Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

14 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

🤣  You are delusional.  Just because the Sox acquired more players than the Cubs doesn’t mean they have had a better offseason than them.  Which player have the Sox acquired that wasn’t dumpster diving?  Apparently acquiring multiple negative WAR players means you are having a great offseason.  Name one player the Sox have acquired this offseason that had a productive season last year.

I hate them too, but the fact is that the Cubs have won a WS far more recently than the Sox and if you can’t admit they currently have a competitive team while the Sox are in the basement of the worst division in baseball, you are lying to yourself.

Dude, perhaps you should stick to posting on your Cubbie message board ,because best case scenario is they swap out the Japanese pitcher for Stroman, and overpay to keep Bellinger. They have literally have done Jack s%*#, and have been shredding players for years to pay debt on the team and Wrigleyville while raping fans over past several seasons.

The Sox gained by shedding complete horseshit like Lynn and Kelly at the deadline, and Grandal, Elvis and hopefully Sheets after year end. Whatever they play will be an improvement at SS. Not only addition by subtraction, but a few of their pickups will outperform expectations, and Moncada and others should play well for their next contracts.

Perhaps reply to actual post content next time. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Dude, perhaps you should stick to posting on your Cubbie message board ,because best case scenario is they swap out the Japanese pitcher for Stroman, and overpay to keep Bellinger. They have literally have done Jack s%*#, and have been shredding players for years to pay debt on the team and Wrigleyville while raping fans over past several seasons.

The Sox gained by shedding complete horseshit like Lynn and Kelly at the deadline, and Grandal, Elvis and hopefully Sheets after year end. Whatever they play will be an improvement at SS. Not only addition by subtraction, but a few of their pickups will outperform expectations, and Moncada and others should play well for their next contracts.

Perhaps reply to actual post content next time. 

If they would have made the playoffs, wouldn't the perception now be at least 50-75% more positive?

I do honestly think if they overpay Bellinger, Hoskins or Matt Chapman...at least 2/3rd's or 75% of Sox talk will also be arguing the Cubs were DUMB to offer those deals and they were better off waiting out their Top 5 farm system and MAYBE trading someone like Morel to fill a roster spot or two more needed places.

It's seemingly a lot of the same arguments going on between Orioles' fans and their GM/ownership group about not dipping more seriously into FA...the result is the majority of fans are clutching on to their prospects like precious pearls.  Understandable enough after watching the Sox/Padres/Blue Jays fail in their dynasty kickstarting attempts.

The principal difference there is the various negative (depending on one's own beliefs about capitalism, predatory or the quintessential representation of the American dream) perceptions about the Ricketts' family, their political beliefs and the creeping gentrification of Wrigleyville through TIF, all to the benefit of their own coffers more than concern about Cubs' fans and building a genuine World Series-contender as quickly as possible.

Of course, most White Sox fans would rate Craig Counsell in and Pedro Grifol in as Sox manager as "winning the offseason completely" compared to all the moves that Getz has made until January 22nd, 2024.

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Pretty sure that Jerry doesn't have a lot of owner friends left either. He tried to block this commish and lost big time. He's voted against many of these ownership groups too.  There could well be a fair amount of spite votes, and I think it takes 75% yes to move.

Eh owners don’t seem to f*** with others nest egg once they are in the crew. 

12 hours ago, tray said:

I am concerned that speculation about the possibility of a new stadium is going to hurt the franchise if/when it proves to be just that, or appears to be something intended primarily for leverage with ISFA. The Sox should get on with this or make another plan in order to clarify a way forward as soon as possible. Acquire the parcel, seek pubic/private financing, obtain a few conceptual plans, address site issues. JR is the right person to make this happen, if he wants it to.

Why would Related get involved in a Sox' leverage play? They want to get this done.  

• Like 1

Talked to a friend of mine who said JR is working on financing proposals. If it happens it appears that the current ownership group will have a significant stake in the financing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Talked to a friend of mine who said JR is working on financing proposals. If it happens it appears that the current ownership group will have a significant stake in the financing.

That would be a significant change from the first time a new stadium was built.

This is all great news. South Loop residential demos I'd guess skew older (I have no data there), and so I wonder how things shift if something like this gets introduced in the area.

Reggies ...has to be thrilled right? Feels like they would become the de facto sox bar.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

He knows he won't be paying these bills anyway, not a bad call.  Decent chance he never even sees the first game there.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is all great news. South Loop residential demos I'd guess skew older (I have no data there), and so I wonder how things shift if something like this gets introduced in the area.

Reggies ...has to be thrilled right? Feels like they would become the de facto sox bar.

Oh man, haven't thought about there in years!   Great pizza by the slice.   South Loop had kind of moved younger in recent years with some of the newer buildings being bought by people who didn't want to commute.  I started working in the financial district in 1998, and it used to just empty there after 5pm.  Now there is actually people and life going on, especially south of Congress.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

But not from why happened with the united center. My friend worked on that financing. 

41 minutes ago, bmags said:

Depends. This is probably true for the older developments between Clark & State close to where the ballpark would be. Anecdotally, I know plenty of younger late 20s/early to mid 30s couples who have bought condos in the South Loop. 

Flo & Santos would be right around the corner. I'd image a few more spots would pop up close by too. Maybe the old Wabash Tap even reopens. 

22 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Depends. This is probably true for the older developments between Clark & State close to where the ballpark would be. Anecdotally, I know plenty of younger late 20s/early to mid 30s couples who have bought condos in the South Loop. 

Flo & Santos would be right around the corner. I'd image a few more spots would pop up close by too. Maybe the old Wabash Tap even reopens. 

They're not building a ballpark to not also build an entertainment district on the property. That's why Related wants it there, to drive 2 million people to the property so they go to those bars/restaurants.  

36 minutes ago, ptatc said:

But not from why happened with the united center. My friend worked on that financing. 

Did he work for a Japanese bank? I watched an interview with JR and his son, and Rocky and his son talking about the UC a couple of years ago. All but 3 million of it, it cost $180 million to build, was financed by Japanese banks. US banks didn't want to touch it. 

The one thing I took out of the interview was that fewer people actually drive to games anymore. The UC has 6000 parking spots. Look for something that will house year round entertainment to be built there someday soon.

Edited by Dick Allen

5 minutes ago, soxfan18 said:

They're not building a ballpark to not also build an entertainment district on the property. That's why Related wants it there, to drive 2 million people to the property so they go to those bars/restaurants.  

I meant throughout the South Loop, not just ballpark adjacent. 

• Like 1

Did anyone see/listen to the Podcast with the Sun Times reporter who broke the story on the Sox new stadium plan?  That reporter made a statement that he believes Ted Phillips wanted the Arlington Heights site for the Bears and Warren wants to stay in Chicago.  Just a fascinating anecdote.  

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Did he work for a Japanese bank? I watched an interview with JR and his son, and Rocky and his son talking about the UC a couple of years ago. All but 3 million of it, it cost $180 million to build, was financed by Japanese banks. US banks didn't want to touch it. 

The one thing I took out of the interview was that fewer people actually drive to games anymore. The UC has 6000 parking spots. Look for something that will house year round entertainment to be built there someday soon.

He worked for CIBC at the time. He said that ownership is working on proposals but that doesn't mean it's even going to happen or the level of function is funding. Just thought it was interesting that it's possible. 

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The owners of the Rays  are spending $600 million dollars on the new stadium in St. Pete. The owners of the Vegas A's are spending  millions of dollars on the new stadium in Vegas. I'm assuming that they will be part owners  of their stadiums. I would assume that JR will become part owner of the new stadium.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Oh man, haven't thought about there in years!   Great pizza by the slice.   South Loop had kind of moved younger in recent years with some of the newer buildings being bought by people who didn't want to commute.  I started working in the financial district in 1998, and it used to just empty there after 5pm.  Now there is actually people and life going on, especially south of Congress.

I lived in the South Loop in the early 2000s. Printer's Row was the closest thing to nightlife outside of a few scattered spots. I'm still surprised by the volume of foot traffic now compared to then. It's really a night and day difference.