Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

Just go with Arias, Hampton, Lalane, & Rice.  Timeline wise, it probably pushes out legit competitiveness another year, but that probably happens anyways if you assume Robert is dealt next off-season for prospects.  Regardless, it’s hard to see a better package than that without holding Cease into the season and it’s very possible that Arias & Lalane’s stock has skyrocketed five months from now.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just go with Arias, Hampton, Lalane, & Rice.  Timeline wise, it probably pushes out legit competitiveness another year, but that probably happens anyways if you assume Robert is dealt next off-season for prospects.  Regardless, it’s hard to see a better package than that without holding Cease into the season and it’s very possible that Arias & Lalane’s stock has skyrocketed five months from now.

I’d rather just see what happens next couple months than take that deal. It’s fine, but I’m certain Getz wants more and he should. 

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’d rather just see what happens next couple months than take that deal. It’s fine, but I’m certain Getz wants more and he should. 

Eh, I really think Getz is starting to overplay his hand with this. Dylan Cease has had 1 very good season with a bunch of inconsistent ones. This is not trading Chris Sale 2.0 - there is much more risk to this the longer the Sox hold onto him.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Eh, I really think Getz is starting to overplay his hand with this. Dylan Cease has had 1 very good season with a bunch of inconsistent ones. This is not trading Chris Sale 2.0 - there is much more risk to this the longer the Sox hold onto him.

I think that's what Boras is experiencing now with Jordan Montgomery (recent results not obscuring a relatively pedestrian career overall, 4+ ERA, etc.)...obviously Cease has the stuff/K's and durability, but he's suffering as well from high pitch counts and not providing extended innings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Sox can’t afford to not get a high impact offensive piece for Cease. Neither of us know exactly what had been offered so it’s tough to say if he’s overplaying his hand, but I’m glad he hasn’t settled. The offer I quoted is settling imo. 

I really haven't watched this thread or generally follow trade rumors, but would there be any interest by the Cubs, Toronto, Seattle or the Giants for Cease and Moncada with the Sox eating a good portion/most/all the (to the Sox a sunk cost) money and picking up a solid package Getz has not been able to get with Cease alone? I understand most of the board is down on Moncada, but he would be an decent upgrade for the teams listed, in addition to Cease.

I thought there was a possibility this offseason, which may come to fruition in July, that Jerry would have Getz get what prospects he can pairing dead contract money (Moncada, perhaps Benintendi depending on what Jerry are willing to eat). Hopefully they will continue down the reported path of maximizing prospect return vs. maximizing profit return.

13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There's no chance cashman trades Arias. I think you could pry LaLane from them though. 

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I really haven't watched this thread or generally follow trade rumors, but would there be any interest by the Cubs, Toronto, Seattle or the Giants for Cease and Moncada with the Sox eating a good portion/most/all the (to the Sox a sunk cost) money and picking up a solid package Getz has not been able to get with Cease alone? I understand most of the board is down on Moncada, but he would be an decent upgrade for the teams listed, in addition to Cease.

I thought there was a possibility this offseason, which may come to fruition in July, that Jerry would have Getz get what prospects he can pairing dead contract money (Moncada, perhaps Benintendi depending on what Jerry are willing to eat). Hopefully they will continue down the reported path of maximizing prospect return vs. maximizing profit return.

Moncada would have to be hitting 875-900 and healthy for at least 2 or 2 1/2 months to stimulate serious interest.

JR isn't going to sign off on eating $20-22 million all in one check (don't forget $5 million 2025 buyout) if you were trying to trade him along with Cease.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Cubs already right up on luxury tax threshold now.

plus do we think they even still have any old, marginal prospects to trade after we raided that cupboard this weekend?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Is Cody Heuer still there so we can trade back for him?

I was talking about him with friends yesterday he would be a good pickup by the Sox. The Cubs non tendered him after the season. Boston has interest in him, the only article I could find about his current status via search.

https://www.si.com/mlb/cubs/news/boston-red-sox-interest-codi-heuer-former-chicago-cubs-reliever-matt9

• Like 1

A few years ago I wrote JR a letter requesting to be interviewed for the GM job. I thought Hahn was going to get fired. He was fired years later. JR didn't respond to me. Matter of fact he hasn't responded to any of my other letter after that. Its really  a shame  I'm not the GM. Teams are not willing to give a ton of players for Cease. Looks like he's staying with the White Sox. If I was the GM I would try to sign Cease to a long term contract. He's only 28 years old. If this team is ever  going to sign a pitcher to a long term contract Cease should be the one.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic