Bummer to ATL

Nokona

50 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

30 teams can legitimately afford it. It's that they won't commit to spending it. 

I will continue to believe this until the owners open up their books to the players and prove otherwise. 

Collusion 14.0, or are we up to 17.0 or 18.0 at this point?

Need all the books open, not just the BS MLB “losses” with the RSN, Real Estate, Gambling Empires, Off The Books Stadium Revenue not included.

Nothing but myriad lies, obfuscations and shell games thrown up by these people and the media apologists they have on their payroll since 1876.

Just now, GreenSox said:

Hahn got one Cordell in a deadline trade when he had leverage.
At least Getz got 5 of them.

And none of Hahn's Cordells turned out to be any help at all.  Maybe Evan Marshall was helpful for a while.
Let's see if Getz can do better.  The bar is low.

Let’s face it, if these five earn a combined career 2.0 fWAR plus with the Sox (filtering out negative WAR players), it would rank as a Top 10 trade in the decade plus Hahn Era.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Hahn got one Cordell in a deadline trade when he had leverage.
At least Getz got 5 of them.

And none of Hahn's Cordells turned out to be any help at all.  Maybe Evan Marshall was helpful for a while.
Let's see if Getz can do better.  The bar is low.

I forgot one:  Swarzak was a pretty good scrap heap acquisition.  Hahn then traded him at the deadline for....Cordell!

Even if the White Sox miraculously had the #1 farm system, which simply isn’t going to happen compared to the Big 4 trades (including Frazier Robertson Kahnle)…you’re still going to need at least 1-2 external/already-established superstars or stud TOR pitchers to pair with them.

Ours internally (Rodon) turned out to be too unreliable to ultimately justify those megadeals.  Giolito was never going to get that money, and the odds for Cease are generously 5-10% of getting an extension.

When it comes down it, Grandal, Keuchel, Lynn, Hendriks and Benintendi were just not good enough, or had already peaked…got hurt or underperformed. Pollock, Encarnacion, the list goes on and on.  And then we inexplicably led the league in bullpen and bench/utility spending somehow.  Can throw a certain former Red Sox/Braves closer onto the list as well.  Even the Hendriks injury was 50% self/Sox induced, and some would argue or allege Garrett Crochet mismanagement as well.

If the Sox hadn’t dumped Anderson and likely Haseley…we might well be leading MLB in first rounders who passed through Chicago this decade with little to no impact on forming a winner if you also included Madrigal, Burger, Fulmer, Collins, Burdi.  Let’s not even get started on second round draft pick futility, with Sheets kind of the poster child there as the “biggest” success.

Lots and lots of names but very little in terms of true quality except Bassitt, Semien, Tatis, Narvaez and maybe Burger.

Heck, by the end of ST, we will probably have Dylan Covey (another first) back at the rate the current big league roster is being torn down and reformed.

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I forgot one:  Swarzak was a pretty good scrap heap acquisition.  Hahn then traded him at the deadline for....Cordell!

But not really a high upside/ceiling guy.  At least the results were decent.

Soria might even be a Top Ten acquisition and dump by Hahn…that’s how bad it was.  He was the anti-Escobar at least. Bryan Shaw, too, quite surprisingly.

Edited by caulfield12

23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But not really a high upside/ceiling guy.  At least the results were decent.

Soria might even be a Top Ten acquisition and dump by Hahn…that’s how bad it was.  He was the anti-Escobar at least. Bryan Shaw, too, quite surprisingly.

The Soria acquisition was one of those 40-man deals; but then he dumped him for....Medeiros!

Actually, each of Hahn's deadline deals this past August would fit easily into his top 10.  He did a good job clearing out some riffraff in exchange for some legitimate prospects.

Edited by GreenSox

12 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The Soria acquisition was one of those 40-man deals; but then he dumped him for....Medeiros!

Actually, each of Hahn's deadline deals this past August would fit easily into his top 10.  He did a good job clearing out some riffraff in exchange for some legitimate prospects.

Except for Burger/Eder…which should now be credited to KW.

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I understand depth may be a concern but how many other teams have 7 mlb top 100 prospects in their system? Which I assume the Sox would have after trading Cease and Robert.

Big difference trading Cease and Robert. Cease has 2 years of control and is coming off a down year. Robert won a Silver Slugger and finished top 3 for a Gold Glove with 4 years of control. Robert is so valuable, he’s close to untradeable.  That’s why they’re saying he’s not available.

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Big difference trading Cease and Robert. Cease has 2 years of control and is coming off a down year. Robert won a Silver Slugger and finished top 3 for a Gold Glove with 4 years of control. Robert is so valuable, he’s close to untradeable.  That’s why they’re saying he’s not available.

I’m not saying they will trade him, I’m posing a hypothetical if they did.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

Was Quintana a KW signing?

Yep…2011

Chicago White Sox' scouts Daraka Shaheed and Joe Siers, who watched Quintana pitch in the FSL the previous season, recommended that the team sign him. Quintana signed with the White Sox, receiving a major league contract, on November 10, 2011.

Hahn became GM after late 2012 collapse down the stretch…first major move was Keppinger.

Almost a decade-long tenure.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Yet another busted first rounder...from Hawaii if I remember correctly.

Having had some time to think through this trade, it’s more of a fun one than an actual good one.  Soroka & Lopez were both getting non-tendered and the former only has one year of control left.  Shuster has been bad since reaching AAA with a fastball and broader pitch mix currently unable to get hitters outs.  Shewmake is a middle infielder who is not elite defensively and hasn’t had a league average offensive season since A ball.

To me, this trade pretty much comes down to Shuster and whether Bannister / Katz can fix something with him to make him a viable #4/#5 starter.  I guess if Soroka were to return to form there might be some value to extract there, but it’s greatly capped given his lack of control.  Lopez is a solid backup infielder who can start while we wait for Colson, but not really a needle mover.  No idea what Shewmake offers this 40 man roster.  And I find it laughable for Getz to call this trade “foundational”.  This trade helps our depth in 2024, but most of these guys could be off the 40 man roster as next year.

• Like 1

• bmags featured, unfeatured and unpinned this topic