Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox are stripping it down to the studs and preparing for some kind of sale imo. This is a horrible way to do it, but it's an archaic way so it's right up Jerry's alley. 

This explains pretty much every decision they've made. 

It really feels like Jerry is running the Fisher playbook on the Sox - getting as much of the fanbase to erode away so it's easier to move the team out of Chicago.

26 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

It really feels like Jerry is running the Fisher playbook on the Sox - getting as much of the fanbase to erode away so it's easier to move the team out of Chicago.

I'll go out on a limb and say moving the franchise is a pipe dream, simply not happening. Period. Full stop.

On 11/9/2023 at 2:06 PM, fathom said:

I turn on the Score and immediately hear Holmes saying he won’t go to any Sox games next year now and Parkins say “Benetti is a better broadcaster than Robert is a CF”.  The Robert one is possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

Holmes is such a fucking dweeb. My favorite thing is how he constantly feels the need to overstate his athletic ability. I remember were talking about how Justin Steele's 4-seamer has so much cut, that it tricks fangraphs into thinking that he is actually throwing a cutter. Larry chimed in and said he understands, because his fastball has a lot of cut as well.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tony said:

Nothing. And that's the point. 

It's fine if you don't like Jason. Seen plenty of those posts in this thread. He's actually not my favorite either. But I acknowledge his talent, along with near universal praise within the industry. That means something. This organization is at the lowest point it's been, probably ever, and they let one of the only "strengths" of the organization leave for Detroit...because why? 

What I can't wrap my head around is people like @tray always giving the Sox the "benefit of the doubt." "Oh I'm sure there is more to this story." The "more" in this case is how poorly this entire franchise is run by one man. That's the more. It's not complicated, it's not a conspiracy theory, no matter how hard you want it to be. He's an old, out of touch billionaire that has shown NO desire to run his organization with any sense of purpose, drive, or desire to achieve something greater than the absolute bare minimum. But keep defending that, it's going GREAT. 

@tray 's schtick is playing the contrarian view EVERY single time. I mean the guy defends Reinsdorf whenever he can. It's lazy trolling if I say so myself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, fathom said:

On the field stuff is really the only thing that matters to me. If somehow they turn this around in two years, no one is going to care if it’s Benetti or Monaco or Julie Dicaro announcing the team.  Like I said, last straw would be making asinine decisions for actual player personnel. I also wonder if Stoney and Benetti had a falling out. You would think Stoney could have influenced Reinsdorf to keep him around if he really wanted.

Let's not go that far. If Julie DiCaro becomes the announcer, I'm becoming a Cubs fan. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox are stripping it down to the studs and preparing for some kind of sale imo. This is a horrible way to do it, but it's an archaic way so it's right up Jerry's alley. 

This explains pretty much every decision they've made. 

Why would the franchise he worth more with their fan favorite announcer?

12 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

At what point do the rest of the shareholders try to force him out?

I know they’re still making money, but they would almost certainly be making more if the franchise weren’t being run so poorly. Seems like a ton of money is being left on the table for no good reason.

Most all of the investors have no voting rights. Their only influence would be to all offer their shares back to Jerry at once.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2023 at 10:18 AM, Rowand44 said:

I'll never understand people that didn't like Jason.  He's the best around.  Wasn't going to watch many games this year anyways so whatever but this doesn't help.

I will miss Jason.  Had a good voice and demeanor.  Local guy.  He was nationally recognized with national broadcasting gigs of other sports.  Something went wrong as it's hard to fathom that the Tigers job would be more attractive than Chicago’s.

46 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Benetti wanted to miss 25% of his "dream job" so he could pursue his other "dream jobs." The Sox said no.  So that's that.

Meanwhile they let Stone take off as much as he wants and stick us with Beckham…

Detroit seems to have no problem with Jason missing 25% of their games. Other teams have rotations to allow for other obligations. But of course the Sox don’t want to be accommodating anymore AKA they don’t want to pay for a replacement 25% of the time. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Benetti wanted to miss 25% of his "dream job" so he could pursue his other "dream jobs." The Sox said no.  So that's that.

Mike Monaco will miss a bunch too. Jerry Reinsdorf doesn’t like Benetti and doesn’t like the broadcast. It’s that simple. 

• TLR 1

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Mike Monaco will miss a bunch too. Jerry Reinsdorf doesn’t like Benetti and doesn’t like the broadcast. It’s that simple. 

Do you have any inkling or thought that Jerry could be potentially ready to sell the team? I've read a few people predict that. I assume nobody really knows yet though. 

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Do you have any inkling or thought that Jerry could be potentially ready to sell the team? I've read a few people predict that. I assume nobody really knows yet though. 

Jerry is taking the Sox to the grave just to get out of the sales tax

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They didn't say no. They put it in the contract he can miss 35 games. How many will Monaco miss? He just signed an extension with ESPN. How many did Stone miss? 

There is something more to this, and I'm sure it comes back to JR. He's probably pissed Jason contradicted his boy Brooks last year when Brooks said negotiations were all peachy.

That said, Monaco is pretty good and really young. I doubt he will want to do 162 White Sox games for a while.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1