Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

On 2/23/2024 at 6:54 PM, Lightly Folded said:

I guess being a Sox fan isn’t a lifetime commitment for everyone.

If they stay, it will be a lifetime commitment for me. If they move to Nashville, it won’t be for me because there is no connection to the city of Chicago and my kids won’t be able to grow up watching White Sox baseball.

On 2/23/2024 at 7:35 PM, Lightly Folded said:

I’ve been a Sox fan since I was 5 years old which was 65 years ago. My father who was born in 1910 was a Sox Sox fan since he was knee high to a grasshopper. My grandfather was there when the Sox  played on Wentworth avenue  before old comiskey was built. That’s generational commitment.  You don’t quit a lifetime commitment because of a Jerry Reinsdorf. 

See above. “I didn’t realize that this many Sox fans care more about Jerry losing than the organization actually winning.” @Chicago White Sox may have seen this from some on this thread, on Twitter or on Facebook, but I don’t think fans want to see JR fail. Instead, if a new stadium is to be built, it shouldn’t be completely publicly financed. JR, the other minority owners and the new developer should have skin in the game. A private and public investment makes more sense if that is what it takes to build a new stadium and keep the team here. And as I stated before, there definitely needs to be some use of GRF and development of Bridgeport so that the existing stadium doesn’t go to waste.

On 2/23/2024 at 8:30 PM, joejoesox said:

Pritzker will be in office as long as he wants.  Dude will be able to out-spend every opponent, just like his first term.  I voted for Biss, who obviously had no chance in hell.

Same here. Although Biss got his chance to approve changes to local ordinance for the new NU football stadium in Evanston, which the Ryan family is privately funding.

• Fire 1

I believe many think JR will still be around for a long time because he is doing well for a man of his age. Yet, some have described him as  "shuffling" around Springfield not walking. Maybe he isn't doing as well as we think. After all, he is 88.

Think about it. A team suffers through a 101-loss season, and JR's main priority is a new stadium. No doubt he wants his family to be well off after he goes, and a new stadium will help. I have nothing against a man taking care of his family, but that family will just fine financially, stadium or no stadium.

Meanwhile, at least in the short run, we fans can't expect much from an on-field performance. Maybe Getz will do a good job in the end, but for now we will see losing. 2025 makes 20 years. 

Public funding of sewer water electric and roads is OK. Jerry pays the rest. No one cares about what he needs. The team blows and he has ruined the franchise. First pay off the GRF debts and we will talk. 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 8:30 PM, joejoesox said:

Pritzker will be in office as long as he wants.  Dude will be able to out-spend every opponent, just like his first term.  I voted for Biss, who obviously had no chance i

Edit -Correct. Munchkin lib would not be favored for the presidency. 

Edited by pcq

3 hours ago, pcq said:

Public funding of sewer water electric and roads is OK. Jerry pays the rest. No one cares about what he needs. The team blows and he has ruined the franchise. First pay off the GRF debts and we will talk

I agree.  That debt is *only* $50M.  If Jerry isn't willing to cover that, then the state should tell him no.   JR is saving at least that much by slashing payroll after the rebuild crashed and burned.  

2 hours ago, pcq said:

IL governor cannot serve three consecutive terms. Munchkin lib would not be favored for the presidency. 

There are no term limits for Illinois Governor.  Edgar chose not to seek a 3rd term voluntarily.  Everyone else since him has been limited due to their incompetence and/or crookedness.  

Edited by 77 Hitmen
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, 77 Hitmen said:

That debt is *only* $50M.  If Jerry isn't willing to cover that, then the state should tell him no.   JR is saving at least that much by slashing payroll after the rebuild crashed and burned.  

There are no term limits for Illinois Governor.  Edgar chose not to seek a 3rd term voluntarily.  Everyone else since him has been limited due to their incompetence and/or crookedness.  

Oops that was Indiana. 

3 hours ago, 77 Hitmen said:

I agree.  That debt is *only* $50M.  If Jerry isn't willing to cover that, then the state should tell him no.   JR is saving at least that much by slashing payroll after the rebuild crashed and burned.  

I was in high school at the time, anyone know why Edgar didn’t want a third term?

43 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

I was in high school at the time, anyone know why Edgar didn’t want a third term?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/campaign98/stories/wp082197.htm

Edgar announced his decision four days after a federal jury in Springfield convicted one of his top campaign contributors and a former manager in the Illinois Department of Public Aid on fraud and bribery charges. The case stemmed from charges that Management Services of Illinois provided gifts and other bribes to state employees in return for renegotiation of a contract with the state for computer services that prosecutors charged bilked taxpayers of more than $7 million. The firm and some of its officials have donated more than $270,000 in cash and computer services to Edgar's gubernatorial campaigns.

• Paper Bag 1

4 hours ago, 77 Hitmen said:

I thought term limits were imposed after Jim Thompson? 

EDIT: just looked. You are correct. 

Edited by NO!!MARY!!!

39 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Game over. Jerry ain’t getting is way and he’s not spending his own money. No new owners going to spend billions to buy a team that plays at rate field nor would they spend billions to build here when other cities would build them a new one. Bye bye.

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2024 at 3:31 AM, The Beast said:

If they stay, it will be a lifetime commitment for me. If they move to Nashville, it won’t be for me because there is no connection to the city of Chicago and my kids won’t be able to grow up watching White Sox baseball.

It's interesting. As fans if makes us wonder what exactly we are fans of. Its surely not the ownership. Neither is it completely the players because they come from all over and come and go, understandably seeking the best contracts.

That said, I grew up and am still four hours away from the games but only being able to get up a couple times each year just made the experiences more special. Would it change if they moved to be five hours south of me? I don't know. In a sense it would seem they would effectively become a different team, even if they kept the name. I guess I would remain a fan, if for no other reason that there would be no Chicago alternative outside of the Cubs. Its all hypothetical though anyway...right????

8 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

It's interesting. As fans if makes us wonder what exactly we are fans of. Its surely not the ownership. Neither is it completely the players because they come from all over and come and go, understandably seeking the best contracts.

That said, I grew up and am still four hours away from the games but only being able to get up a couple times each year just made the experiences more special. Would it change if they moved to be five hours south of me? I don't know. In a sense it would seem they would effectively become a different team, even if they kept the name. I guess I would remain a fan, if for no other reason that there would be no Chicago alternative outside of the Cubs. Its all hypothetical though anyway...right????

Once they leave they no longer exist. It’s death. Nashville or wherever they go is a brand new baby. New beginning with a whole brand new history to write. It sucks (for me) but reality is real. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

Once they leave they no longer exist. It’s death. Nashville or wherever they go is a brand new baby. New beginning with a whole brand new history to write. It sucks (for me) but reality is real. 

This makes sense. I would think the Nashville folks would see them as a new creation as well and leave the past as the past. I do not think identities should be portable to different cities. It just doesn't seem right. 

I am not a Chicago native but I think a similar argument could be made if they moved to another Chicago location completely removed from the south side. The south side is just baked into the cake.

Edited by SpringfieldFan
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

Being a White Sox and Expos fan over the decades, I can tell you the cheering for the Nationals never entered the equation and they are among my most hated teams.

Too bad this man wasn’t Governor thirty five years ago, or twenty four when the Soldier Field debacle was passed.

Jerry should negotiate a short term extension and let an actual legitimate capable new owner, one willing and able to build both a new stadium and successful organization, work out a deal.

The city and state can assess the level of infrastructure assistance required and beneficial to the impacted communities, plus the city and state as a whole when a credible ownership group enters the equation.

On 2/25/2024 at 8:50 AM, Falstaff said:

The Soxtalk Tea Party is formed and takes to the streets for fiscal responsibility in the great state of Illinois.

I'm not for fiscal responsibility, moreso spending public funding on things that actually help the citizens of IL. Like the medical debt erasure proposed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Being a White Sox and Expos fan over the decades, I can tell you the cheering for the Nationals never entered the equation and they are among my most hated teams.

Too bad this man wasn’t Governor thirty five years ago, or twenty four when the Soldier Field debacle was passed.

Jerry should negotiate a short term extension and let an actual legitimate capable new owner, one willing and able to build both a new stadium and successful organization, work out a deal.

The city and state can assess the level of infrastructure assistance required and beneficial to the impacted communities, plus the city and state as a whole when a credible ownership group enters the equation.

The one thing every team does now, even the Rays and A's is let the public know how much THEY will be contributing above and beyond their handout. What's JR's number? Never provided one, so probably zero. A new owner would pay something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

57 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

Yeah, the only way I can be done with this team is if they are gone. If they ever move (they won't anytime soon) and completely change the identity to a new team name, colors, etc. Just would not be the same.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The one thing every team does now, even the Rays and A's is let the public know how much THEY will be contributing above and beyond their handout. What's JR's number? Never provided one, so probably zero. A new owner would pay something. 

Jerry has been consistent since he bought the team his number is $0 or less (rent free stadium plus unlimited renovations whenever I snap my fingers), whether it’s the White Sox or for any other franchise.

https://www.fieldofschemes.com/2004/12/19/798/leggo-my-ego/

When Williams suggested that the city would be willing to build a ballpark by using two-thirds public funding and one-third of the money coming from the team, The Washington Post reported that Reinsdorf responded: “Two-thirds/one-third is fine. But three-thirds/no-thirds is more of what we had in mind.

55 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

This makes sense. I would think the Nashville folks would see them as a new creation as well and leave the past as the past. I do not think identities should be portable to different cities. It just doesn't seem right. 

I am not a Chicago native but I think a similar argument could be made if they moved to another Chicago location completely removed from the south side. The south side is just baked into the cake.

The once floated idea of moving to a suburb would keep the franchise local and identifiable as a Chicago area team. Moving to Nashville or wherever recreates them.  When the  Chicago Cardinals moved to St. Louis and later when they moved to Phoenix the connections with the previous city(s) vanished…..poof. Same scenario here. 

1 hour ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

So it’s official? They’re gone? Moving to Nashville? Did the owners approve? 

The white Sox are a small market team playing in a big market city primarily because of where they play, 35th and shields which is basically a Chicago backwater. The owners will approve. 

50 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Why would a new owner spend billions to buy the Sox and then spend more billions to build a new park when other cities would build them one?