Mike Clevinger declines player option.

WestEddy

17 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I literally can't even come up with the rotation right now. I don't think that's ever happened.

EDIT: Also f*** Mike Clevinger

Can you imagine trying to sell season tickets to anybody who knows baseball just a little? Has any team had fewer legitimate choices to start baseball games? Is it hyperbole to suggest this might be one of the worst teams in baseball history this upcoming season? Absolutely no reason to go to the games except to see the cool uniforms, eat the food (plenty of places are better in the city for your bang for the buck) and just experience MLB in a cool ballpark.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

The small market habitual losing fanbase syndrome strikes again.   Next up is the Sox/Royals rivalry in the battle for last place. 

Clevinger is basically looking for more money in an overpaid market.   It's business.  Some owner will risk giving him more money than Jerry. I'm sure media heads will throw around "culture".  

Small market habitual losing fan base syndrome?  Not sure I follow, but ultimately it doesn’t really matter.  Short of Jerry dying or selling the team beforehand, Cease won’t be here come 2026.  What is the point of keeping him until then when there is essentially no hope for the first of two years you have him for?

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sox gonna need to sign 3 SPs. Flaherty, Giolito, Montas, Lynn, Ryu, Severino, Cueto, Maeda is the pool of 1 year stop gaps I am guessing they’ll be shopping. 

I’d expect two guys from that tier and then one true scrap-heap guy to compete against the group of in-house “options” we have.  Still a lot of offensive needs to fill and money will be tight after the Salvy trade.  Going to be a weird off-season.

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d expect two guys from that tier and then one true scrap-heap guy to compete against the group of in-house “options” we have.  Still a lot of offensive needs to fill and money will be tight after the Salvy trade.  Going to be a weird off-season.

You’re probably right in the pitching. And I am OK with that. 

I refuse to believe that Getz first move as a GM will be hamstringing his financial flexibility with Salvador Perez. I could see them trading for him as there is obviously smoke there, but only if KC eats at least half the deal prorating the AAV to $10M or so. 

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

Can you imagine trying to sell season tickets to anybody who knows baseball just a little? Has any team had fewer legitimate choices to start baseball games? Is it hyperbole to suggest this might be one of the worst teams in baseball history this upcoming season? Absolutely no reason to go to the games except to see the cool uniforms, eat the food (plenty of places are better in the city for your bang for the buck) and just experience MLB in a cool ballpark.

They’ll pack em in for Jesse Scholtens bobblehead day

13 hours ago, wegner said:

Random question for those in the know.....how close is Nick Nastrini to being able to get a shot at the Palehose rotation?

I'm not in the know, but if NN doesn't get a shot this year, he never will. we really are that thin at SP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

You’re probably right in the pitching. And I am OK with that. 

I refuse to believe that Getz first move as a GM will be hamstringing his financial flexibility with Salvador Perez. I could see them trading for him as there is obviously smoke there, but only if KC eats at least half the deal prorating the AAV to $10M or so. 

It would still suck.
Let's the new GM start the resurrection of a 100 loss team  by trading young players for declining negative fWAR player.  
The farm finally isn't in the decrepit shape that it usually is in.   Use it judiciously.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Small market habitual losing fan base syndrome?  Not sure I follow, but ultimately it doesn’t really matter.  Short of Jerry dying or selling the team beforehand, Cease won’t be here come 2026.  What is the point of keeping him until then when there is essentially no hope for the first of two years you have him for?

We have the symptoms and that's the cure.

We like to use the word trade and can't complete any thought after that.

Never keep better players with a hope the replacements will be better, Haven't figured out hauls are the biggest myth in baseball.

We are fans of a budget team that always makes bad choices.  We are no different than the Pirates, A's, I would say the Royals but the Sox are now the Royals. I we need is lot attendants and vendors from the Royals.   Our hope in free agency is similar to those teams.  It's not the same in LA, NY, or even Cubs or even Philiies.  I give the Padres and Mets owers some credit because they got big names.

I often wonder if Veeck still owned the would the Sox be more like the Rays. He knew he couldn't afford players and wanted to invest in scouting. 

5 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

This is where the Sox are not different from many teams. Even those post season teams. 

Huh? Have you seen these postseason teams? They have like 7 good starting pitchers to start the year; whether they advance or are the Dodgers is determined by which teams have 4 healthy and which have 2 healthy.

The White Sox might have 1.5 pitchers right now.