Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Something like Bryce Miller, Dominic Canzone, Gabriel Gonzalez and Michael Arroyo makes sense to me. 

I think I'd be pretty bummed if they couldn't pry one of the three position players BA has ranked right around 50 in the top 100.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

I think I'd be pretty bummed if they couldn't pry one of the three position players BA has ranked right around 50 in the top 100.

Gabriel Gonzalez isn’t? He’d be a great get. He’d be my target

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

22 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Gabriel Gonzalez isn’t? He’d be a great get. He’d be my target

Nah. BA has him behind Lazaro Montes who slots in right at 100.

Not going to pretend I know tons on the player, but I don't love the defensive concerns/conditioning I'm reading. Everything else sounds great though. I just fear he becomes the positionless slugger profile. While there is value to be had there, I'd be more interested in prospects with some actual defensive acumen.

Ht: 5'10" | Wt: 165 | B-T: R-R

BA Grade: 55/Very High

Track Record: Gonzalez signed with the Mariners for $1.3 million out of Venezuela and moved quickly after signing. He reached Low-A Modesto as an 18-year-old in his first season in the U.S. and opened back in Modesto in 2023. Gonzalez overcame an early arm injury to demolish California League pitching and earned a promotion to High-A Everett in the second half. He hit .298/.361/.476 with 18 homers between the two levels and finished second in the Mariners organization with 142 hits.

Scouting Report: Gonzalez is a thick, stocky righthanded hitter with a bowling ball frame. He has strong hands, excellent hand-eye coordination and a fast, powerful swing that generates loud contact from line to line. He is particularly adept driving the ball the opposite way to right-center field and has a knack for delivering in clutch moments. Gonzalez impacts the ball when he finds the barrel, but he’s an extremely aggressive free-swinger who swings at too many pitches he can’t drive. His aggressiveness was exploited by more advanced pitchers in High-A, and he must reel in his approach to hit enough as he moves up. His strength gives him plus power potential if he improves his approach. Gonzalez continues to get larger every year and has slowed to a well below-average runner. He has regressed to a below-average defender in right field with limited range and is prone to misjudging fly balls. He has plus-plus arm strength and recorded 12 outfield assists in 88 games on defense last year.

The Future: Gonzalez’s natural hitting gifts are exciting, but his size and aggressiveness create concern both inside and outside the Mariners organization. He needs to improve his conditioning and approach to fulfill his potential as an everyday, power-hitting right fielder.

Scouting Grades Hit: 45 | Power: 60 | Run: 30 | Field: 40 | Arm: 70

Edited by DirtySox

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

I think the problem is - a lot of people posting in this thread live in a fairytale land where Cease's value is remotely near what it was a year ago.

The White Sox need to either accept poor value back for him or gamble that he repairs his value a bit during the season while still here.

Makes no sense to accept "poor value back" when you have control of him for another two years.  Ask for the most and settle on something a little less.  Time is on the Sox side, competing teams in the hunt will buckle if they have a SP need to put them over the hump whether or not Cease is considered a #1 or #2 SP.  That and spring training or early season injuries will be enough to get someone to bite.  The Sox are in no hurry to accept poor value for an SP.  

Chris Sale at 34 signed a 2 year 38 million contract with the Braves with his injury history so teams will pay when it comes to SP and getting a 28 year old with 2 years left on his contract as our former governor said is "Golden"

Edited by A-Train to 35th

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Something like Bryce Miller, Dominic Canzone, Gabriel Gonzalez and Michael Arroyo makes sense to me. 

They're already thin in the OF. This just creates a hole without really filling a need.

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

Miller doesn’t impress me at all due to his reliance on fastballs.  He was bad away from his cavernous home park last year.

He definitely had some rough starts down the stretch. If Getz is hell bent on getting pitching back, I wouldn't say no to Miller.

Mariners (4)
37. Cole Young, SS/2B (2025)
38. Harry Ford, C (ETA: 2025)
79. Gabriel Gonzalez, OF (ETA: 2026)
87. Colt Emerson, SS/2B (ETA: 2026)
The Mariners still have a pretty young group in Seattle, so there presumably can be patience in letting this exciting quartet of hitters develop. This foursome, however, may push the envelope anyway. The Mariners clearly have a good thing going in drafting high school bats in the first round, with their last three picks -- Ford in 2021, Young in 2022 and Emerson last year -- all landing on the Top 100 with up arrows next to their names.

mlb.com

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

– It’s hard to believe the Baltimore Orioles, after winning 101 games last year, won’t do anything more this winter than sign veteran closer Craig Kimbrel to a one-year, $13 million contract to replace injured Felix Bautista. 

They need another frontline starter, but talks with the White Sox for Dylan Cease have stopped. 

Shocking

Still never thought Baltimore ownership would sign off on paying both cost controlled prospects, their most valuable assets, and paying Cease $20M over the next two seasons.

Seattle also has bad ownership, but they have cut net OD payroll year over year by $4.4M, instead of piss it away on Craig Kimbrel.

I can see their skinflint owner signing off on a Cease acquisition to bring a modest $3.6M net increase in OD 2024 payroll if they think they can possibly snag a 80+ win wild card spot and generate several million in playoff revenue plus increased regular season ticket sales. 

Baltimore gets $320M in revenue simply by existing, so they have zero incentive to ever reach a World Series over the rest of the millennium. Seattle has a lot more potential revenue if they can find a way to win, since they don’t collect tens of millions in welfare cheese from the Bud Selig “Revenue Sharing”, i. e. small market permanent tanking funding.

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

Still never thought Baltimore ownership would sign off on paying both cost controlled prospects, their most valuable assets, and paying Cease $20M over the next two seasons.

Seattle also has bad ownership, but they have cut net OD payroll year over year by $4.4M, instead of piss it away on Craig Kimbrel.

I can see their skinflint owner signing off on a Cease acquisition to bring a modest $3.6M net increase in OD 2024 payroll if they think they can possibly snag a 80+ win wild card spot and generate several million in playoff revenue plus increased regular season ticket sales. 

Baltimore gets $320M in revenue simply by existing, so they have zero incentive to ever reach a World Series over the rest of the millennium. Seattle has a lot more potential revenue if they can find a way to win, since they don’t collect tens of millions in welfare cheese from the Bud Selig “Revenue Sharing”, i. e. small market permanent tanking funding.

The only thing stopping Mike Elias from trading for Dylan Cease is Mike Elias. 
Ownership won’t allow Elias to spend on Blake Snell or Jordan Montgomery.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic