MLB 2024 Draft Lottery - Sox pick #5

South Side Hit Men

I thought this draft wasnt that great, so honestly id rather have a 5 pick that doesn't result in a huge miss than have a top 2 pick that busts. And it would be so white sox to win 85 games next year and end up getting a 13th pick next year regardless of tonights results 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

Just now, joejoesox said:

I think the Sox fan base's cynicism has reached a new level that hasn't been seen before in the last 30 yrs, i wouldnt be surprised if more front office firings happen in 2024, it's gonna be a s%*# show and I think the ballpark will more than reflect it. it'll be even worse than 2023

can you dig it

I do think we're going to challenge the long-term attendance low at this park of 1.34 million back in 1999 (The Kids can Play!). 

I think the front office is new enough that most of them have long leashes.

I wouldn't be surprised if a new coaching staff appeared at the end of this year, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if Grifol was kept. No reason to pay two coaches right, and he knows the important KC tricks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I thought this draft wasnt that great, so honestly id rather have a 5 pick that doesn't result in a huge miss than have a top 2 pick that busts. And it would be so white sox to win 85 games next year and end up getting a 13th pick next year regardless of tonights results 

This doesn't make much sense. Picking 2 at least allows them more $ to spend in the draft while if they somehow won 85 games it would mean TONS of things went right in 2024 and make it moot that they can't pick higher than 10th in '25. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

This doesn't make much sense. Picking 2 at least allows them more $ to spend in the draft while if they somehow won 85 games it would mean TONS of things went right in 2024 and make it moot that they can't pick higher than 10th in '25. 

Do the Sox ever make sense? That was my point. And this board is insufferable enough without listening to incessant bitching about the top 1or 2 pick they would have gotten wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

The only silver lining is that Getz now has zero excuses to make tank moves.

The org will still try to sell it as a transition year, but without the ability to be in the mix for Ethan Holliday, it's a lot harder sell.

They can try to sell it all they want, but I'm not buying it! 

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The bust rate with the baseball draft makes me not really care.

This. I think it was always bad baseball strategy to make any decisions based on whether it would improve your draft position, but any doubt about it is gone now with the lottery system in place. Make an honest effort at producing a competent ballclub and see what happens. Who knows, maybe you'll get the #1 pick anyway.

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The WAR chart says that 5 is basically the same as 10, but that 1-3 are valuable, by quite a bit more. We got the worst possible outcome really given the new rules.

For real. One or two picks higher in 2018 and we get Adley or Witt Jr.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Do the Sox ever make sense? That was my point. And this board is insufferable enough without listening to incessant bitching about the top 1or 2 pick they would have gotten wrong. 

Screwed by Covid years.  Screwed by union fights...self induced.  Screwed by competitive balance in a massive market even though they have a bottom 2 all-time largest contract (along with the A's or Pirates.)

Edited by caulfield12

• Quin changed the title to MLB 2024 Draft Lottery - Sox pick #5