Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion

DirtySox

Sources tell Yahoo Sports that the Giants, Angels and Marlins are the finalists for the three-time All-Star, and a decision could be made in the next week. Miami also checked on Anderson’s availability at last summer’s trade deadline.

While the Giants and Angels could offer Anderson an opportunity to play every day, the Marlins, who made the postseason last year, are the only team of the three with a legitimate chance to make a push for a playoff spot. After Anderson was part of winning seasons in just two of his seven years in Chicago, playing for a contender could be a factor in his decision.

Yankees also still talking Cease if Snell deal falls through.

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-5-best-non-shohei-ohtani-moves-of-the-mlb-offseason--and-4-that-should-happen-before-opening-day-160528867.html

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I stand corrected.  IDK where I was getting 3 million.. Probably some other old scrub that didn't deserve a major league contract.

The Marlins offer is only $2 million guaranteed to Tim Anderson, and he gets to start at SS.

Getz definitely jumped the gun on the defensive guys he wanted.  Rosario is a ridiculously better signing than DeJong for only $1.5 million, even though Rosario’s glove is in question.  DeJong has been so bad over the years that he should have only been given a minor league deal and had to perform in ST to earn his spot.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Marlins offer is only $2 million guaranteed to Tim Anderson, and he gets to start at SS.

Getz definitely jumped the gun on the defensive guys he wanted.  Rosario is a ridiculously better signing than DeJong for only $1.5 million, even though Rosario’s glove is in question.  DeJong has been so bad over the years that he should have only been given a minor league deal and had to perform in ST to earn his spot.

I think if they really wanted better defense they would not have signed Rosario. He was awful last year defensively. You are right about jumping the gun on DeJong though. He's a NRI type signing if Rosario and Anderson end up getting around 2 million a year. 

28 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Do you have a source for the Marlins offer?

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Paul DeJong at a higher price than Tim Anderson. 

Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

And Little Nicky Lopez at more than double the salary ($4.3 million) of each of them.  It’s amazing how much money bad players can earn in the MLB.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And Little Nicky Lopez at more than double the salary ($4.3 million) of each of them.  It’s amazing how much money bad players can earn in the MLB.

It's even more amazing how much money terrible owners can earn. 

And thinking back over the past decade, terrible managers and GMs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Dejong will be done by July with the youth stepping in.  Hopefully he does well enough to trade for a low A guy that can make our top 30 in the Future Sox writeup next fall.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Dejong will be done by July with the youth stepping in.  Hopefully he does well enough to trade for a low A guy that can make our top 30 in the Future Sox writeup next fall.

Dovetails with my post on the fWAR over unders. Let's hope he's motivated and healthy and puts together a bounce back year so he can get off this s%*# team and bring us back something.

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Rosario is a ridiculously better signing than DeJong for only $1.5 million, even though Rosario’s glove is in question. 

But the thing is, Getz is really really really prioritizing good defense, so I don't think you can just gloss over the fact that Rosario's glove is in question. I'd say that basically makes the Rosario signing a moot point because I don't know that his subpar D even made him a viable candidate in Getz's eyes.

BTW this is not an endorsement of the DeJong signing. It's more of trying to understand the logic behind some of the decisions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snopek said:

But the thing is, Getz is really really really prioritizing good defense, so I don't think you can just gloss over the fact that Rosario's glove is in question. I'd say that basically makes the Rosario signing a moot point because I don't know that his subpar D even made him a viable candidate in Getz's eyes.

BTW this is not an endorsement of the DeJong signing. It's more of trying to understand the logic behind some of the decisions.

The logic was "someone has to play, they might as well be cheap". That's a simplification but it applies to most of their moves.

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But it's not amazing how much bad owners can make. That's about a hundred times more. 

• Like 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

The logic was "someone has to play, they might as well be cheap". That's a simplification but it applies to most of their moves.

Pretty much, and then they also get to point to defense or leadership or athleticism because those attributes don't come with a high price tag when it's the only thing the player is bringing to the table.

• Thanks 1

• Quin locked this topic