Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

53 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They both do,that's the issue. They are competing to get it by the deadline at the end of the year .

And that competition means they’re at war. Take anything you read or hear from reporters/writers/talk show hosts with a grain of salt. And keep in mind that the Bears have a lot more of these people on their “payroll” than the Sox do. If they want a story written they’ll find someone to write, or say, it and reward them for doing it. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/white-sox-release-statement-owner-215233971.html

Still trying to figure out why they would choose Sox over Bears

“We recognize discussions about The 78 serving as the future home of the Chicago White Sox have generated a lot of excitement over the potential of the larger project’s positive economic impact. We are mindful and respectful of the legislative process and wanted to travel to Springfield to meet personally with legislative leaders. We’re excited to share our vision, and we appreciate their time and hospitality.”

Another statement followed from a Related Midwest Spokesperson.

“We appreciated the time afforded to us by lawmakers in Springfield today. As we shared in the meetings, The 78 is a generational development and an investment in our hometown. It’s personal to us and we are excited about the prospect of delivering the city’s next great neighborhood, while making an historic economic investment that will bring over 10,000 construction jobs and 22,000 permanent jobs to our city and state. The long-term impact will be transformative – creating a new riverfront neighborhood anchored by a state-of-the-art ballpark for generations of fans to enjoy and help enhance Chicago’s place as a top destination.”

According to a recent, extensive report from Crain's Chicago Business, Reinsdorf is reportedly confident in his chances of winning over the state's approval for his complex financial plan to fulfill the goal of building an entirely new Sox stadium, in collaboration with real estate firm Related Midwest, along the Chicago River.

"The two [Reinsdorf and Related Midwest President Curt Bailey] are bullish they can win state support by arguing the stadium subsidies will bring along billions more in private investment, and the deal is structured in a way to not require new or increased taxes," the report states.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

I don’t agree with Bernstein much but he’s spot on here. If it’s such a great deal, do it yourself. JR and Related have plenty of money.

He can be the catalyst that created this great new ballpark, with a great new neighborhood with 22000 new jobs….what a way to go out, and his heirs still can cash in.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Lightly Folded said:

And that competition means they’re at war. Take anything you read or hear from reporters/writers/talk show hosts with a grain of salt. And keep in mind that the Bears have a lot more of these people on their “payroll” than the Sox do. If they want a story written they’ll find someone to write, or say, it and reward them for doing it. 

I don't think it has anything to do with any of that. I think both clubs want new a stadium and want that public money. While I never believe anything the media says on face value, both clubs are publicly trying to work these deals.it will be interesting to see who wins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soxfan18 said:

81 games vs. 8

Catalyst to new neighborhood vs. who knows what the Bears' city plan is

Sure, but Tennessee just forked over $1.3 billion and the NFL is always going to be the biggest game in town...even in SEC and NASCAR territory.

Of course the Bears aren't really able to leave Chicago...how much is having two MLB franchises worth it to the City of Chicago?

Does it really hurt the Bay Area to lose the A's, for example?

What is wrong with you all?  The state giving us fans a beautiful new stadium is probably the best outcome we can hope for!  I couldn't be happier with this proposed stadium.  The renderings, the location, its all good.  The state of Illinois has wasted so much money on things that are far, far more worthless than a beautiful new baseball cathedral.  Don't all start acting like you're fiscal watchdogs.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, but Tennessee just forked over $1.3 billion and the NFL is always going to be the biggest game in town...even in SEC and NASCAR territory.

Of course the Bears aren't really able to leave Chicago...how much is having two MLB franchises worth it to the City of Chicago?

Does it really hurt the Bay Area to lose the A's, for example?

A football stadium takes up a lot more room than a baseball stadium.

So, that would hamper the plans for developing the rest of the parcel / kills the "create a neighborhood" pitch

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Green Line said:

What is wrong with you all?  The state giving us fans a beautiful new stadium is probably the best outcome we can hope for!  I couldn't be happier with this proposed stadium.  The renderings, the location, its all good.  The state of Illinois has wasted so much money on things that are far, far more worthless than a beautiful new baseball cathedral.  Don't all start acting like you're fiscal watchdogs.

I think it's the idea that JR already once extorted money for a new stadium AND got a sweetheart least. Given all this he refuses to put a competent product on the field, instead seems to be doing everything he and his front office can, to dump on and alienate Sox fans.

I'd be all for giving him this deal if I knew the return on the field would be coming.

43 years of history shows that will not be the case. 

If he wants this he can pay for it himself.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 2

25 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think it's the idea that JR already once extorted money for a new stadium AND got a sweetheart least. Given all this he refuses to put a competent product on the field, instead seems to be doing everything he and his front office can, to dump on and alienate Sox fans.

I'd be all for giving him this deal if I knew the return on the field would be coming.

43 years of history shows that will not be the case. 

If he wants this he can pay for it himself.

They won a World Series since the new stadium opened. It hasn't been 43 years if futility. Maybe only 41.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t agree with Bernstein much but he’s spot on here. If it’s such a great deal, do it yourself. JR and Related have plenty of money.

He can be the catalyst that created this great new ballpark, with a great new neighborhood with 22000 new jobs….what a way to go out, and his heirs still can cash in.

Sure, but why pay more than you have to? As stated before, I don't blame JR for asking it's god business.i blame the idiot politicians for agreeing. 

following up: Jerry Reinsdorf takes case for ballpark funding to Springfield

By Jim Margalus 

Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf
(Photo by Kamil Krzaczynski/USA TODAY Sports)

Jerry Reinsdorf made his visit to Springfield to make an in-person case with Illinois leadership for $1 billion in subsidies for a new South Loop ballpark, and if he angled for a charm offensive, he didn’t show that hand to the media.

He used the word “cordial” with regards to meetings, but he was shorter on words when the media asked about any specifics for his request:

He said he didn’t know if any legislation would be filed during the spring session pertaining to his proposal. When asked about the specifics of his request to lawmakers, Reinsdorf replied, “Come on, that’s enough fellas.”

And:

Isabel: Sir, why do the White Sox need another subsidy after being…

Reinsdorf: Oh, I don’t want to talk about that.

For those capable of cognitive dissonance, it’s tough to square up being as dismissive of the public as Reinsdorf is, while asking for all of its money (Illinois has a $900 million budget shortfall). The question is whether Reinsdorf’s blithe disregard for the general populace will end up hurting him …

… or whether a lot of this has already been generally agreed to, and everybody’s just going through the motions.

• Paper Bag 1

Jerry's ability to take this on at the age of 87 is really impressive. He likely won't be alive when the park gets completed. Is this a plan to increase the value of his team before selling? If he gets everything approved, a team with a future new ballpark/baseball village in a great area would be extremely attractive to a potential buyer. 

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ptatc said:

Sure, but why pay more than you have to? As stated before, I don't blame JR for asking it's god business.i blame the idiot politicians for agreeing. 

I think it crosses the line to greed. Everyone has a friend or family member that tries to negotiate everything. At some point it gets so annoying, you say just pay your share.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, soxfan18 said:

81 games vs. 8

Catalyst to new neighborhood vs. who knows what the Bears' city plan is

Whatever new bears facility happens will be a year round domed facility.  It will no longer be 8 games and some summer concerts/events

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

following up: Jerry Reinsdorf takes case for ballpark funding to Springfield

By Jim Margalus 

Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf
(Photo by Kamil Krzaczynski/USA TODAY Sports)

Jerry Reinsdorf made his visit to Springfield to make an in-person case with Illinois leadership for $1 billion in subsidies for a new South Loop ballpark, and if he angled for a charm offensive, he didn’t show that hand to the media.

He used the word “cordial” with regards to meetings, but he was shorter on words when the media asked about any specifics for his request:

He said he didn’t know if any legislation would be filed during the spring session pertaining to his proposal. When asked about the specifics of his request to lawmakers, Reinsdorf replied, “Come on, that’s enough fellas.”

And:

Isabel: Sir, why do the White Sox need another subsidy after being…

Reinsdorf: Oh, I don’t want to talk about that.

For those capable of cognitive dissonance, it’s tough to square up being as dismissive of the public as Reinsdorf is, while asking for all of its money (Illinois has a $900 million budget shortfall). The question is whether Reinsdorf’s blithe disregard for the general populace will end up hurting him …

… or whether a lot of this has already been generally agreed to, and everybody’s just going through the motions.

Lip, is this entire article lifted from soxmachine?  If it is, you need to edit it down asap

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Green Line said:

I agree with you.  The new stadium would be a great thing for the White Sox franchise.