Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No top 25 guys?  I’m shocked!

Quantity over quality deal?  I’m shocked!

Received a ML player in the deal?  I’m shocked!

Didn’t get 2 top 100 guys(well FG has 2 of them, no one else I believe)?  I’m shocked!  

This deal is absolutely not close to anything any of you wanted or said you would get. 

You all jumped on me when I said you weren’t getting Mayo or Basallo. “how do you know”.  You jumped on me when I said you weren’t getting that level of prospect.

Reports were the Os offered the WS the Burnes deal plus another player. Who knows who that player was. I felt Beavers was possible but it was a guess. I can you guys preferring this deal because of youth and some upside. No issues with that but this deal isn’t really better. It’s just different.

Either way, i am glad you guys got to trade him and didn’t get stuck with an injury or something like that.   Zavala is the key to the deal imo. Thorpe should be a solid but likely unspectacular starter but Zavala has real upside.  Os have 4-5 similar offensive lottery tickets.  I do wish the Os had stepped up and challenged this offer but Thorpe is higher profile, at least for now, than McDermott and Povich and they may have needed that guy in the deal.

@Chicago White Sox I’m sure you aren’t happy but appreciate the conversation over on our board. 

Enjoy the gigantic dump that is Baltimore! It's probably even dumpier without Omar and Daniels. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you are overall correct on everything you said here. 

I agree that it’s fair….but that was always the point. The expectation many on here was “unfair” and that is what we kept trying to tell you.  This came reflected what Cease has been for most of his career, outside of 2022 and that is what we always said the value was going to be.

But you have to admit, many of your fellow posters would have considered Kjerstad + Norby + Beavers an overpay for Cease

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

I will go to my grave believing that a different, competent org takes a core of TA, Abreu, Robert, Moncada, Kopech, Giolito, ReyLo, Dunning, Eloy, Cease and Rodon (I know he was mostly rehabbing, but boy did he have a great single year) and actually does something with it.

Properly develops and augments the roster with quality FA talent and doesn’t pound a dinosaur sized wedge into this roster right as they looked poised to be good. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

I love this trade. Thorpe is good, they don’t trade for Iriarte if they view him as a reliever so they like something there and that’s an electric arm. Zavala, I think that dude will get into the top 100 here in the future. 

Slam dunk to me for 2 years of Cease coming off a down year compared to 2022. This is far better than the crap floated around earlier and what Burnes went for. Easy. 

I don’t trust the Sox when it comes to evaluating if a pitcher can be a starter 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He is a superstar controlled for 4 more seasons. We’re at least 2 years away from being able to get enough in return for moving Robert to make a lick of sense. 

Considering the return for an ace quality starter with 2 years left, don’t even entertain trading Robert for the next 2 years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He is a superstar controlled for 4 more seasons. We’re at least 2 years away from being able to get enough in return for moving Robert to make a lick of sense. 

2 1/2 to go is where SD moved on Soto...that's certainly a possibility.

Next offseason doesn't feel realistic if he's a near MVP caliber player at that point.

Hard to put up those type of numbers with current projected Sox lineups as well.

All right, harder one for I think everyone - 

When the Baltimore deal went down, I said that the return wasn't so big that you'd say "This destroys the White Sox if they turned it down and then Cease got hurt." I would stand by that, no reason to rush to that deal.

If the White Sox turned this down and Cease got hurt, it feels like this is a minor bit of damage but not a lot. It feels to me like this isn't such a heavy return that you'd think it would dramatically change the White Sox's rebuild schedule if they held onto Cease and he got hurt. Some additional depth, but question marks on everyone. That, to me, seems like a reasonable standard for doing a deal now - it would have to return so much that it's not worth waiting to the deadline.

Anyone disagree? Was this a deal we couldn't afford to turn down? If so, care to explain? Happy to listen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Enjoy the gigantic dump that is Baltimore! It's probably even dumpier without Omar and Daniels. 

I mean, it does suck but I don’t really think anyone who lives in the Chicago area, run by some of the dumbest people on the planet, really should be talking about other cities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Huh? Odd question. I think having 10-12 top prospects for this next rebuild is a must. Last rebuild was loaded at the top but had very little depth and we saw how that played out. This group has a chance to be much deeper even if it’s not as “strong” at the top.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I don’t trust the Sox when it comes to evaluating if a pitcher can be a starter 

Neither do I but at least you know he’s getting every opportunity to be a starter. 

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Considering the return for an ace quality starter with 2 years left, don’t even entertain trading Robert for the next 2 years. 

Yeah, I was just going to say that I wouldn't even entertain trading Robert until July 2026 because the level of prospect hugging going on by MLB teams right now is insane. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

But you have to admit, many of your fellow posters would have considered Kjerstad + Norby + Beavers an overpay for Cease

Yea some would have for sure. I’m amazed how many baseball fans really don’t think that highly of Cease. I saw a lot of talk on twitter from all fan bases. I had to defend him a lot to other Os fans. Some really think he’s a back end starter.  It’s really head scratching  to me, especially in this day and age of stat analysis and all the info at our disposal.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

When the Baltimore deal went down, I said that the return wasn't so big that you'd say "This destroys the White Sox if they turned it down and then Cease got hurt." I would stand by that, no reason to rush to that deal.

If the White Sox turned this down and Cease got hurt, it feels like this is a minor bit of damage but not a lot. It feels to me like this isn't such a heavy return that you'd think it would dramatically change the White Sox's rebuild schedule if they held onto Cease and he got hurt. Some additional depth, but question marks on everyone. That, to me, seems like a reasonable standard for doing a deal now - it would have to return so much that it's not worth waiting to the deadline.

Anyone disagree? Was this a deal we couldn't afford to turn down? If so, care to explain? Happy to listen.

It might sound like me moving the goalposts, but looking at the return I’m convinced Getz was told to take the best pitching package he could get. Two near top 100 pitchers might be the best pitching offer made. I’m holding to that caveat because I still think Cease should have brought back at least one top 50 positional prospect. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We will likely never know what NYY Rangers and Giants were offering.

Just that Baltimore was always going to be light unless the Padres trade him for even more this mid season if they're stuck around .500 again.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, it does suck but I don’t really think anyone who lives in the Chicago area, run by some of the dumbest people on the planet, really should be talking about other cities. 

Please. Chicago is a world class city with problems. Baltimore is simply a city with problems. They aren't in the same stratosphere. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 2

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Law said he won’t end up in CF

If he's not a CF defensively then this is a much weaker deal because a dozen minor league HR but a decent A-ball OBP is a Benintendi-type corner outfielder, unless he grows into more power with age?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • TLR 1

9 minutes ago, T R U said:

I love this trade. Thorpe is good, they don’t trade for Iriarte if they view him as a reliever so they like something there and that’s an electric arm. Zavala, I think that dude will get into the top 100 here in the future. 

Slam dunk to me for 2 years of Cease coming off a down year compared to 2022. This is far better than the crap floated around earlier and what Burnes went for. Easy. 

Well, if Cease was throwing harder in ST more in line with his past, I would be less ok with this. As such, teams reasonably could hold back on the offers given the amount of risk they are accepting.  Not that he wasn’t still ramping it up. No idea.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You had to take it.  Too much potential and upside not to. 

It’s not a bad deal, it’s just not close to what most of you all said you wanted and would get.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Sure but what did they have after the top guys? Just seemed like a barren wasteland. I’m hoping that in addition to 10-12 top prospects getz is able to build additional depth beyond that. And, hopefully, he will also be more effective in free agency when it’s time to spend serious money.

• Heads22 unpinned this topic