Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Sox72 said:

You’re spending a considerable amount of time on the message board for a team that’s not even in your division. And getting upset about random posters’ inconsequential opinions.

So….I imagine it means quite a bit….

Yeah the fact he’s still here posting and replying says everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sox72 said:

You’re spending a considerable amount of time on the message board for a team that’s not even in your division. And getting upset about random posters’ inconsequential opinions.

So….I imagine it means quite a bit….

Upset ? No …. I simply edited my post as not to upset your admin staff. I actually find much of the tension by many of your posters interesting. I don’t hold many anger, ill will, or anything against the White Sox, this board, and you guys. 

I hope for you to get a good return for Cease. I hope your retooling or build is fast. But, if you think I care if a random posters puts me on ignore. I absolutely don’t but I appreciate your concern. 

Arroyo and Marte were in A and A+ when they were traded. A lot of the Orioles prospects are in AAA and are major league ready. So comparing them by the team ranking or top 100 ranking doesn’t work. Cowser, Mayo, Westburg and Kjerstad all have much more value today then when Marte was traded for Castillo.

I can see the argument for the Reds players. Most of them aren’t in the higher levels, so there is more risk.

The other factor working against Getz is it’s the offseason. Less pressure for GMs to make a big move than the trade deadline. The exception would be the large market teams. The Orioles won 100 games last year without Cease and only lost Gibson. Not a lot of pressure to make a big splash.

1 minute ago, striker said:

Arroyo and Marte were in A and A+ when they were traded. A lot of the Orioles prospects are in AAA and are major league ready. So comparing them by the team ranking or top 100 ranking doesn’t work. Cowser, Mayo, Westburg and Kjerstad all have much more value today then when Marte was traded for Castillo.

I can see the argument for the Reds players. Most of them aren’t in the higher levels, so there is more risk.

The other factor working against Getz is it’s the offseason. Less pressure for GMs to make a big move than the trade deadline. The exception would be the large market teams. The Orioles won 100 games last year without Cease and only lost Gibson. Not a lot of pressure to make a big splash.

Dodgers, Yankees, Mets, Boston, San Diego still make the most sense to me.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, striker said:

They lost their stud closer as well who is likely a big reason they exceeded their Pythagorean W-L projection.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, striker said:

And Flaherty, not that he pitched all that well...three question marks in the back end of the rotation until proven otherwise, and lots of variance possible with their 1/2 TOR guys as well.

52 minutes ago, striker said:

Dodgers, Yankees, Mets, Boston, San Diego still make the most sense to me.

The Padres' top two are the youngest catching prospect in the game in Salas and Merrill/SS.

Anyone else but those two would probably be up for discussion.

Cease is exactly what they need...cost certainty for two years/won't blow up the budget and will provide a great amount of stability to the 2-3 spot in the rotation, perhaps as high a #1 depending on Darvish and Musgrove in terms of their health.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

And Flaherty, not that he pitched all that well...three question marks in the back end of the rotation until proven otherwise, and lots of variance possible with their 1/2 TOR guys as well.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned much on here is that Bradish and Rodriguez saw big increases in their workload last year.  Bradish was up 40 innings or so from the previous year, while Rodriguez increased by around 90.  That team is going to keep having to add to their pitching depth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fathom said:

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned much on here is that Bradish and Rodriguez saw big increases in their workload last year.  Bradish was up 40 innings or so from the previous year, while Rodriguez increased by around 90.  That team is going to keep having to add to their pitching depth.

White Sox fans are quite familiar with what happened second half of 2006...

Basically, the entire staff started to break down...but especially guys like Garcia, Contreras and pretty sure Buehrle as well.  Quite memorably Jenks out of the pen started to have his struggles as well.

Of course, that was "just" 2-3 additional starts during that playoff run, because they also had McCarthy helping out, too.  El Duque out of the pen, etc.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Red Sox appear to be legit broke based on their 2/$26M offer to Teoscar…you have to think Cease’s $8M salary would be super appealing to them.

You mean JR style cost-cutting management where the goal is to finish in second ... except that historic franchise basically has no excuses for not basically printing money, with the main issue relatively smaller stadium capacity/luxury box revenue.

15 hours ago, Rolle Tide said:

Maybe Getz can get Ruth, Aaron, Clemens, and Nolan Ryan?

That’s ridiculous.  

Lowder hasn’t even pitched professionally. 

Petty started the year with an elbow injury which delayed his start, averaged like 4 IP and only logged 60 innings.  He’s young but that’s all kinda yikes too.  

Arroyo by all accounts struggled pretty bad last year.  He was no Joey Headlines out there.  

At least Phillips logged 100IP but he posts some really high WHIPS.  So he’s all over the place.  

So yea, I’m not doing cartwheels to get a bunch of really young pitching that hasn’t really logged the innings yet.  Like I said, I get it if a pitching-heavy return floats your boat.  

Id rather plug in Mayo and Cowser all day. 

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This is very interesting.  I'm not a Prada guy so I would replace him with Clifford or Gilbert but this isn't bad.

Yeah, if I could get one of their other top prospects or Baty instead of Parada, that would be an accept from me.

2 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

That’s ridiculous.  

Lowder hasn’t even pitched professionally. 

Petty started the year with an elbow injury which delayed his start, averaged like 4 IP and only logged 60 innings.  He’s young but that’s all kinda yikes too.  

Arroyo by all accounts struggled pretty bad last year.  He was no Joey Headlines out there.  

At least Phillips logged 100IP but he posts some really high WHIPS.  So he’s all over the place.  

So yea, I’m not doing cartwheels to get a bunch of really young pitching that hasn’t really logged the innings yet.  Like I said, I get it if a pitching-heavy return floats your boat.  

Id rather plug in Mayo and Cowser all day. 

On Lowder, Shultz on pitched 27 innings and your prospect guy is over the top on him. Lowder was the 7th selection not the 26th. The only reason he didn’t pitch was organizational philosophy. A number of teams do it this way. 

Petty pitched 68 innings, the last 2 starts were 4 innings each where he gave up no runs. They are surely being conservative with him. He has 2 plus (Grade 60 pitches) his FB and Slider. The other 2 are said to be MLB average and obviously could improve. 

Arroyo didn’t have a great year but he still had a .750+ OPS , had 10 triples, 13 Home runs, and stole 28 bases. if he gives you .750 OPS with plus defense and speed he’s super valuable. 

Phillips has pitched 100 innings 2 years in a row plus 20 innings in the bigs. I’m betting it’s more the Reds philosophy than his shortcomings in regards to innings. 

this would c.early be a good haul with or without a sweetener. 

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

No to proposed Mets trade

No joke… I mean one of those clowns who used to be here said we were getting babe Ruth and Nolan Ryan.

sick.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/10-predictions-rest-2024-mlb-112110146.html

Now seeing predictions Cease won’t move until the trade deadline.

Going for the Jose Quintana FIP rollercoaster…at least that one ended well.

The bullet point about the Royals outspending the AL East is hilarious…

I'm split on if he is moved. If they keep him, just keep improving the defense. Depending on who else they add for RF, play Brett Phillips on the days he's on the mound, unless whoever they add is above average defensively. No Eloy in the OF on those days (that should be ever but we know this org ha).

Edited by Bob Sacamano

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic