Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

Maybe Reinsdorf didn’t ok the leak. Maybe the story wasn’t leaked by the Sox at all. Maybe the Cubs leaked it. The Cubs certainly can’t be doing cartwheels over the possibility of this deal coming to fruition. The Cubs and their fans and their sports media lackeys whom they give nice Christmas presents to would be doing cartwheels if the Sox fled the state. 

4 hours ago, soxfan18 said:

Can we mute the words 'move' and 'Nashville'? 

They're not going anywhere. 

There is minimal public support in Las Vegas to land the A’s.

There is minimal public support in Nashville to land any MLB team.

The cable TV RSN carriage scam has reached an end (grabbing a majority of revenue off of subscribers who have zero interest in you product, about 97% of Americans based Manfred’s new normal World Series ratings).

The stadium musical chairs scam is also nearing an end, with Oakland drastically downgraded Nevada land grant facing significant funding and logistic shortfalls, and all remaining American markets as or less lucrative than the bottom five existing markets.

Stand tall Pritzker, Do The Right Thing.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lightly Folded said:

Maybe Reinsdorf didn’t ok the leak. Maybe the story wasn’t leaked by the Sox at all. Maybe the Cubs leaked it. The Cubs certainly can’t be doing cartwheels over the possibility of this deal coming to fruition. The Cubs and their fans and their sports media lackeys whom they give nice Christmas presents to would be doing cartwheels if the Sox fled the state. 

Maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lightly Folded said:

How would the Cubs leak this?

• Thanks 1

As a lifelong Sox fan who is now in my early 50's, I never in my life thought I would take this position. But if this jerk who has refused to spend the money to run a decent franchise thinks we're going to hand him another billion dollars...he can go f himself and take his damn team to Nashville or wherever he wants to go. I'm so done with Reinsdorf.

This feels like we're all being setup for one final fu from Reinsdorf before he passes away.

Edited by Sarava
  • Like 1
  • Fire 2

On the SCORE this morning Bruce Levine detailed this exceptionally well for David Haugh (as with Leila yesterday) who could not get past equating a $100M contract to this project....this while he bemoans the cubs not spending $100M+ on Bellinger.

What is interesting and I cannot see anything legitimate as it's behind a pay wall is if Reinsdorf assumes this risk based on the franchises equity, he  is more inclined to sell the team.  Value of the team goes up to $3 to $4B with this deal and he's left with a $1B+ debt that the new owner purchases.

Tax hit goes up as well but in the end the profit goes up.  HIs heirs can clear a $1B even after his death, thus reducing the double tax hit. 

Then there is the land he owns by the current GR.  What becomes of that?  I think that is what the city and state want.

I will say this, he is making Kevin Warren look really bad right now if he pulls this off. 

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

As a lifelong Sox fan who is now in my early 50's, I never in my life thought I would take this position. But if this jerk who has refused to spend the money to run a decent franchise thinks we're going to hand him another billion dollars...he can go f himself and take his damn team to Nashville or wherever he wants to go. I'm so done with Reinsdorf.

This feels like we're all being setup for one final fu from Reinsdorf before he passes away.

You are not alone in your thinking at all. Jerry and company are so insulated from the average Sox fans reality. I don't think they realize how much the Sox brand has taken a hit over the last few years. I have never seen the fanbase more apathetic and resigned to the fact that this organization won't be good again any time soon ( a couple of kumbaya posts on Sox Talk are not evidence to the contrary). JR has little to no leverage with the lawmakers and taxpayers right now. There will be no Back to the Future Save the Clocktower type campaign if the old geezer threathens to move the team again. 

7 hours ago, soulfly said:

Or, you leak a billion dollar ask, to instead go in and ask for roughly half of that.  It's all about perception. 

This is what would happen in a normal negotiation. I'm not certain that Reinsdorf is operating in a normal capacity anymore though. Some of his moves over the last few years have been real head scratchers. I don't think he realizes how much things have changed politically since the late 1980s. Hell, he might still have some of his old contacts from Springfield in his office rolodex and was suprised to learn that they are no longer in office when he called.  

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

21 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

On the SCORE this morning Bruce Levine detailed this exceptionally well for David Haugh (as with Leila yesterday) who could not get past equating a $100M contract to this project....this while he bemoans the cubs not spending $100M+ on Bellinger.

What is interesting and I cannot see anything legitimate as it's behind a pay wall is if Reinsdorf assumes this risk based on the franchises equity, he  is more inclined to sell the team.  Value of the team goes up to $3 to $4B with this deal and he's left with a $1B+ debt that the new owner purchases.

Tax hit goes up as well but in the end the profit goes up.  HIs heirs can clear a $1B even after his death, thus reducing the double tax hit. 

Then there is the land he owns by the current GR.  What becomes of that?  I think that is what the city and state want.

I will say this, he is making Kevin Warren look really bad right now if he pulls this off. 

I need to find this audio clip. I'm not certain I've ever heard Bruce Levine articulate anything exceptionally well. Not suprised at all to see him carrying water for JR though. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

So, when the Bears go begging Springfield with their new stadiums public financing ask, will the media outrage be as great as it is with Reinsdorf or will the media sugar coat it. 

Depends on how much they ask for, from who, and where the money is going to come from. 

55 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I do not believe Reinsdorf owns this land. However, I do think that they had this as part of their proposal that they outlined when they released the renderings, they noted that this land could go back to the city for Redevelopment - either a different sports venue with logistics already built up, or alternatively redeveloped to be part of Bridgeport (housing, businesses, etc.)

17 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

A $500 million ask would mean that the White Sox would be putting up probably the other $600-$700 million cost of the park.

This would be more reasonable and plausible than the city paying a full $1 billion for the park and the White Sox chipping in like $100-$200 million or whatever.

This is also why the White Sox should be out in front of this, because if we're not understanding things correctly, it benefits them to make everyone understand the numbers! 

If what you're saying is true about the White Sox putting up $600-$700 million, I would think the deal will get done.

9 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

So, when the Bears go begging Springfield with their new stadiums public financing ask, will the media outrage be as great as it is with Reinsdorf or will the media sugar coat it. 

So far the Bears have said they will ask for no public funds to build the stadium, but the other stuff, yes.

7 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

If what you're saying is true about the White Sox putting up $600-$700 million, I would think the deal will get done.

I literally can't tell. They haven't put out anything that justifies or supports any number. They could be asking for the full $1 billion, no idea.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Depends on how much they ask for, from who, and where the money is going to come from. 

It will come from (originate) from taxes which come from taxpayers. Are you saying whoever, Bears or Sox, asks for less is the good guy and whoever asks for more is the bad guy? 

1 minute ago, Lightly Folded said:

It will come from (originate) from taxes which come from taxpayers. Are you saying whoever, Bears or Sox, asks for less is the good guy and whoever asks for more is the bad guy? 

Extending the hotel tax is very different from creating a new tax or asking for funds from the current state government. A TIF, as on this site, is very different from extending the hotel tax, and that is also very different from creating a new tax. 

You can find the gory details of the last version of that here: https://www.lib.niu.edu/1988/ii880851.html

52 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

I need to find this audio clip. I'm not certain I've ever heard Bruce Levine articulate anything exceptionally well. Not suprised at all to see him carrying water for JR though. 

Around 7:30 it was the most lucid Levine has ever been.  Haugh cut down a caller from Naperville yesterday that was saying the same thing.  There are more then a few hosts on that station that have a holier then thou take on non-sports related topics that turned me off to them.  I listen to them when ESPN is on commercial.

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Extending the hotel tax is very different from creating a new tax or asking for funds from the current state government. A TIF, as on this site, is very different from extending the hotel tax, and that is also very different from creating a new tax. 

You can find the gory details of the last version of that here: https://www.lib.niu.edu/1988/ii880851.html

So let me ask you, if you had 1 payment left on your mortgage, and decided you would get another 30 year mortgage  as soon as you made that payment, you wouldn't consider that new?

If they want to extend the hotel tax, by all means do, but redirect the funds to something else. I live in the Gold Coast. My next door neighbor got mugged walking her dog Saturday night at 9 pm. I'd like more cops.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

So far the Bears have said they will ask for no public funds to build the stadium, but the other stuff, yes.

There was a report that to stay in Chicago they wanted the money from the hotel tax. The reason this is all happening now is that the hotel tax or the issuance of new bonds for it needs to be completed by the end of this year otherwise it's eliminated when GRF is paid.

One of the radio stations reported it.

Edited by ptatc