Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

Hi Sox fans -

I haven’t poked my head in here for a few weeks, and said I wouldn’t unless and until there was a solid rumor or an actual deal involving Cease.  But I decided to make a brief exception today to mention the ZiPS projection for Cease that came out today.  Briefly, the median projection is for 166 innings at a 3.90 ERA, 111 ERA+.   There’s also an 80th percentile projection at a 3.32 ERA, and a 20th percentile projection at 4.81 ERA.

The gap between the 80th and 20th percentile projections is really wide.   For example, here are the 80/20 projections for the Orioles’ four incumbent starters:

Bradish 3.16/4.29

Rodriguez 3.40/4.41

Kremer 3.49/4,69

Means 3.78/4.83

The 80/20 “risk band” on those four ranges from 1.01 - 1.20 runs per game, whereas Cease’s is 1.49.   So, for whatever reason, ZiPS sees Cease as a guy whose performance could fluctuate a lot more than some other pitchers, at least with respect to ERA.  

Overall, that portrait of Cease is pretty much consistent with how I see him.   But if anything, the 80th percentile scenario is probably not as strong as I would have guessed.  

I will leave this for you guys to consider and discuss.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SoxAce said:

But I was told we need to just accept whatever is being offered because it's not going to go up before ST.

This article is correct. This is not the time to fall prey to other teams disinformation and scare tactics. Do not get weak kneed. 

Someone WILL pay ...good pitching that is cheap and controlled is very valuable. 

Westburg, Beavers and McDermott is not adequate.

Warren, Lombard and a lottery ticket is awful.

Gavin Stone and Diego Cartaya is crap.

NO.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

But I was told we need to just accept whatever is being offered because it's not going to go up before ST.

This article is correct. This is not the time to fall prey to other teams disinformation and scare tactics. Do not get weak kneed. 

Someone WILL pay ...good pitching that is cheap and controlled is very valuable. 

Westburg, Beavers and McDermott is not adequate.

Warren, Lombard and a lottery ticket is awful.

Gavin Stone and Diego Cartaya is crap.

NO.

Yeah, all of those are easy "no's" for me

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Hi Sox fans -

I haven’t poked my head in here for a few weeks, and said I wouldn’t unless and until there was a solid rumor or an actual deal involving Cease.  But I decided to make a brief exception today to mention the ZiPS projection for Cease that came out today.  Briefly, the median projection is for 166 innings at a 3.90 ERA, 111 ERA+.   There’s also an 80th percentile projection at a 3.32 ERA, and a 20th percentile projection at 4.81 ERA.

The gap between the 80th and 20th percentile projections is really wide.   For example, here are the 80/20 projections for the Orioles’ four incumbent starters:

Bradish 3.16/4.29

Rodriguez 3.40/4.41

Kremer 3.49/4,69

Means 3.78/4.83

The 80/20 “risk band” on those four ranges from 1.01 - 1.20 runs per game, whereas Cease’s is 1.49.   So, for whatever reason, ZiPS sees Cease as a guy whose performance could fluctuate a lot more than some other pitchers, at least with respect to ERA.  

Overall, that portrait of Cease is pretty much consistent with how I see him.   But if anything, the 80th percentile scenario is probably not as strong as I would have guessed.  

I will leave this for you guys to consider and discuss.   

So you don't believe in fWAR for assessing pitchers?

At any rate, the odds of Cease having a lower ERA with veteran catching and improved overall defensive play across the board are not being taken into account...nor the injection of Bannister into the equation.

At this point...roll the dice.

Someone will go down in spring training.

Hopefully it's not Cease

Orioles have to also consider their prospects aging out or regressing...and how much higher the cost at the trade trade deadline will be, not to mention opportunity cost of getting left behind in the first three months of the season with few in-house alternatives to inject into the rotation.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

But I decided to make a brief exception today to mention the ZiPS projection for Cease that came out today.  Briefly, the median projection is for 166 innings at a 3.90 ERA, 111 ERA+.

We've all accepted that cease will degrade into a 33 year old cease for the 2024 season. that's why his value only tops out at a joey ortiz 1:1 trade.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

So you don't believe in fWAR for assessing pitchers?

At any rate, the odds of Cease having a lower ERA with veteran catching and improved overall defensive play across the board are not being taken into account...nor the injection of Bannister into the equation.

I’m not a huge fan of fWAR, to be honest, for reasons relating to ludicrous overvaluations they gave to Sidney Ponson and Ubaldo Jimenez back in the days when they were Orioles.  And I think with Statcast derived stats like xERA, FIP (on which fWAR is based) is kind of outdated.   But I do look at and consider fWAR, I’m just not overly reliant on it.  

Anyway, ZiPS has its own version of WAR, zWAR.   Its median projection for Cease is 3.0 zWAR, with the 80th percentile projection at 4.1 and the 20th percentile at 1.3.   

I think your point that Cease probably eoukd fare better with the Orioles’ defense and catchers is well-taken.  On the other hand, making 4-5 extra starts against AL East opponents instead of AL Central opponents will cut the other way.  

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not a huge fan of fWAR, to be honest, for reasons relating to ludicrous overvaluations they gave to Sidney Ponson and Ubaldo Jimenez back in the days when they were Orioles.  And I think with Statcast derived stats like xERA, FIP (on which fWAR is based) is kind of outdated.   But I do look at and consider fWAR, I’m just not overly reliant on it.  

Anyway, ZiPS has its own version of WAR, zWAR.   Its median projection for Cease is 3.0 zWAR, with the 80th percentile projection at 4.1 and the 20th percentile at 1.3.   

I think your point that Cease probably eoukd fare better with the Orioles’ defense and catchers is well-taken.  On the other hand, making 4-5 extra starts against AL East opponents instead of AL Central opponents will cut the other way.  

I've figured out a way that Cease could be pitched to go Tigers, Royals, Cincy, KC, @Minn and Minnesota, lol.

Avoiding Atlanta, @CLE, @Philly and TB.

That's for the first month.  Now I highly doubt Dylan would even accept being used this way...he would think of it as being "hidden" away from the very best teams and it would be too obvious.

I think he will actually WANT to pitch against Atlanta (he's from that area), @Philly and TB at home because he loves competition...

Orioles going to have to roll the dice

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/brandon-woodruff-baltimore-orioles-free-agency-opportunity-matt9

Old article but certainly still relevant...

"They found that 68 per cent of the players were able to get back into action (pitching competitively) approximately 12 months after surgery.

Some players were able to return to pitching within nine months after the surgery. Others were not ready for a year and a half (18 months). Very few actually made it back to sports participation the same year they had the surgery. This was especially true for those who had rotator cuff or labral surgery."

eorthopod.com/news/rate-of-return-to-el

Edited by caulfield12

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Balanced. Schedule.

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

New WS Talk podcast with Jesse Rogers about Cease.  Sounds like it’s Orioles or bust, but likely no trade before the season starts.  He implied that the Sox are asking for Mayo.

I would ask for Mayo, too.

Mayo is their #4 prospect, Gonzalez is our #4 prospect.  Big difference.

24 minutes ago, Baron said:

Lol definitely acting like a serious playoff team. 

Elias just has to show opponents the O’s prospect rankings and voilá, instant forfeit. Easiest waltz to the World Series in the history of organized baseball. 

2 hours ago, fathom said:

New WS Talk podcast with Jesse Rogers about Cease.  Sounds like it’s Orioles or bust, but likely no trade before the season starts.  He implied that the Sox are asking for Mayo.

I'm pretty sure the only person who ever talked to Jesse no longer works for the White Sox.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, fathom said:

I'm not a fan of Mayo being the ask for this team. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm not a fan of Mayo being the ask for this team. 

Because you want Montgomery at third?

Mayo can also play 1B and corner outfield and has a 70 arm…supposedly.

Basallo is off the table for sure.

Always comes back to some combo of Kjerstad Cowser Westburg…then prospects that are two or more years out.

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Always comes back to some combo of Kjerstad Cowser Westburg…then prospects that are two or more years out.

What's the point of a 70 arm if you are at 1B?

I'm glad he has alot of power but he's still RH which is a problem.

Kjerstad and Westburg and one of the pitchers. That's about 50m-55m in SV and that's around where Cease should be taking into account the SP premium.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Because they won’t trade him

• Like 1

If Mayo is the ask, fine, if a trade with the O’s goes down as long as one of Mayo/Kjerstad + Westburg, I’m golden. Otherwise regardless of what a certain few have said about the negatives of keeping Cease, Chris Getz feels otherwise so we have no choice but to be cool with letting Dylan cook with Maldonado and Bannister. More teams will be ready to jump come the deadline, Mike Elias doesn’t have the cajones to do it right now 

Edited by Rey21

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic