Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

11 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Astros might have the worst system in baseball 

Both of you are correct, that's why any concept of the Astros adding Cease has focused on doing something involving their major leaguers, someone dropped the idea in this thread of using McCormick (who was stunningly good last year in the OF, but who Dusty also under-used). But that's also a poor fit for the White Sox.

I also would definitely believe that the Astros think they can do what they did with Cole, get the guy cheaper than expected and then develop him properly. However, the Astros also don't make themselves better by trading away Framber, or really anyone else in their org, and acquiring Cease. They have a big problem in that they're running out of control on the guys they have, and they know it.

I think more that Framber is actually a possible problem for the White Sox. The Stros don't want to rebuild, but the Astros can also see the writing on the wall, with Altuve, Bregman, and Pressly free agents after this year and Verlander, Framber, and Tucker free agents after next year. If the Orioles were willing to put two strong prospects and a decent third piece on the table for a starting pitcher, there's a real risk the Astros would jump in as interested with the same deal for Framer. If they got an infielder back, they could then move Bregman this year to someone like the Yankees, clear out payroll, and suddenly think that they're in a spot to afford to extend Tucker and Altuve.

The concept of moving Framber and Bregman has gotten enough talk around here to know they've at least considered it internally.

7 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Kjerstad/Norby or Ortiz/Povich 

Cowser stunk in the bigs last year for the short time he was there 

I think they are scared to death Kjerstad ends up as a bat only 1B and that would be a crime against God according to Getz. 

Basically he is totally overcorrecting in order to look totally different than the prior regime.

I would be fine with either player but Cowser fits Getz "vision" better if you can call it that. 

6 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think they are scared to death Kjerstad ends up as a bat only 1B and that would be a crime against God according to Getz. 

Basically he is totally overcorrecting in order to look totally different than the prior regime.

I would be fine with either player but Cowser fits Getz "vision" better if you can call it that. 

Cool, then Kjerstad can replace Andrew Vaughn’s lack of power. 

I agree that the O's have the #1 farm system, no doubt. But it shows what a crapshoot all of this is that 3 of their top 5 prospects -- Basallo, Kjerstad, and Mayo -- all have significant 1b risk. Finding middle of the diamond players like Holliday, or for that matter Luis Robert, is pretty dang hard.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Cool, then Kjerstad can replace Andrew Vaughn’s lack of power. 

I would be fine with that but they aren't going to go with a 1B as the main piece unless Beavers is also coming so that OF is legitimately addressed and Oriole fans don't believe they will give up 2 of Cowser/Hjerstad/Beavers in the same package.

IMO, if they want Cowser as the OF I wish we could do a seperate deal with LAD for Busch. His value is obviously falling and they want to get something for him but once Cease is moved somewhere else I don't see anything we have that they would want besides obviously the untouchable asset.

Or maybe 3 team trade...send Vaughn somewhere, send the return to LAD and Busch to CWS. 

We need as many LHS as possible.

7 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Dude...I don't think he knows. Nobody knows right now who the leader is for Cease or what Baltimore is willing to do. I think everyone needs to relax and find something to do haha. The White Sox offices aren't even until next week. I'm sure Chris Getz is texting, chatting with GM's etc but he's letting the pitching market settle. I don't think anything is imminent in regards to Cease. 

Didn’t Hahn consummate the Quintana deal on vacation? I remember him telling a story of sneaking away on his cell phone in like an airport or something 

41 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Didn’t Hahn consummate the Quintana deal on vacation? I remember him telling a story of sneaking away on his cell phone in like an airport or something 

Getz made the Hill deal today even with the WS offices being closed.  He lives and breathes this stuff 24/7.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Getz made the Hill deal today even with the WS offices being closed.  He lives and breathes this stuff 24/7.

The first time he adds a potential 3 fWAR player, we can all celebrate.

Not counting on Fedde just yet.

It's not exactly like there were 8-10 teams in on Maldonado and Hill.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nardiwashere said:

Getz will probably just trade him to ATL.  People will think it’s because Getz wants pitching but I suspect Alex Anthopoulos is the only phone number Kenny and Rick left when they got canned and Getz is too shy to get anyone else’s contact info.  That’s why he keeps making trades with them.

AA has balls. He’s very similar to Theo Epstein, Mike Rizzo and Dave Dombrowski. These other GMs aren’t power players like that. It might be Braves ultimately because AA is actually willing to make the deal 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Yay, our GM signed a crappy reliever!

Personally, I wish Getz would have taken the week off instead.  Unfortunately, I doubt any other GM would’ve signed the awful Tim Hill before Getz clocked back into work when the White Sox offices reopen.

You must be easily impressed if you like seeing your GM sign two washed-up bums with a combined age of 71 and still try to sell them as good moves.  Woof…

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

AA has balls. He’s very similar to Theo Epstein, Mike Rizzo and Dave Dombrowski. These other GMs aren’t power players like that. It might be Braves ultimately because AA is actually willing to make the deal 

Preller too and they need starting pitching too

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You must be easily impressed if you like seeing your GM sign two washed-up bums with a combined age of 71 and still try to sell them as good moves.  Woof…

When did combined age become a thing? Your age, combined with Jerry Reinsdorf and Jimmy Carter is over 200 years old. Who listens to a guy who represents a combined age that dates back before baseball was invented? Go find a one-year-old, then you'll have some credibility. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m not sure a team that had a directive to cut payroll is going to want to deal prospects for Cease at this point.

That’s exactly why you deal prospects. Cease is a frontline starter that will cost $8m. Padres still have an awesome roster but they need pitching. You think they want to waste more years of their window in hopes that some high A or AA player makes the team in two years then contributes a year or two later? They paid a haul for Soto but it’s not like they miss any of those players.

14 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

When did combined age become a thing? Your age, combined with Jerry Reinsdorf and Jimmy Carter is over 200 years old. Who listens to a guy who represents a combined age that dates back before baseball was invented? Go find a one-year-old, then you'll have some credibility. 

Okay, go ahead and see at how over-the-hill Maldonado and Hill did individually last year.  They were a pile of suck.  If you think players improve in their mid-30’s, more power to ya.

@WestEddy got so clowned on his Getz opinions in the other thread that he had to revert to this Joaquin Phoenix Joker character.  Enjoy, WestEddy.  I’ll get my popcorn ready.

https://www.soxtalk.com/forums/topic/116647-white-sox-getz-have-more-work-to-do-before-spring-training-opens/

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

They were a pile of suck.

Of course they were. I'm just unsure how "combined age" makes any argument stronger. 

Everybody I argued with decided I was right and agreed with me. An entire department is mapping out teaching my special brand of quantum logic at Harvard this next semester. If I'm a clown, I'm a clown that the entire academic world recognizes as a ground breaking, new, logic-bomb clown who doesn't make people laugh, but rub their chins and go, "Hmmmm" in deep thought to gain intelligence. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, striker said:

I don’t think Cease is traded until the SP market is cleared out. Giolito, Stroman, Manea, Montgomery, Snell, Imanaga, Montas, Clevinger. The exception would be a gm that thinks Cease is that final piece, but I don’t think anyone feels that way.

Manaea/Montas/Clevinger definitely one tier down due to a variety of issues.   Giolito and Stroman also tarnished.

It's Snell/Montgomery............Imanaga, then a big drop down.   Some teams are also putting Yariel Rodriguez pretty darned high up there, the Sox, not so much, seeing his ceiling as a reliever.

Then you've got Bieber/Burnes...MAYBE.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic