The OF Thread

Chicago White Sox

13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Figured this deserved its own thread.  Right now, the White Sox have four guys listed as “Outfielders” on their 40 man roster.  Two of those four are the starting CF & LF.  The other two are Oscar Colas and Gavin Sheets.  Chris Getz has already come out and said that Oscar needs more time in AAA.  That theoretically leaves Gavin Sheets as the de facto RF, which would completely go against Getz’s focus on defense we’ve seen this off-season.

I would be absolutely shocked if Sheets was the primary RF to open the season.  Given the lack of other options, it seems all but a certainty we will be going outside the org to solve RF.  And beyond that, we probably need to add a legit 4th OF to avoid having to use some combo of Sheets and/or Romy in that capacity.  AAA is mostly barren of usable OF talent, so I wouldn’t expect much immediate help from the minors either.

Curious to hear how people would go about solving the OF situation both short and long-term.  Obviously it’s possible for a Cease trade to help address RF, but with the rumored focus on pitching that may not be in the cards.  And free agency isn’t exactly brimming with tons of quality options.

I’ll share my own thoughts, but wanted to get some discussion going.

Short Term: Sign Jorge Soler. He’s not the long term fix but they can flip him at the deadline.

Long Term: Prioritize drafting outfielders early in the draft, the the only way this is going to stop being an issue year in and year out.

3 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Short Term: Sign Jorge Soler. He’s not the long term fix but they can flip him at the deadline.

Long Term: Prioritize drafting outfielders early in the draft, the the only way this is going to stop being an issue year in and year out.

Like Gonzalez Basabe Walker Rutherford Call Adolfo etc.

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Like Gonzalez Basabe Walker Rutherford Call Adolfo etc.

How many of those guys were drafted after 2018? Also the Sox didn’t sign or draft Rutherford and Basabe. So yeah, they need to prioritize drafting outfielders in the early rounds of the draft.

23 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

How many of those guys were drafted after 2018? Also the Sox didn’t sign or draft Rutherford and Basabe. So yeah, they need to prioritize drafting outfielders in the early rounds of the draft.

They need to start drafting the best player available and stop trying to outsmart the system and they will have a much better chance of doing that now that Shirley has control of the amateur scouting department.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They need to start drafting the best player available and stop trying to outsmart the system and they will have a much better chance of doing that now that Shirley has control of the amateur scouting department.  

I agree that they should always take the BPA but that doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t prioritize certain positions 

13 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don’t believe that one guy is the end-all/be-all decision-maker on every draft pick.  Multiple Sox employees agreed to take Jacob Gonzalez, and I’m sure some of those same scouting department people are still employed by the Sox today.  Jerry never truly cleans house, and even he himself likes to meddle on the draft and tell his GM who to choose.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

8 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

I agree that they should always take the BPA but that doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t prioritize certain positions 

If they prioritize anything it has to be up the middle players.  SS, SP, C, CF.  Shirley obviously knows this and now that the biggest impediment in the draft room has finally been removed we will see White Sox drafts looking very different going forward.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1
  • Paper Bag 1

On 12/29/2023 at 1:02 PM, The Mighty Mite said:

This is a joke that we are still without a MLB rightfielder, I thought Kevin Kiermaier would have been a good fit but he re-upped with the Jays.

The Sox need a starting rightfielder.  Kiermaier is 33 and he no longer even produces 10+ HR per year. Outstanding OF defensively but the Sox need an OF who can produce punch in the lineup. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I think the Red Sox will offer Rafaela as their prime prospect and not Anthony.  

I think Getz would be fine with Rafaela and Teel as the main pieces. Obviously Anthony would be amazing but I agree with you that I don't see them moving him. 

Rafaela is a R/R undersized player who doesn’t walk. I bet the Red Sox want to trade him for Dylan Cease. After putting up historically low walk rates in a 101 loss season, I hope to God Getz is prioritizing pitch recognition/swing decision skills in all prospects acquired this offseason.  Rafaela is the OF equivalent of Popeye Rodriguez.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Rafaela is a R/R undersized player who doesn’t walk. I bet the Red Sox want to trade him for Dylan Cease. After putting up historically low walk rates in a 101 loss season, I hope to God Getz is prioritizing pitch recognition/swing decision skills in all prospects acquired this offseason.  Rafaela is the OF equivalent of Popeye Rodriguez.

Paul DeJong, Nicky Lopez, Martin Maldonado?

Yeah, we don’t care about that.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

But isn't his defense like super elite all over the field?

That's why I think Getz may be fine with him.

Dude can be a SS and if Robert is later moved, then CF.

I dont see Getz saying no to Teel and Rafael esp if you throw in a pitcher or two. I know their pitching prospects are nothing special tho. Obviously Getz would love Teel too....and he can turn around and flip Quero for pitching at that point. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think Getz would be fine with Rafaela and Teel as the main pieces. Obviously Anthony would be amazing but I agree with you that I don't see them moving him. 

I don’t claim to be an expert on the BoSox prospects, but Rafaela would be a very underwhelming main piece for Cease based on scouting reports I’ve read. Diminutive glove first RHH. The glove does sound awfully nice, and I would not be opposed to acquiring him as the 2nd piece, but I am not trading Cease to BoSox without them dipping into their top two prospects. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If they prioritize anything it has to be up the middle players.  SS, SP, C, CF.  Shirley obviously knows this and now that the biggest impediment in the draft room has finally been removed we will see White Sox drafts looking very different going forward.   

I've heard some version of this for 35 years.