Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

I like getting Lorenzen as well. Shoot I’d be fine throwing a bunch of money on a 1yr deal to one of the last big arms out there - tell them we will manage their pitch count - they kick butt for us - than we move em to a contender so they can play in October and get a massive deal next year if all goes well (and we buy some prospects :) ) 

• Like 3
  • Paper Bag 1

15 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

I hope the Sox are talking Walcott with Texas. Dude will be a top 20 prospect this time next year. 

They need to add upside to the system. This guy has a lot of it. 

58 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Carter looked amazing . Don't think TX would part with him.

See Benintendi when the Sox attempted to trade for him as part of Sale deal.

You don't trade 21 year old World Series heroes unless you can sell REALLY REALLY high on them.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Has more power than any of our corner outfielders 

JR Kiddy Table Ohtani. LMAO

ef61f920-d123-11ee-9a6b-f9ac903714af

"I mean, this kid we signed for $16M over two years can do everything. Can hit with power, a good fielder. And unlike Ohtani, he can pitch this season."

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yankees fans are delusional on what Cease would cost.  One dude on Pinstripe Alley said he wouldn’t give up any of their top 10 prospects, but would consider anyone else in the farm.  May need to go recruit some friendly New Yorkers to get some real discussion going here.

One of my good friends is a Yankees fan. Says he doesn't want Cease. He's only a #4 starter. He would rather Will Warren take Cole's spot. Said all he would offer the Sox is Rizzo. 😆😆

Also said he would rather face Cease than have him on his team. He is totally delusional.

• Like 1

Snelling/Lesko/Thorpe plus Head plus Marsee...

Although they undoubtedly need Marsee for outfield insurance as Azocar and Profar aren't enough to rely upon at the moment.

Going to have to find a different third piece of be satisfied with two.

Maybe DeVrieze comes into this...anything is possible.

https://www.justbaseball.com/mlb/dylan-cease-trade-buzz-is-picking-up-ahead-of-opening-day/

All depends on the Sox evaluation of those two arms.

Duran looks like a second piece but he's really the third piece here as he's totally expendable with Carter and Langford.

"The Rangers would be dealing two of their best three pitching prospects.

Drafted in the fourth round out of prep school back in 2022, Porter is considered by some to be the top arm in the Rangers system after he pitched to a 2.47 ERA in 21 starts and 69 1/3 innings pitched in Low-A last year.

Meanwhile, Leiter has seen his stock drop some since going No. 2 overall back in the 2021 MLB Draft, but he is still an extremely high upside arm at just 23 years old."

Edited by caulfield12

All depends on what Sox think of those two pitchers yet again...Porter has durability/frame concerns, as well as 5+ walks to go with 12+ k averages per 9.  SOME external scouts perceive him as better suited for closing, but that few seems to be in the minority right now.

MLB Pipeline scouting report

Brock

Porter

RHP, 20 years old

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 65 | Control: 40 | Overall: 55 

Porter had a decorated high school career at St. Mary's Prep (Orchard Lake, Mich.), winning three state championships in three seasons, Gatorade state player of the year honors in 2021 and 2022 and Gatorade's national award in his senior season. Though he was MLB Pipeline's top-rated pitching prospect in the 2022 Draft, the Rangers managed to float him to the 109th pick, where they used the savings from taking Kumar Rocker at No. 3 to pay Porter a fourth-round-record $3.7 million. He logged a 2.47 ERA with a .160 opponent average and 95 strikeouts in 69 1/3 Single-A innings during his 2023 pro debut, though he also walked 42.

Porter's fastball and changeup ranked among the best in the 2022 prep class and lived up to their billing in his introduction to pro ball. He can operate at 94-97 mph deep into games and touch 100 with his four-seamer, which features plenty of run and carry. His low-80s changeup has excellent velocity separation from his heater and confounds hitters with its tumble and fade.

After showing inconsistent feel for spinning the ball in high school, Porter has scrapped an upper-70s curveball to focus on a mid-80s slider that's becoming a solid offering. The biggest question now is whether he'll control and command his pitches well enough to pitch in the front half of a rotation. He's strong and durable but struggled last year to maintain his high-tempo delivery, and several scouts outside the organization project him as more of a late-inning reliever.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

The Burnes package was better than the rumored Texas package. 

I don’t know if this is true but Duran is a high K rate utility guy that doesn’t walk and Leiter walks far too many guys.  The Rangers would love to dump these two guys on us for Cease.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Yeah I was going to say… this is a much much lowered ask

20 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Better than two pitchers who were considered the top 1-2 collegiate and prep pitchers in the country just two years ago?

Nonsense.

DJ Hall would be ranked behind both those pitchers by nearly any scout in the industry.

Talent-wise, they're both in Mayo territory.  And he's a two trick pony...bat and arm, but not a great 3B or certainly RFer.  Could just as easily end up at first with Henderson at third, Holliday SS and Westburg 2B.

(OFC the Baltimore Board Trio would argue Bradfield over Langford and Carter.)

Edited by caulfield12

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah I was going to say… this is a much much lowered ask

How so? From a value perspective, Duran and Ortiz are comparable. Porter and Hall are comparable. It all depends on how you value Leiter. I’d say he’s at least equal in value to the #64 draft pick, probably even better.

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

How so? From a value perspective, Duran and Ortiz are comparable. Porter and Hall are comparable. It all depends on how you value Leiter. I’d say he’s at least equal in value to the #64 draft pick, probably even better.

Agreed, but outside of Porter, I still want nothing to do with this package.  Duran is exactly the type of free swinging player that Getz should be trying to get away from and does anyone think the Sox can fix Leiter and his 5.32 BB/9?

It might be a slightly better package than the Burnes return in terms of value, but I still nothing to do with it in return for Cease.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Agreed, but outside of Porter, I still want nothing to do with this package.  Duran is exactly the type of free swinging player that Getz should be trying to get away from and does anyone think the Sox can fix Leiter and his 5.32 BB/9?

It might be a slightly better package than the Burnes return in terms of value, but I still nothing to do with it in return for Cease.

I didn’t say anything about whether it was a deal I want (it’s not), I’m just replying to those saying it’s a lesser package than the Burnes package (it’s not).

45 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

This is how I look at it.  Ortiz >>> Duran.  Leiter = Hall. Plus Porter (backend top 100) that I like.  

It's a really comparable offer. And I hate that offer for Cease

EDITED: I forgot they also gave up a comp pick.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

The Orioles gave up Joey Ortiz, DL Hall, and the comp pick #34 for Corbin Burnes.  Also keep in mind that any past trades will not be relevant since each circumstance is different.  NYY will have to pay around $17 million for Cease this year.  Texas will pay around $9 million.  SD is not known yet since their roster is still a mess.

Question: Which serious contender(s) have no tax consideration beside the Orioles and the Diamondbacks?

I gotta say, I would be pretty disappointed with a Duran, Porter, Leiter package.

Think I would have to crawl back to Balta and baseball_gal_aly and apologize to them if that's what happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic