Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I feel like Rutherford didn't have the upside that Jones does. I also don't remember Rutherford having the monster EVs like Spencer.

They are nothing alike.  Rutherford was a high hit tool with average or below tools everywhere else.  Jones is poor hit tool, double plus power, and average or better everywhere else.

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Wow, that’s actually pretty shocking. Do I need to do a deep dive into the Giants’ farm system next?

IMO....they will be forced to sign one of the big two and cave in to Boras to quell fan demand which is fine with me. IMO it would prolly be Snell cause Montgomery wants to be in TEX.

54 minutes ago, striker said:

I'd take Orioles players over Jones as a headliner 7 days a week. Mayo, Westburg, Kjerstad, Cowser, Norby, Ortiz, Beavers have all succeeded in AA and/or AAA, so much easier to project. I also think that's why you can't compare it to the Red/Castillo trade. It took both Marte/Arroyo because they were A/A+ and therefore came with more risk.

Jones had a .787 OPS in A+. Struckout 30% of the time. 9% BB rate, which is good, but could change when he gets to a higher level. Seems "fine" but just doesn't make it "move" like the Orioles prospects do.

I mean, if "you" are ok with Jones as a headliner, would you be ok with Beavers has a headliner? They are the same age and progression schedule and Beavers number blow Jones out of the water.

Beaver+Norby+Povich >> anything Yankees could offer.

I couldn’t disagree more here.  I love me some Beavers, but his ceiling isn’t even remotely close to Jones’.  Norby is an all bat, no glove RH hitting prospect that doesn’t move the needle for us at all.  Povich hasn’t performed very well in the upper minors and doesn’t have elite stuff.  That’s a horrible package and one the Yankees could blow out of the water.  If Getz were to accept that package from the Orioles I’d want him fired on the spot.

We should honestly be holding onto Cease unless a team blows us away with an offer. Teams will offer more at the deadline and cease hopefully will have a bounceback year.

As Mike Tyson famously said everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Almost every year teams overrate their own pitching situation then injuries take hold, guys underperform, and the realization comes that actually they don't have the horses for a deep playoff run.

With the new format there are always going to be more buyers than sellers the premium price for a frontline guy starting the playoffs will be much more rather than just a guy to plug a hole which lets be honest that is more of the mindset at this point for most teams. 

• Fire 1

Spencer Jones < Kjerstad, Mayo, Basallo, or Holliday (I know not available just saying) and that’s it. 

I would take Spencer Jones as a headliner over anybody else in the O’s system. 

Dominguez < Holliday and that’s it 

Edited by Rey21

24 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Spencer Jones < Kjerstad, Mayo, Basallo, or Holliday (I know not available just saying) and that’s it. 

I would take Spencer Jones as a headliner over anybody else in the O’s system. 

Dominguez < Holliday and that’s it 

I generally agree with this, which is why I like the top two of Jones/Hampton better than the top two of Cowser/Ortiz that seems to be the most popular proposal being floated by Orioles fans.

22 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I generally agree with this, which is why I like the top two of Jones/Hampton better than the top two of Cowser/Ortiz that seems to be the most popular proposal being floated by Orioles fans.

I'd take the Orioles if based soley on those top 2.

Comparing Jones to Rutherford is peak soxtalk comps lol. Just like that year where every infielder with a good glove but not amazing offense was basically Yolmer Sanchez so we didn't need to get them.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Kjerstad, Ortiz, Povich is where I’m gonna hold at. No more (unless of course they’d give us more), no less though, feel like that’s a great meeting point for both teams. 

Cowser granted in a small sample size just doesn’t do it for me at all. 

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Comparing Jones to Rutherford is peak soxtalk comps lol. Just like that year where every infielder with a good glove but not amazing offense was basically Yolmer Sanchez so we didn't need to get them.

So, Ortiz = Yolmer?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Kjerstad, Ortiz, Povich is where I’m gonna hold at. No more (unless of course they’d give us more), no less though, feel like that’s a great meeting point for both teams. 

Cowser granted in a small sample size just doesn’t do it for me at all. 

I'd much rather get someone else besides Povich

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So, Ortiz = Yolmer?

LMAO yeah i forgot as Quin said, Madrigal is the new Yolmer. Loved last year when people complained Jacob Gonzalez was basically like drafting Madrigal (fair in that they both suck)

38 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Nah, he's being referred to as Madrigal 2.0 in this thread.

I told Sports Dude he was a slightly younger Nicky Lopez to get a rise. He didn't take the bait. I guess he has so much other bait to take, his hands were full. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

So, as it stands right now, your rotation is Cease, Fedde, Kopech, Crochet and Soroka. Toussant probably makes the bullpen, you have Shuster, Scholtens, Flexen and Kuhl behind them, and Mena, Nastrini, Sean Burke and Jonathan Stiever in AA or AAA. Davis Martin probably comes back 2nd half. 

That isn't horrible rotational depth, if there's a plan to nurture soroka, flexen and kuhl. Martin replaces Cease if he's traded at the deadline, and they have enough guys for a revolving door in the 4 and 5 spots. 

Get a RF, and I can see a .500 team if I squint. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Sox writer* speculates package will need to be Jones and Hampton

https://www.soxon35th.com/report-yankees-ready-to-make-a-trade-for-cease/

*Sox blogger who is no more in the know than any of the rest of us.

Sox On 35th is also known for plagiarizing other's work, so take anything written there with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

So, as it stands right now, your rotation is Cease, Fedde, Kopech, Crochet and Soroka. Toussant probably makes the bullpen, you have Shuster, Scholtens, Flexen and Kuhl behind them, and Mena, Nastrini, Sean Burke and Jonathan Stiever in AA or AAA. Davis Martin probably comes back 2nd half. 

That isn't horrible rotational depth, if there's a plan to nurture soroka, flexen and kuhl. Martin replaces Cease if he's traded at the deadline, and they have enough guys for a revolving door in the 4 and 5 spots. 

Get a RF, and I can see a .500 team if I squint. 

Crochet isn't a starter.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic