Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

Just now, steveno89 said:

Not sure I would be a fan if the Sox opted for a quantity over quality package for Cease

He is your best chance to return potential premium pieces outside of dealing Robert

Pieces? Then I'm in with you. More likely it will be a piece plus a couple more. The cupboard is bare. Give me four B+ over an A and three Ds. 

But when that one prime piece you are wanting is a ten time All Star I'll be eating these words. Lol

Have to imagine dodgers still need at least 2 more starters. Ohtani won't pitch till 2025. Gonsolin and May out with surgery for awhile. Walker Buehler is only main stay in rotation.  Kershaw a free agent tho can't see him going anywhere else. Cease being cheap and dodgers have a glut of prospects should make him really attractive to them.

3 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I wonder if as @CaliSoxFanViaSWside mentioned the Sox don't want Busch because he's bat only and maybe they want Lux (we were rumored to want him before) to play 2B for now since Busch doesn't have the glove for it and also as insurance in case Montgomery has to move to 3B soon and this is LAD way of getting a prospect with a 2024 ETA to quickly backfill Lux's spot in a trade?

If LAD offered Lux (2B/SS), Pages (RF) and a SP, I feel Getz would accept it. 

In this hypothetical, there is significant risk in the fact we are getting two guys coming off  legit injuries but they'd prolly be unavailable otherwise. 

I thought Lux was probably going to be the Dodgers starting SS. At least thats what the Dodgers GM said a week ago. Of course they just might be pumping up his value. https://dodgersnation.com/dodgers-gm-confirms-plan-for-gavin-lux-to-be-starting-shortstop-in-2024/2023/12/03/

Rosenthal had mentioned that the Dodgers might trade Lux to the Brewers for Willie Adames . Lux isnt as good at SS as Adames but he could play 2nd base. https://theathletic.com/5116877/2023/12/06/mlb-rumors-dodgers-reds-braves/  12/6/23 Rosenthal Winter Meetings article.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
link to Lux as starting SS for Dodgers

Yamamoto was supposed to meet with NYY today. I hope he finishes his meetings quickly and the agent doesn't string this out in a bidding war until the deadline for him to sign which I think is early January. 

I really want to see the Cease trade get done this month so we don't keep rehashing the same stuff over and over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Lux being a #1 or #2 piece would be a travesty.

Not sure I'd call it a travesty. With the Dodgers it's difficult to pick out who would be a headliner among their prospects.

Even after missing all of 2023 Lux might be the Sox 2nd or 3rd best hitter and a sorely needed LH bat and could play SS, 2nd or  LF. In 2022, before dealing with a neck injury, Lux seemed to have taken that next step at the plate. Anchoring the 9th spot in the order, Lux hit .307 with a .817 OPS in the first 90 games. His production did teeter towards the end of the year, but he showed the skills that made him a former Minor League Player of the Year. He just turned 26 and has 3 years before he reaches Free Agency in 2027

Among the other Dodgers who could be a part of a package you have Miguel Vargas 22 RH LF, 2nd, 1st, Diego Cartaya- RH C, Landon  Knack-26 RHP , Nick Frasso-25 RHP,  Gavin Stone-25 RHP, Trey Sweeney-23 LH SS, Josue De Paula 19 LH OF, A ball last year, Andy Page-23 RH OF,Ryan River 25-RHP, Kyle Hurt-RHP, Michel Busch-26-DH,1st,3rd,2nd. #1 or 2 depending where you look: Dalton Rushing 22 C,1st, A+level in minors.

Dodgers may also be looking to trade for the 1 year Corbin Burnes has left from the Brewers or use any of these prospects and/or Lux to get Adames from the Brewers too.

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not sure I'd call it a travesty. With the Dodgers it's difficult to pick out who would be a headliner among their prospects.

Even after missing all of 2023 Lux might be the Sox 2nd or 3rd best hitter and a sorely needed LH bat and could play SS, 2nd or  LF. In 2022, before dealing with a neck injury, Lux seemed to have taken that next step at the plate. Anchoring the 9th spot in the order, Lux hit .307 with a .817 OPS in the first 90 games. His production did teeter towards the end of the year, but he showed the skills that made him a former Minor League Player of the Year. He just turned 26 and has 3 years before he reaches Free Agency in 2027

Among the other Dodgers who could be a part of a package you have Miguel Vargas 22 RH LF, 2nd, 1st, Diego Cartaya- RH C, Landon  Knack-26 RHP , Nick Frasso-25 RHP,  Gavin Stone-25 RHP, Trey Sweeney-23 LH SS, Josue De Paula 19 LH OF, A ball last year, Andy Page-23 RH OF,Ryan River 25-RHP, Kyle Hurt-RHP, Michel Busch-26-DH,1st,3rd,2nd. #1 or 2 depending where you look: Dalton Rushing 22 C,1st, A+level in minors.

Dodgers may also be looking to trade for the 1 year Corbin Burnes has left from the Brewers or use any of these prospects and/or Lux to get Adames from the Brewers too.

We should not be trading for pieces with less than five years of control because there really is no hope of winning until 2026 at the earliest.  Lux doesn’t change that calculus and would be a poor fit for us from an asset standpoint.

• Like 2

From the Dodgers, who says no?:

1. C/1B Dalton Rushing (MLB Top 100: 43, Dodgers: 1)

2. SP Nick Frasso (65, 3), or ( Gavin Stone (79, 5) or another young arm that graduated from prospect status with 6+ years of control

3. SS Trey Sweeney (UR, 18) Left-handed hitting IF

4. OF Chris Newell (UR, 24) Left-handing hitting OF

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

2. SP Nick Frasso (65, 3), or ( Gavin Stone (79, 5) or another young arm that graduated from prospect status with 6+ years of control

Feels too light for the Sox IMO

• Like 3

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Feels too light for the Sox IMO

Yeah, I don't really love trading for another catching prospect. I feel like it's already a tough position to develop so I'm not sure I would waste 2 trade bullets on catchers. I tried to make the back half interesting enough players to help make up for it.

The Sox rebuild failed because they had zero prospect depth.  In a touch of irony, perhaps that explains the reluctance of the Orioles and Reds: "We don't want to be like you."

I think this ends up with the Dodgers who have prospects at the "use them or let them rot on the vine" stage.  Maybe the Braves, Mets or Padres.  A more mature team.  

16 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The Sox rebuild failed because they had zero prospect depth.  In a touch of irony, perhaps that explains the reluctance of the Orioles and Reds: "We don't want to be like you."

I think this ends up with the Dodgers who have prospects at the "use them or let them rot on the vine" stage.  Maybe the Braves, Mets or Padres.  A more mature team.  

I think there is plenty of interest in Cease out there, we just need to be patient

The main issue is that there are still quite a few free agent options in Yamamoto, Stroman, Wacha, Montgomery, Snell, etc. that are holding up the market a bit. Until more of those players sign, teams may not feel the pressure to up their trade offers. 

• Like 1

Baltimore has #20, 31, 34 draft picks in 2024. Must be nice. You just hope that they go after Cease and give in to some of their depth in the minors that are being blocked. I was against throwing in Santos in the Cease deal, but I'm now open to it.  Baltimore is the team that can help us the most to replenish our farm system/MLB team. Also, I trust their organization with the way they have been developing their young hitters. 

6 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

FWIW after perusing many sites and forums this offseason, my sense is Dodgers fans aren't keen on giving up Lux.

Lux is a brainworm that entered soxtalk in 2019 and has not left since.

We'll sign him when he's 36 and providing 80 wRC+

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

FWIW after perusing many sites and forums this offseason, my sense is Dodgers fans aren't keen on giving up Lux.

They shouldn't be! What people are missing when talking about the Dodgers now is that the Dodgers need guys like Lux, their young pitchers, their young OFs - these guys are cheap and under control for years. That's how they afford an Ohtani and a Betts - they have lots of income, but they also don't deplete their team around those guys, they The Dodgers are experts at rotating people through their lineup and roster, they have been for years. They need a good 4 middle infielders to cover the 3 positions, they need 4 outfielders, they need 7 starters and will hold some guys in the minor leagues to gain extra experience if needed. Giving away a SS with 3 years of control and a pitcher with 6 years of control is a potential setback for them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Its an interesting package. I just feel like Sox need to acquire a potential offensive difference maker in this deal.  Rushing is a really nice piece, but do we need to 2 top 100 C prospects when the rest of the cupboard is fairly bare after Colson, Quero and Ramos.

To me the Dodgers need to smash whatever offer the O's best offer is to get Cease.  Something like Sheehan, Fraso/Stone, Pages/Outman, and an interesting 4th piece. 

Not married to Pages or Outman by any means, but an MLB ready OF we can stick in RF as the 3rd piece is pretty nice.  

Biggest issue with any Dodgers package is all these dudes are old. 

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic