White Sox sign Brett Phillips

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

Yeah, it's a lost season already anyways.

Just sign guys who can occupy positions until prospects are ready and not rushed.

Otherwise, find guys who can be flipped for value later.

That's really about it. Phillips falls into the "guys who can occupy positions" category.

He can be sent to the Yankees midseason as a defensive upgrade for their OF. 

Just now, JoeC said:

Yeah, it's a lost season already anyways.

Just sign guys who can occupy positions until prospects are ready and not rushed.

Otherwise, find guys who can be flipped for value later.

That's really about it. Phillips falls into the "guys who can occupy positions" category.

Yeah, it would be nice if some of these dudes were flippable, but even that might be too much to expect.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

The Sox won't score a lot of runs, but they won't give up a bunch of unearned runs.

Thankfully, with pitchers such as Chris Flexen and Tim Hill, we just have to worry about giving up lots of earned runs.

• Haha 6

Just now, Quin said:

Thankfully, with pitchers such as Chris Flexen and Tim Hill, we just have to worry about giving up lots of earned runs.

At least the Sox will make teams earn those runs. Those many many many runs.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Yeah, it would be nice if some of these dudes were flippable, but even that might be too much to expect.

Yeah, I'm hoping guys like Hill (LH RP) can be flipped, along with guys like Flexen (maybe he can eat innings).

At least Getz seems to acknowledge the state of the team and isn't going for delusional signings of moderately-expensive-but-useful-but-not-useful-enough-to-make-any-sort-of-meaningful-difference-in-the-season-outcome types of guys that Hahn and KW seemed to be fond of.

• Like 2

Really puts into perspective how bare the cupboard is in the minors when we have to sign all these, to put it charitably, "reclamation projects" to fill voids in our roster because there's just nobody better internally.

Hopefully they grab a Right Fielder, too. Based on projected salaries on Sportrac looks like Grichuk, Winker, Duvall, and Grossman are the options at our level.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Regardless of what they do in RF, they desperately needed someone on the roster who could spell Luis Robert on occasion. We saw this last year, in the first half the White Sox played 92 games and Luis Robert started 87 of them and played in 89. Super lucky he didn't break in half. Probably not a big surprise that his production tailed off in the 2nd half and then eventually he did get hurt, although thankfully only minor.

Whatever they do in RF, this had to be done.

I totally agree with you here on spelling Luis Robert now and again. So for that reason, Phillips could be very useful.

But it's also time for some of these guys to put their big boy pants on. Playing 150 games shouldn't be a crazy idea. Last year these were the game totals for these Braves players:

• Ronald Acuna Jr. - 159 games
  • Ozzie Albies - 148 games
  • Matt Olson - 162 games
  • Austin Riley - 159 games
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Yeah, I'm hoping guys like Hill (LH RP) can be flipped, along with guys like Flexen (maybe he can eat innings).

At least Getz seems to acknowledge the state of the team and isn't going for delusional signings of moderately-expensive-but-useful-but-not-useful-enough-to-make-any-sort-of-meaningful-difference-in-the-season-outcome types of guys that Hahn and KW seemed to be fond of.

The absolute best case scenario is Hill and Flexen have career year first halves of the season are are flipped for some other teams AAAA garbage they don't want to to clear 40 man space, or a middling prospect that needs protecting the next winter they won't have room for.  These guys aren't going to return any value even in the remote chance they are great. 

The only signing the Sox have made that have any legitimate flipping upside is Fedde, and even that upside requires alot to go right. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pcq said:

Wow building a winner with the Royals 4A guys . Most of these guys could have come to camp on invites. Talk about rearranging the deck chairs.

We've gone from the Titanic to the Doña Paz.

My mom took me to TJ Maxx before I started high school - Catholic school so I needed dress shirts, pants and ties. I’d never been there, but it felt like a step up to me. We did not shop at top end stores when I was a kid, and the majority of my clothes were hand me downs. I picked up a bunch of stuff and felt good about it. Made the mistake of not trying everything on.

First day of school, I’m buttoning up my shirt, and the buttons don’t line up. Shirt is crooked. I go to my second choice - same thing.

This is how being a Sox fan feels. Perpetually disappointed by bargain basement deals.

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, almagest said:

Really puts into perspective how bare the cupboard is in the minors when we have to sign all these, to put it charitably, "reclamation projects" to fill voids in our roster because there's just nobody better internally.

Hopefully they grab a Right Fielder, too. Based on projected salaries on Sportrac looks like Grichuk, Winker, Duvall, and Grossman are the options at our level.

Winker is a horrific OF.  Doubt he's an option.  I think Grichuk, Duvall and Gallo should all be explored. 

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The absolute best case scenario is Hill and Flexen have career year first halves of the season are are flipped for some other teams AAAA garbage they don't want to to clear 40 man space, or a middling prospect that needs protecting the next winter they won't have room for.  These guys aren't going to return any value even in the remote chance they are great. 

The only signing the Sox have made that have any legitimate flipping upside is Fedde, and even that upside requires alot to go right. 

I had completely missed the Sox signed Chad Kuhl to an minors deal a few days back.  Didn't see that reported anywhere or here. Was brutal last year for the Nats, but has appeared in the bigs 7 of the last 8 seasons (other was down with TJS) and pitched 137 innings for Colorado in 2022. 

Edited by ChiSox59

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

We've gone from the Titanic to the Doña Paz.

Introducing the new intro song for your 2024 Chicago White Sox.....Sox Fans ON YOUR FEET!!!

Phillips, 29, batted .175/.268/.333 with a whopping 36 strikeouts in 71 plate appearances for the Angels in 2023. He spent most of 2023 at Triple-A Salt Lake.

Phillips has a connection to Sox manager Pedro Grifol, having played for the Royals in 2018 and ‘19 while Grifol was a coach in Kansas City.

More garbage Royals flotsam and jetsam 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

same thoughts here. since it's a minor league deal I can stomach it...but it also is ridiculous that they don't have any no bat, toolsy guys in their own system already for league minimum. 

They have said player in Yoelqui Cespedes, but he lacks leadership and Royals experience unfortunately

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

This move still doesn't get Sheets out of the OF, but there is still time. Just sign like Robbie Grossman or someone if you don't get an immediate MLB OF in a Cease deal.

We always needed two OFs to get Sheets out of the outfield.  This is one of those guys and this helps prevent Romy from automatically making the roster.  As a minor league deal, this move is fine to fill the 4th OF role.  We still need to find a RF and someone worth giving those innings.  If they plan to platoon Phillips out there for “defense” then this is a really bad move.

36 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Winker is a horrific OF.  Doubt he's an option.  I think Grichuk, Duvall and Gallo should all be explored. 

Yeah, I was just going off who was listed as a RF. Gallo just can’t hit and I don’t think there’s any upside left. He is what he is. Grichuk and Duvall at least hit a little. 

26 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Phillips, 29, batted .175/.268/.333 with a whopping 36 strikeouts in 71 plate appearances for the Angels in 2023. He spent most of 2023 at Triple-A Salt Lake.

Phillips has a connection to Sox manager Pedro Grifol, having played for the Royals in 2018 and ‘19 while Grifol was a coach in Kansas City.

More garbage Royals flotsam and jetsam 

I saw that, we are the Chicago Royals

It's a minor league deal so I shouldn't be bothered, but Machado's friends and family acquisitions, as bad as there were, had a lot more upside than the Pedro friends and family picks. Can Getz at least acquire 1 guy we can be semi-excited about? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's a minor league deal so I shouldn't be bothered, but Machado's friends and family acquisitions, as bad as there were, had a lot more upside than the Pedro friends and family picks. Can Getz at least acquire 1 guy we can be semi-excited about? 

That's a great question. Every day with every one of these has been's the Sox are signing shows that JR was lying through his teeth about getting better and competing in 2024.

This team isn't going anywhere except straight down the toilet.