Sale traded to Braves for Grissom

Vote4Pedro

Sale is due $27.5M for 2024, $10M of which is payable in 2039 and $17.5M in 2024, so Atlanta is basically paying the MLB minimum this season and deferring $10M until 2039.

Also, there is a $20M 2025 Club option ($15M due in 2025, $5M in 2040) which becomes guaranteed if Sale finishes Top 10 in Cy Young voting and does not end the season on the IL.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Very happy Cease isn’t going to the Braves.  Getting back a no power, weak glove 2B that will likely end up in LF would’ve been disappointing.

Not exactly replacing Verdugo…will just have to wait and see.

Red Sox not exactly competing, but not exactly throwing in the towel.  Tough spot to be in that division.

58 minutes ago, fathom said:

btw, I hate this gamble by the Braves.  They’ve run out of pitching last few years due to injuries. They should have gone after someone more reliable.

Now that 162 games is basically a meaningless exhibition season with the ever expanding playoffs, I wonder if at some point rules become more flexible in terms of teams like the Braves or Dodgers simply delaying the start of the season for pitchers like Sale, Ohtani, Scherzer, Kershaw, etc. without a formally declared injury.

Let veteran pitchers ramp up in the Spring /  Summer so they come online between the ASB and trade deadline, throw 80-100 innings and be fresh in October and November. Reduces the injury risk.

Spring training: Father’s Day - Trade deadline.

Soft launch 3-5 inning starts: August is the new April.

Labor Day: Unleash the hounds, 90-100 pitch starts.

October - Veterans Day: Fresh for playoffs & World Series.

22 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Is there any way to quantify $17 million in cash to the top 100 rating of a of prospect?  Say the Braves sent all prospects and no cash for Sale and his $27 million dollar contract.  Just curious to see what one year of $27 million dollar Sale would be worth?

Grissom + ???

Based on an old Fangraphs assessment, a low end 50 FV prospect is probably worth about $20M.

Yea, this isn't good.

The Braves may not have the most desirable prospects.
But their FO has the sophistication to understand Cease's value, and the guts to make a move.  And currently, the Sox are dealing with orgs that I fear lack both, esp. the guts.

Edited by GreenSox

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Yea, this isn't good.

But their FO has the sophistication to understand Cease's value, and the guts to make a move.  And currently, the Sox are dealing with orgs that I fear lack both, esp. the guts.

While I can think of an AL East club that lacks guts, the NYY doesn't lack guts esp with heat on Cashman , neither does BOS when their fans are up in arms and fed up, neither does LAD (I don't think they're done), Preller in SD has never lacked guts, SFG would love to make a big splash for their fans.

I think there's a sufficient critical mass of clubs that are willing to deal. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Yea, this isn't good.

What is this "guts" people are talking about?  First of all, this off season is only 1/2 over.  Second, every team should be making moves that are good for each team.  Not a single team should make a trade that does not make sense to that team, no matter how other fans or media want it. 

56 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Trading top prospects at all in this day and age, much less trading them for a pitcher coming off of a bad year.

From reading some of the posts here, having "guts" means the Orioles giving up 4 quality prospects for Dylan Cease who is coming off a mediocre year. 

The Orioles will have to trade some players at some point, but for what?  Do they want to count on Bradish, Hall, and Rodriguez continue to develop?  How will John Means contribute in 2024?  They do need pitching but may not need to do so until the TDL.  

1 hour ago, wegner said:

"Hey Chris, can we get in on that kinda action?"

jerry.jpg

Fans should blow this picture up and hoist it up whenever something bad happens at the games. Or have some smart ass signs accompanying this before security and ushers censor them.

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, fathom said:

Yeah Reds are done with pitching.  Really think it’s a Yankees/Boston battle

If Orioles decide to pass, Yankees are definitely in but I don't think Red Sox are.  Red Sox are not trading  Mayer and I think Anthony may also be off-limits. Rafaela may not be good enough to be Red Sox lead trade target and best SP target may be a top 10 in their system. My guess is Yankees may have some more attractive targets.  

21 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Now that 162 games is basically a meaningless exhibition season with the ever expanding playoffs, I wonder if at some point rules become more flexible in terms of teams like the Braves or Dodgers simply delaying the start of the season for pitchers like Sale, Ohtani, Scherzer, Kershaw, etc. without a formally declared injury.

Let veteran pitchers ramp up in the Spring /  Summer so they come online between the ASB and trade deadline, throw 80-100 innings and be fresh in October and November. Reduces the injury risk.

Spring training: Father’s Day - Trade deadline.

Soft launch 3-5 inning starts: August is the new April.

Labor Day: Unleash the hounds, 90-100 pitch starts.

October - Veterans Day: Fresh for playoffs & World Series.

Meaningless lol

I guess I missed those playoff games this year. So care to guess who we will be playing in the first round this coming year? 

Are you missing the 154 game schedule or the 112 game schedule? 

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Meaningless lol

I guess I missed those playoff games this year. So care to guess who we will be playing in the first round this coming year? 

Are you missing the 154 game schedule or the 112 game schedule? 

Doth protest too much.

End of Season

• Los Angeles Dodgers 100-62
  • Arizona Diamondbacks 84-78 (16 GB)