Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

51 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You might be right, which is just insane IMO.  The positional depth in our system is very poor with little outfield talent.  I wouldn’t pass on a pitching headliner if it were someone with a legit TOR ceiling, but we shouldn’t be passing on positional prospects if they are available.

We already got our own version of Hall from the Marlins for Burger, thanks KW!

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Me and Aly have discussed privately and decided to cancel the ban bet.  While I know @ron883 will be disappointed, we felt a better proposal was to ban all Orioles posters if/when a Cease trade happens and he commands a headliner better than Joey Ortiz.

I was as excited about Joey Ortiz as I was giving Leury $16M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Sooo he’s making that Opening Day start isn’t he? Just hope teams that have added this offseason will need to add again in the summer. Teams always need pitching.

Sure looks that way now. A cherry atop this s%*# off-season. 

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Sure looks that way now. A cherry atop this s%*# off-season. 

It makes the team easier to watch which is what I kind of like in my team.  I had no issue with looking to trade him and getting over slot value for him but to be pissed they didn't make a trade makes no sense to me.  Enjoy he is here, if in fact he is here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Getz knows that he has the upper hand in any negotiation for Cease.  There are still teams that need pitching and could/should be willing to part with what Getz wants in return.  There's less pressure on the Sox to deal Cease than there is on other teams to add a pitcher that could be crucial to their season and post-season hopes.  If Cease is with the Sox on opening day and has even a decent first half, he will still command a haul in return if traded.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, hogan873 said:

Getz knows that he has the upper hand in any negotiation for Cease.  There are still teams that need pitching and could/should be willing to part with what Getz wants in return.  There's less pressure on the Sox to deal Cease than there is on other teams to add a pitcher that could be crucial to their season and post-season hopes.  If Cease is with the Sox on opening day and has even a decent first half, he will still command a haul in return if traded.

Right. Just put the best defense behind him and let him pitch himself onto a contender.

12 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

It makes the team easier to watch which is what I kind of like in my team.  I had no issue with looking to trade him and getting over slot value for him but to be pissed they didn't make a trade makes no sense to me.  Enjoy he is here, if in fact he is here.

Oh I’m totally fine not moving him is this is the sort of return available. This team is going to be dreadful again, but the possible influx of new talent was about the only thing I was remotely excited about entering spring training. Now I’m back to being immensely apathetic about their fortunes until Montgomery gets the call or we do this all over again at the trade deadline. 

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

This is a strange thing to say. He doesn’t have the upper hand or else Dylan would have been moved. You go to a garage sale and refuse to sell your hutch for less than $1000 and nobody balked, sure,  you still have an asset that may hit $1000,  but you also have to keep paying to store it because you have no current use for it.

The market wasn’t good this winter for a trade. That has proven out. He’s not wrong for holding him, but we don’t need to lie that we are in a strong position. We are a 100 loss team whose best asset to trade entered a well supplied market. 

Yippy what a great position we are in!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is a strange thing to say. He doesn’t have the upper hand or else Dylan would have been moved. You go to a garage sale and refuse to sell your hutch for less than $1000 and nobody balked, sure,  you still have an asset that may hit $1000,  but you also have to keep paying to store it because you have no current use for it.

The market wasn’t good this winter for a trade. That has proven out. He’s not wrong for holding him, but we don’t need to lie that we are in a strong position. We are a 100 loss team whose best asset to trade entered a well supplied market. 

And now we have to worry about if 2022 was actually a fluke.  Was hoping that would be another team’s problem.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

But you also don't sell your $1000 hutch for $500 when there's still time for someone to come along and give you $800.  Just because the Sox have the upper hand doesn't mean Cease would have been traded.  No one has offered what the Sox want and what Cease is worth.

• Hawk 1

17 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Getz had the upper hand. Not anymore. You’re asking Cease to pitch like he did in 2022. Realistically, if that is his ceiling and 2023 is his floor, he will likely end up somewhere in the middle. Now you have added risk of injury and his team control  decreasing by the day. I don’t see a scenario where his value is going to magically increase to the level that Getz is asking.

Just now, fathom said:

And now we have to worry about if 2022 was actually a fluke.  Was hoping that would be another team’s problem.

Eh, in terms of “worry” all you have to worry about is if he stays healthy. 

if 2022 was a fluke, then you will still have a guy with strong stuff, a high K rate, a multi year record at making every start, with 1.5 years of control. The deal the Os just made isn’t far from what the White Sox got for 0.6 years (2 playoff runs worth) of control for Lynn and Giolito at the deadline. There’s little reason to think that 1.5 years of Cease can’t garner as much or more than this deal even if he struggles again.

Plus, maybe him struggling will finally get us a new pitching coach. Our current one is surviving because he got Carlos Rodon in shape 3 years ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Getz had the upper hand. Not anymore. You’re asking Cease to pitch like he did in 2022. Realistically, if that is his ceiling and 2023 is his floor, he will likely end up somewhere in the middle. Now you have added risk of injury and his team control  decreasing by the day. I don’t see a scenario where his value is going to magically increase to the level that Getz is asking.

If he pitches like 2022 then yes his value should jump to what Getz wanted, so clearly you do know what is involved in that scenario.

• Fire 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic