Max Stassi Acquired

DirtySox

20 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

So we cover the league minimum and a potential $500k buyout.  I think Stassi worth a roll of the dice, but this basically confirms he has zero value across the league.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So we cover the league minimum and a potential $500k buyout.  I think Stassi worth a roll of the dice, but this basically confirms he has zero value across the league.

I am fine with it versus paying Maldonado or another washed vet $4-5M to be just as bad. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Getz is definitely going to end up as Jerry’s favorite GM. I can’t help but wonder just how low the budget is that Getz has to work with. Really feels like there is a significant slash in payroll looking at the low salaries brought in so far.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Getz is definitely going to end up as Jerry’s favorite GM. I can’t help but wonder just how low the budget is that Getz has to work with. Really feels like there is a significant slash in payroll looking at the low salaries brought in so far.

I know, if you compare the moves to the thread with the off-season plans and budgets used, the team is going to be way under those hypothetical budgets and the team a lot worse than anyone's plan.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I know, if you compare the moves to the thread with the off-season plans and budgets used, the team is going to be way under those hypothetical budgets and the team a lot worse than anyone's plan.

"Gio and Flaherty can probably be had for cheap on prove it deals, wanting to reunite with Katz."

Getz: "Mike Soroka and Erick Fedde are your #1 and #2."

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think the Sox are mirroring the Royals completely. They go into most seasons knowing they'll lose 90-105 games and then they do. Sox are looking like that now as well. Meaning absolutely no hope. Although I do think the Sox everyday players 'potentially' are better than KC's. Pitching staff is an abomination however. Sox have no chance to do anything with those 4 inning imploders and horrific relievers.

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

SS and C, which are defense-first positions, covered at minimum use of resources.
You can get offense from OF at much less cost,

They've played this right thus far, given the limited resources. 

It would be hard to mess this up considering all they really need to do is patch the MLB team with bodies. Curious to see who ends up being the RF because it ain't going to be Colas and it shouldn't be Sheets.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

So far, he's just plugging holes with low-cost AAAA and low-risk bets.  I don't see any problem with that, and frankly, I'm a little optimistic that some of these guys are going to prove to be good to great signings.  Were there better FA options at C than Stassi at league minimum?  Maldanodo for $4M-ish?  I think it was a shrewd move.  And now there's more money to try and sign a guy like Giolito.  Maybe even go after Teoscar Hernandez.

I like what Getz is doing so far.  Maybe he's constrained by budget, but I think we have to wait and see.       

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It would be hard to mess this up considering all they really need to do is patch the MLB team with bodies. Curious to see who ends up being the RF because it ain't going to be Colas and it shouldn't be Sheets.

I'm hoping for a good young RF after all of this.

44 minutes ago, PorkChopExpress said:

So far, he's just plugging holes with low-cost AAAA and low-risk bets.  I don't see any problem with that, and frankly, I'm a little optimistic that some of these guys are going to prove to be good to great signings.  Were there better FA options at C than Stassi at league minimum?  Maldanodo for $4M-ish?  I think it was a shrewd move.  And now there's more money to try and sign a guy like Giolito.  Maybe even go after Teoscar Hernandez.

I like what Getz is doing so far.  Maybe he's constrained by budget, but I think we have to wait and see.       

If nothing else, the *very* early indications seem that Getz will be a bit more savvy on the FA market and less likely to waste money on scrub vets in FA like Jon Jay, Emilo Bonfacio, Leury Garcia, Jeff Keppinger than the previous regime.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If nothing else, the *very* early indications seem that Get will be a bit more savvy on the FA market and less likely to waste money on scrub vets in FA like Jon Jay, Emilo Bonfacio, Leury Garcia, Jeff Keppinger than the previous regime.  

This is a great point. If they suck, DFA them, and you're on the hook for that season's salary. DFA Leury, and you're paying him for two or three. 

18 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I'm trying to figure out the point of this decision.  I guess it's roster filler so thy don't have to use Charlotte as the roster filler.

It screams White Sox.

I feel like signing Maldonado to a 1/$6M deal or trading for Salvy while taking on like 2/$30M would be more "White Sox" than acquiring a legitimately plus defensive catcher for the league min. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I feel like signing Maldonado to a 1/$6M deal or trading for Salvy while taking on like 2/$30M would be more "White Sox" than acquiring a legitimately plus defensive catcher for the league min. 

Yeah this is what I wanted but figured it would come in the form of Austin Hedges, who just signed for $4M yesterday. I like this better.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, greg775 said:

I think the Sox are mirroring the Royals completely. They go into most seasons knowing they'll lose 90-105 games and then they do. Sox are looking like that now as well. Meaning absolutely no hope. Although I do think the Sox everyday players 'potentially' are better than KC's. Pitching staff is an abomination however. Sox have no chance to do anything with those 4 inning imploders and horrific relievers.

At the rate they're going, the White Sox won't be truly competitive until 2027. Sign placeholders to get time to bring up prospects. Then wait for prospects to develop. And some of them won't. 2025 marks 20 years since the World Series. Time flies when you're losing.

On 12/11/2023 at 7:40 PM, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Getz has been creative so far. Ill give him that. If he could creatively remove Grifol we'd be set. 

If Getz builds a Go Fund Me to fund his one-two year buyout, I can see it happening. Problem is Jerry would only want to hire someone similar to replace him (first job, lowest pay among 30 managers), unless Tony wanted the job again. Wouldn’t matter as much as people who want Pedro gone believe.

Bottom line is Grifol will do what Getz tells him to do. He will still say stupid s%*# to the media, because that’s all he has to say. I don’t pay attention to him at all, believe most players take a similar tact.

On 12/12/2023 at 9:46 AM, Quin said:

"Gio and Flaherty can probably be had for cheap on prove it deals, wanting to reunite with Katz."

Getz: "Mike Soroka and Erick Fedde are your #1 and #2."

Both options better the Keuchel and Lynn. Ditto Dane Dunning and Avery Weems.