Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

39 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Edit: scratch that. it's amazing we won 8 games

A 100 loss team played .500 ball against all playoff teams when Dylan Cease started that game. They went 9-32 when other pitchers started against playoff teams.

I can't readily break out Cease's splits against playoff teams on B-R. In those 16 starts, I think he was only blown out twice. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

A 100 loss team played .500 ball against all playoff teams when Dylan Cease started that game. They went 9-32 when other pitchers started against playoff teams.

I can't readily break out Cease's splits against playoff teams on B-R. In those 16 starts, I think he was only blown out twice. 

Well that's good enough for me.

30 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Hard to glean much without diving into each of those games, but that's not insignificant. On the surface it suggests that he kept his team in the game, and we all know the offense, defense, and pen sucked ass.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Hard to glean much without diving into each of those games, but that's not insignificant. On the surface it suggests that he kept his team in the game, and we all know the offense, defense, and pen sucked ass.

FWIW, the White Sox averaged 3.96 runs/game last year for 29th in MLB. For Cease they averaged 4.27 runs/game, which is above average for them, but which would have been tied with Pittsburgh at 22nd in runs/game if it lasted the whole season. So offense slightly better with Cease pitching, but not a blowout.

This draft lottery has gotten me pissed.  Time to f*** over one of these small market franchises who are caking off this corrupt system.  If BAL wants Cease, then the price is going to start at Mayo, Hjerstad, & Norby.  If they don’t like it, then they can wait and pay an even steeper price at the deadline.  And if they don’t like that, then I’m trading Luis Robert to the Rays for whoever Bob fucking Seymour is.  At this point we got nothing to lose and I need me a fat Orioles package at all costs.  f*** Manfred & Jerry for putting us in this situation.

• Haha 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 3

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This draft lottery has gotten me pissed.  Time to f*** over one of these small market franchises who are caking off this corrupt system.  If BAL wants Cease, then the price is going to start at Mayo, Hjerstad, & Norby.  If they don’t like it, then they can wait and pay an even steeper price at the deadline.  And if they don’t like that, then I’m trading Luis Robert to the Rays for whoever Bob fucking Seymour is.  At this point we got nothing to lose and I need me a fat Orioles package at all costs.  f*** Manfred & Jerry for putting us in this situation.

Cardinals always were on the other side of this equation...seemed pretty unfair or arbitrary, whatever the competitive balance parameters were set up.

At least some moribund franchises like Cincy and AZ woke up last year, but it's hard NOT to fault Baltimore for NOT spending unless they actually feel pressured to do so for some external reason. Elias is a smart dude, it doesn't take a Yale degree to appreciate their upcoming financial situation/projected future constraints.

I mean, all they have to do is look at where the Padres find themselves (minus Seidler and their RSN deal that overpaid them) for all of the negatives of the "go for it now" approach.   SD has actually fought to get back to 9th in the MiLB rankings, but it's going to take another series of big minor league trades to put themselves in a competitive position at the big league level since they can't spend hundreds of millions THIS TIME to fix their starting rotation depth issues.   Was all that worth two playoff appearances and one NLCS in a four year timespan?   They broke all kinds of attendance records and still need to cut to below $200 million.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Wouldn’t it be some s**t if the Sox were insistent on Jackson Holliday 

They’re probably smarter than that…or should be. They know the Os aren’t moving him, and have other prospects that are attractive. Just need to know when to pull the trigger when it’s realistic. 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bob Seymour = Alek Thomas teammate at Mount Carmel

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Hard to glean much without diving into each of those games,

Of course, but Cease held his own in 13 of those games. Or so. I can't seem to make B-R work, and maybe because I won't pay, But Cease isn't a worthless piece of human garbage who we should be sending a prospect along to move his money. 

I hyperbole.

He's a significant starting pitcher in the game, right now. No, not Randy Johnson in his prime. But Dylan Cease has value. Perhaps the most of any available starting pitcher either a free agent, or being offered by his controlling team. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Of course, but Cease held his own in 13 of those games. Or so. I can't seem to make B-R work, and maybe because I won't pay, But Cease isn't a worthless piece of human garbage who we should be sending a prospect along to move his money. 

I hyperbole.

He's a significant starting pitcher in the game, right now. No, not Randy Johnson in his prime. But Dylan Cease has value. Perhaps the most of any available starting pitcher either a free agent, or being offered by his controlling team. 

Completely agree. Even in a down year on a shitty team, he still showed his worth. The notion some are floating that he’s tarnished and not worth much in trade is absurd. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Completely agree. Even in a down year on a shitty team, he still showed his worth. The notion some are floating that he’s tarnished and not worth much in trade is absurd. 

Is “he’s not worth two top 100 prospects” equal to “he’s not worth much”?

5 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Is this a bad and unrealistic return from Baltimore?

BAL gets Cease.

Sox get Coby Mayo, Basallo, Enrique Bradfield, and their comp pick. 

I would say yes, that's more than the Sox will get. IMO one of Mayo or Basallo plus another of their top 8 or so would be a win. 

11 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This would be a haul. Rhett Lowder, Chase Petty, Carlos Jorge and Sammy Stafura was the asking the price. Hello! 

Definitely a huge return.  Most of those guys wouldn't be MLB ready for a couple years, and that pretty much solidifies what we know and what the Sox won't admit - the Sox are not competing in 2024.  But if the Reds' potential package is representative of what they could eventually get, things look much better for the future.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic