Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion

DirtySox

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think you need to sign a guy like Bellinger . Yeah the contract maybe too long and too expensive but somehow the Sox need to re-establish that things are going to be different. Even if they won't be.  9 figures ,so over $100M ? Man I don't know about that. He got more than anyone thought he would last year and it turned up roses for him.But yeah it's possible 4 years $25M. Guess I'll have to take a look at the projections .

Eventually the White Sox need to play that market but 2024 is not the year. There are guys who can help you win now, but they are damned far from winning now. There aren’t generational guys like Harper available, where it makes sense to pay for them so you have them in a couple years.

Save money this year, go for guys on 1 year deals who you have a good chance to trade at the deadline. Restocking is the goal this year, see where we are next offseason.

• Like 1

He was a -2.0 WAR player last year and has averaged only 118 games per season during his career. I’m sure some of his offensive decline was due to injuries. However, between his personal issues, getting knocked out in Cleveland and decline defensively at SS, I can’t blame Getz for not taking that club option. 
Back in the day, when TA was locked in and hitting, he was the spark plug for the lineup. Sadly, with his subpar defensive (at best), when TA isn’t hitting, he’s more of a liability.

The best case scenario for Timmy is to make the shift over to 2B and hope to rebound offensively on a 1 year deal somewhere on a winning team. 

As far as the Sox go, I sure hope they are not rushing Montgomery up next year. He needs one more full season down in the minors. 

On a positive note, the Sox only have $118 million committed to the 2024 roster as it stands. Getz appears to have $$ to spend this winter. Unless Scrooge McDuck significantly reduces payroll… 

It sure will be an interesting winter. I’m not sure how Getz can convince any FA to come to the White Sox? 

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

She said KW orchestrated the Burger deal. Nothing about Anderson in any of the parts I saw. 

Yea that's what I implied. Hahn was the one who was discussing TA with them until KW stepped in if you believe the rumors.

5 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Actually both of them have been saying Anderson has been part of the problem and in my opinion they are right.

Guy has a world of talent and a 10 cent head.

His distractions and off the field antics can be someone else's problem.

The Sox are going to be brutal next year so at least try to get some guys who care.

Yes, and use some of that cash to sign a middle infielder or SP for 2-3 years. Someone who can hopefully contribute in 2025. No reason this team cannot legitimately compete in '25 if they spend wisely while ushering in the new crop (Montgomery, Ramos, etc.). 

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why do people keep forgetting Lenyn Sosa ? Can't he play SS ? He'd hit more HR's than TA maybe field better too. I mean you can't really get worse production than TA gave the Sox last year. Or Sosa at 2nd base . Just because his initial try's at the bigs weren't instantly successful doesn't mean he's run out of chance. He's still one of the Sox best prospects.

OK Sosa isn't in the top 30 prospects list anymore I suppose because he's had around 200 MLB AB's but as far as young players closest to making an impact next season he has to be close to the top of the list among position players. Ramos and Rodriquez got cups of coffee  with the Sox but both have barely played at AAA. Montgomery has only had 131 AA and some AFL AB's. They aren't going to rush Montgomery. I'm not even sure he will start the year in AAA. Back to Birmingham seems more likely.

I like Sosa better at second base, if he works out that will be his position going forward anyway as Montgomery should be ready in 2025. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

No free agent in their right mind would want to be a part of this steaming pile of s%*# of a franchise. The only players the White Sox are going to be able to sign are players who are only care about money or players who can’t get a job anywhere else. 

I don't think the only care about money is valid. Perhaps if they don't care about money because they ain't getting an over the top package from JR. 

Can't get a job anywhere else is the pool we have to pull from. 

1 hour ago, GreatScott82 said:

He was a -2.0 WAR player last year and has averaged only 118 games per season during his career. I’m sure some of his offensive decline was due to injuries. However, between his personal issues, getting knocked out in Cleveland and decline defensively at SS, I can’t blame Getz for not taking that club option. 
Back in the day, when TA was locked in and hitting, he was the spark plug for the lineup. Sadly, with his subpar defensive (at best), when TA isn’t hitting, he’s more of a liability.

The best case scenario for Timmy is to make the shift over to 2B and hope to rebound offensively on a 1 year deal somewhere on a winning team. 

As far as the Sox go, I sure hope they are not rushing Montgomery up next year. He needs one more full season down in the minors. 

On a positive note, the Sox only have $118 million committed to the 2024 roster as it stands. Getz appears to have $$ to spend this winter. Unless Scrooge McDuck significantly reduces payroll… 

It sure will be an interesting winter. I’m not sure how Getz can convince any FA to come to the White Sox? 

A FA is going to come here if we’re the highest deal and believes we can compete in a year. They know they’ll get PT.  People who already have rings may not be as worried about being in a playoff hunt right away.

The problem is how often have the Sox shown they’ll sign top guys to the deals they need to get them here.  

Bringing in a couple impactful players now for 2025+ could help not having a big group of guys needing to gel and having a slow start.  Find who your 2025+ leaders are going to be.

Edited by tjp1684

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Eventually the White Sox need to play that market but 2024 is not the year. There are guys who can help you win now, but they are damned far from winning now. There aren’t generational guys like Harper available, where it makes sense to pay for them so you have them in a couple years.

Save money this year, go for guys on 1 year deals who you have a good chance to trade at the deadline. Restocking is the goal this year, see where we are next offseason.

You cant wait too long. I'm going under the impression that JR said he wants to compete ASAP so that would mean getting some quality this year.  I don't don't believe JR as far as I can throw him but that's what I'm doing right now . You can't get everyone you want in 1 year but you can get some pieces.

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

While it’s possible, the gamble on that happening wasn’t worth $14 million to the White Sox. The long term positives are low, maybe he becomes tradeable but doesn’t return much. The negative is “lost $14 million again on a guy who was bad.” The scale tips strongly to the downside risk there. This was the right move so compliments to whoever made it.

If the goal was 1.2 in attendance or less...they're well on their way to complete and utter irrelevance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why do people keep forgetting Lenyn Sosa ? Can't he play SS ? He'd hit more HR's than TA maybe field better too. I mean you can't really get worse production than TA gave the Sox last year. Or Sosa at 2nd base . Just because his initial try's at the bigs weren't instantly successful doesn't mean he's run out of chance. He's still one of the Sox best prospects.

OK Sosa isn't in the top 30 prospects list anymore I suppose because he's had around 200 MLB AB's but as far as young players closest to making an impact next season he has to be close to the top of the list among position players. Ramos and Rodriquez got cups of coffee  with the Sox but both have barely played at AAA. Montgomery has only had 131 AA and some AFL AB's. They aren't going to rush Montgomery. I'm not even sure he will start the year in AAA. Back to Birmingham seems more likely.

That Sosa's one of the so called best Sox position prospects tells you everything you need to know.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You cant wait too long. I'm going under the impression that JR said he wants to compete ASAP so that would mean getting some quality this year.  I don't don't believe JR as far as I can throw him but that's what I'm doing right now . You can't get everyone you want in 1 year but you can get some pieces.

The problem is someone like Amed Rosario (who was obviously solid in 2022) is going to be terribly overpaid because there's just so little middle infield talent on the market...

And then expecting the Sox to pay through the teeth for FA starting pitching?

Just no way...

I lived with the idea that TA was our next great Frank and Paulie.  Then he went out and performed and brought us moments like the corn field walk off. .........best of times 

I felt like TA we going on levels of Paulie and Frank ........

My kids bought his jersey and I sent out TA meme's after wins to my cubs fan friends and family 

Then..........it all fell apart. TA fucked up TA.......and fucked up this team, organization, and himself with his issues.

I'm numb to TA

He's going to go somewhere and be a great baseball player, because the real TA as a baseball player is not what we saw last year.

I'm going to be sad but sometimes you realize separation is best for all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is someone like Amed Rosario (who was obviously solid in 2022) is going to be terribly overpaid because there's just so little middle infield talent on the market...

And then expecting the Sox to pay through the teeth for FA starting pitching?

Just no way...

Possible, but Rosario was also bad last year. What team is going to dump money on a SS this offseason? 

42 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Possible, but Rosario was also bad last year. What team is going to dump money on a SS this offseason? 

Rosario is a BAD defender. He is the last thing this team needs. That said, I have no idea how they're going to fill out the roster. They may hold tryouts at the park district.

46 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Rosario is a BAD defender. He is the last thing this team needs. That said, I have no idea how they're going to fill out the roster. They may hold tryouts at the park district.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/amed-rosario/15518/stats?position=SS
So team will look and see an athletic (stolen bases/baserunning now work more in his favor) 2.5-2.7 fWAR roughly league average defender (if you were to throw out 2023) just turning 28 who has at least 2-3 more seasons remaining in his prime…and who was a huge catalyst for the 2022 Guardians.

17 hours ago, Quin said:

The man was a two time All-Star and former batting champion on a cheap deal. 

How is that paid on potential???

Edit: I'm talking about his previous seasons, not his upcoming season.

the key word in your post is "was".

12 hours ago, ChetLemon77 said:

Yes, and use some of that cash to sign a middle infielder or SP for 2-3 years. Someone who can hopefully contribute in 2025. No reason this team cannot legitimately compete in '25 if they spend wisely while ushering in the new crop (Montgomery, Ramos, etc.). 

Agreed. sign the best almost good enough to start middle infielder to a 2-3 year deal. P.S. it's

not Elvis. EA really started to slip in the field the second half. Just about the time he started hitting above the Mendoza line.

• Quin changed the title to Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion
  • Quin locked this topic