Non-Tender 11/17

flavum

Below are the players eligible for the December 2023 Rule 5 Draft per FanGraphs. I would assume they will add Veras, Eder and Mena.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/white-sox

• Catchers Ivan Gonzalez; Victor Torres; Luis Pineda
  • Shortstop Wilbur Sanchez
  • Outfielders Wilfred Veras, DJ Gladney, James Beard
  • Starters Jake Eder, Cristian Mena, Matthew Thompson, Chase Solesky, Juan Carela, Manuel Volez, Andrew Dalquist, Jose Jimenez.
  • Relivers Caleb Freeman, Andrew Perez, Adisyn Coffee, Jeremiah Burke, Kade Mechals.

I think Matt Foster is the only real non-tender candidate.  He'll be just a bit over league min, so depending on how his rehab is progressing, Sox aren't really in a position to be punting off potential relievers. Sox also in not really in a position to non-tender Touki, and I think he earned another look.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I'd add Eder and Mena and call it a day. I like Veras but don't think another team would select him in the ML portion. There's enough fat on the 40-man that adding him is fine, I just think the likelihood of a selection is low. 

Counterpoint: If Getz's tenure begins with another org taking a Tatis family member and suddenly they go supernova, well...

35 minutes ago, Quin said:

Counterpoint: If Getz's tenure begins with another org taking a Tatis family member and suddenly they go supernova, well...

Sure that would obviously be a bad outcome in what would further the darkest timeline of White Sox fandom. I just don't believe a team would select and keep a fringey LF/DH on a ML roster all year long. If they add him to the 40 that's great, I like Veras and given the circumstances of the roster there should be enough space, I just don't think he'd be selected.  

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Sure that would obviously be a bad outcome in what would further the darkest timeline of White Sox fandom. I just don't believe a team would select and keep a fringey LF/DH on a ML roster all year long. If they add him to the 40 that's great, I like Veras and given the circumstances of the roster there should be enough space, I just don't think he'd be selected.  

Man I was being sarcastic.

• TLR 1

I'd non-tender a ton of guys off this horrible roster. These are 31 guys I'd protect:

1. Banks, lhp
  2. Bummer, lhp
  3. Juan Carela, rhp
  4. Cease, rhp
  5. Crochet, lhp
  6. Jake Eder, LHP
  7. Deivi Garcia, rhp
  8. Kopech, rhp
  9. Lambert, rhp
  10. Davis Martin, rhp 
  11. Christian Mena, rhp
  12. Lane Ramsey, rhp
  13. Sammy Peralta, lhp
  14. Gregory Santos, rhp
  15. Jesse Scholtens, rhp
  16. Matt Thompson, rhp
  17. Touki Toussaint, rhp
  18. Korey Lee, c
  19. Carlos Perez, c
  20. Romy Gonzalez, 2b/ss/of
  21. #Moncada, 3b
  22. Bryan Ramos, 3b
  23. Popeye Rodriguez, 2b/ss
  24. *Sheets, 1b/of
  25. Sosa, 2b/ss
  26. *Colas, of
  27. Jimenez, of
  28. Robert, of
  29. Vaughn, 1b
  30. *Benintendi, of
  31. Wilfred Veras, of

I would not tender Romy, too injury prone.

On 11/11/2023 at 6:35 AM, Timmy U said:

I'd non-tender a ton of guys off this horrible roster. These are 31 guys I'd protect:

1. Banks, lhp
  2. Bummer, lhp
  3. Juan Carela, rhp
  4. Cease, rhp
  5. Crochet, lhp
  6. Jake Eder, LHP
  7. Deivi Garcia, rhp
  8. Kopech, rhp
  9. Lambert, rhp
  10. Davis Martin, rhp 
  11. Christian Mena, rhp
  12. Lane Ramsey, rhp
  13. Sammy Peralta, lhp
  14. Gregory Santos, rhp
  15. Jesse Scholtens, rhp
  16. Matt Thompson, rhp
  17. Touki Toussaint, rhp
  18. Korey Lee, c
  19. Carlos Perez, c
  20. Romy Gonzalez, 2b/ss/of
  21. #Moncada, 3b
  22. Bryan Ramos, 3b
  23. Popeye Rodriguez, 2b/ss
  24. *Sheets, 1b/of
  25. Sosa, 2b/ss
  26. *Colas, of
  27. Jimenez, of
  28. Robert, of
  29. Vaughn, 1b
  30. *Benintendi, of
  31. Wilfred Veras, of

I really don't think we need to protect Veras. Still like him, just don't think it's remotely a threat.

I agree on a lot, I'd probably lose Romy too. 

I would also keep Cronin. That's about it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flavum said:

Brewers non tendered Woodruff. Yeesh.

There is no incentive to spend more than $100M, really no incentive to spend more than $40M at this point beyond an MLB loss to the players union regarding spending of revenue sharing, beyond the handful of MLB teams each year trying to compete.

Brewers are now at $97.4M for the 2024 26 man roster per Cot's Contracts after subtracting $12.5M for Woodruff.

Wonder if the Cubs will be the only team over .500 this year in the NL Central, or whether the Cardinals will try to substantially improve to reach that low bar of three Wild Card Spot competitiveness. 

Just now, Sleepy Harold said:

So your team lost 101 games last season, not by design, and you tender every unsigned player on the 40-man a contract? I don't get that at all. I know people can be DFA'd and traded later, but I'm just confused as to why they ALL got tendered. 

Could have non-tendered 5 guys and no one would have given a s%*#.

• Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1