chance of returning with most teams. He's not a leader. He's a brown noser who will say anything to keep a job.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It really makes no sense. These guys didn't do their job, but Pedro did? The way Pedro talked about it, it almost seemed like he's oblivious to the fact that he has no chance of returning with most teams. He's not a leader. He's a brown noser who will say anything to keep a job.

One thing is for sure, if the rumors/reports of massive changes to the coaching staff are true, if (when) the Sox get off to a miserable start next year there aren't any "fall guys" left...save for one...Pedro.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

One thing is for sure, if the rumors/reports of massive changes to the coaching staff are true, if (when) the Sox get off to a miserable start next year there aren't any "fall guys" left...save for one...Pedro.

There's always a fall guy in the Italian Ice stand.

4 hours ago, T R U said:

I don't want to put in the effort to find this answer, so maybe someone else wants to, but when is the last time a team expected to contend for a World Series lost 100 games and didn't replace their manager?

Has this EVER happened?

Not sure but one funny thing I remember is when Leo Durocher was hired by the Cubs in 1965 after the Cubs finished in 8th place that year, at his press conference when hired Leo stated that the Cubs were not at 8th place ball club, he was right on the money as the Cubs in 1966 finished in 10th and dead last in the NL with a record of 59-103.

• Like 1

Seems pretty simple to me. They’re replacing members of the coaching staff to sell fans that they’re making moves to improve the team (they know the team won’t improve). And when the team sucks next year, Grifol becomes the fall guy so they can further sell fans that they’re making moves to improve the team.

Most teams would get rid of the entire coaching staff in one fell swoop. The Sox are stretching it over two seasons to stay in that JR “almost” contending area to bleed the fans for longer without spending money.

It’s insulting being a fan of this team.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Seems pretty simple to me. They’re replacing members of the coaching staff to sell fans that they’re making moves to improve the team (they know the team won’t improve). And when the team sucks next year, Grifol becomes the fall guy so they can further sell fans that they’re making moves to improve the team.

Most teams would get rid of the entire coaching staff in one fell swoop. The Sox are stretching it over two seasons to stay in that JR “almost” contending area to bleed the fans for longer without spending money.

Well, at least Chris Getz learned something under Rick Hahn’s tutelage.

51 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They can still blame Hahn for a couple years.

Also Getz said it’s going to take a while because he has to do a deep dive after they hired him because they didn’t want to spend time doing any deep dives.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Grifol will be here for the rest of his contract.

Next year will still be piling on Hahn.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Seems pretty simple to me. They’re replacing members of the coaching staff to sell fans that they’re making moves to improve the team (they know the team won’t improve). And when the team sucks next year, Grifol becomes the fall guy so they can further sell fans that they’re making moves to improve the team. The Sox are stretching it over two seasons to stay in that JR “almost” contending area to bleed the fans for longer without spending money.

I understand why no one has any confidence in anything this organization does, but if what Lip says is true and they entirely dismiss many of these "White Sox Way" lifers in the next few weeks, I doubt it is just to appease the fans. Coupled with the departure of Hahn/Williams, it could be the most major overhaul in the history of this ownership. I am not saying Getz is the solution or that they will do a good job picking the next staff, but I am not sure it can get much worse.

So, I can live with Grifol another season if they bring in talented coaches and evaluators from outside the dysfunctional White Sox family. Grifol's work at the ML level is the least concern with the number of other problems the org has from the ground up.

Edited by Pants Rowland
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3