Tigers Signing Flaherty

CWSpalehoseCWS

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

NBB said payroll is being cut “substantially”

Those who predicted around $110-120 million before we entered the post-season were pretty much right on the money.

Moncada, Eloy, Benintendi, Cease are the only places realistically left to cut.

Edited by caulfield12

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

And will probably go down even more next year given the likely horrendous attendance for 2024

Not even sure how they will get sponsors to associate themselves with the product at this point...giveaway days and fireworks were always at least reliable.

Now it's more and more based on the given opponents.

The Village of Bedford Park and labor unions don't have unlimited marketing budgets.  Alex and Ursula Snelius Lottery Money without Farmer?  Pete Vukovich?

Nationwide is gone without Benetti...

Edited by caulfield12

50 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You don't think Katz has some inside info on him, with the way he pitched the last if years? 

Obviously you should always assume. The new GM is wrong. 

Alright Doc, tell me this. What historical evidence tells us we should assume the Sox are right? Why should we assume the best? 

35 minutes ago, fathom said:

And will probably go down even more next year given the likely horrendous attendance for 2024

Reinsdorf / Getz in 2025, when they're supposed to be in contention since any other GM would have taken too long:

"We have to cut payroll even more, because revenue was down and fans didn't show up."

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Not even sure how they will get sponsors to associate themselves with the product at this point...giveaway days and fireworks were always at least reliable.

The Village of Bedford Park and labor unions don't have unlimited marketing budgets.  Alex and Ursula Snelius Lottery Money without Farmer?  Pete Vukovich?

Finally some good news

4 hours ago, Quin said:

Never thought I'd continuously look at the Tigers with such a wistful gaze.

• In 2023, Jerry and Boyer handed Detroit their broadcaster.
  • In 2020, Jerry handed Detroit their superior managerial candidate.
  • Since the creation of the A. L. Central, Jerry and his inept organization handed the four small market teams 25 of 29 available division titles.

@BamaDocand I were the only two who predicted an $120M-$139,9M Payroll during the open poll period (before FA / offseason started in earnest). 

If he goes below the $103M he gets from MLB each year simply for existing,  I want maximum pain, embarrassment and ruin for Jerry Reinsdorf, the Sox, the Bulls, and anything else he is involved with. 

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Alright Doc, tell me this. What historical evidence tells us we should assume the Sox are right? Why should we assume the best? 

Since this is Getz first year in the job there is no historical evidence either way. Until we have a body of evidence of his work, I'm not going to assume that he is competent or not. I'll base my view on evidence not assumptions that may be biased. It's the researcher in me. 

I'm just pointing out that someone on his staff probably has some inside knowledge of a pitcher he has know for a decade and it may have influenced the decision. 

So far he has said one of his goals was to improve team defense. He has definitely done that. We'll see where he goes from here. 

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

No kidding.  They had a chance to get Cease when they were the leading horse and the Yankees and Red Sox were asleep.  Not holding my breathe they will go all in for Cease this time around.   The missed their chance. 

Flaherty was acquired with $1.8M left on his deal, and I'm sure the Angelos family was taking rolls of Tums stressing over the finances to cover that enormous outlay. They only had $320M in revenue to cover their $61M payroll after that move.

No way are they going to stomach adding $20M + over the next two seasons to cover Cease's final two arbitration awards. The Sox would have to send them $10M-$15M, $4M in International Slot Money (plus the actual money) and Cease for perhaps a redundant prospect or two per Angelos' way of doing business. Why pay players seven or eight figures when the ML minimum is $800,000.

The Mets are only covering $8M of McCann's $12.2M salary in 2024, compared to $11M last season. The Orioles are now at $73M after the Kimbrel signing, or $13M more than their highest payroll in the 2020s. Their current focus in maximizing theft of taxpayer resources in the Maryland state assembly, not acquiring high cost players like Dylan Cease.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Flaherty was acquired with $1.8M left on his deal, and I'm sure the Angelos family was taking rolls of Tums stressing over the finances to cover that enormous outlay. They only had $320M in revenue to cover their $61M payroll after that move.

No way are they going to stomach adding $20M + over the next two seasons to cover Cease's final two arbitration awards. The Sox would have to send them $10M-$15M, $4M in International Slot Money (plus the actual money) and Cease for perhaps a redundant prospect or two per Angelos' way of doing business. Why pay players seven or eight figures when the ML minimum is $800,000.

The Mets are only covering $8M of McCann's $12.2M salary in 2024, compared to $11M last season. The Orioles are now at $73M after the Kimbrel signing, or $13M more than their highest payroll in the 2020s. Their current focus in maximizing theft of taxpayer resources in the Maryland state assembly, not acquiring high cost players like Dylan Cease.

You're silly.

• TLR 1

2 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

No kidding.  They had a chance to get Cease when they were the leading horse and the Yankees and Red Sox were asleep.  Not holding my breathe they will go all in for Cease this time around.   The missed their chance. 

Rumor is Hahn was asking for Holiday up until the very end, so Hahn wasn’t overly serious until it was too late.

15 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Shades of 1971 WTAQ radio. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They would happily pay Cease $20M or so…whether they’ll give up the prospects is the question.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They would happily pay Cease $20M or so…whether they’ll give up the prospects is the question.

O's have to give to get.  They aren't going to have roster space for all these dudes, and at some point they need to supplement their roster, especially on the pitching side.  I am not taking anything but an A+ offer from anyone else until the O's meet my price. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

O's have to give to get.  They aren't going to have roster space for all these dudes, and at some point they need to supplement their roster, especially on the pitching side.  I am not taking anything but an A+ offer from anyone else until the O's meet my price. 

100%. Screw the Orioles unless we are getting two of Mayo/Cowser/Kerjstad/Basallo plus more

I see too many posts by fans suggesting what I consider to be really light return packages for Cease

Although it makes sense to deal him, the Sox can refuse to trade him unless they get exactly what they want in return. 

I rightfully want a king's ransom. Why should we be considering less than the Luis Castillo trade when Cease has two full seasons of control?