Whitesox sign Kevin Pillar to Minor League Deal 3M if he makes the club

Vote4Pedro

5 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I would say that the acquisition of most of these veterans means they believe these youngsters will do f***-all

Okay, then trade them all for low A lottery tickets.  At least that would be a strategy that makes some sort of sense.  Don’t just keep them around as organizational filler to start games at AAA.  Organizational filler can be found everywhere.

I can’t wait to watch these veterans win 10 more games then some youth to finish the season with 70 wins.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I would say that the acquisition of most of these veterans means they believe these youngsters will do f***-all

I mean except for Luis Robert that's been proven true. 

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Time to bring back that Fangraphs article about how the 2nd through 4th strings provided one of the worst statistical performances in modern baseball history...

I don't even care how they perform. New faces are a welcome sight to the same old s%*# we've been dealt the past few years. There will always be 1 or 2 outliers that outperform the expected results that make it intriguing that add icing to the top. That's how low the bar is at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

I don't even care how they perform. New faces are a welcome sight to the same old s%*# we've been dealt the past few years. There will always be 1 or 2 outliers that outperform the expected results that make it intriguing that add icing to the top. That's how low the bar is at this point. 

Yeah it's basically left to Eloy Moncada and Kopech to take the hits as symbols of what might have been...the last vestiges of the Great Rebuild of 2016/17/18/19.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

41 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sheets is pretty much worthless other than as a bad lefty backup 1B that will occasionally run into one.

My point is, what is this strategy even supposed to be?  They will be terrible either way.  Why not see if you can salvage some young players for the future as either starters or bench players by giving them at bats in a lost season?  That way, Getz may not have to waste $3 to $5 million on all of these terrible bench players.

The strategy is the same as it was once they hired Bannister which I identified shortly thereafter. Getz knows that not being able to get a top 10 draft choice in consecutive years is now impossible thanks to that ridiculous anti-tanking rule.That strategy is to create tradable assets from thin air, rejects. That's why I knew Kopech would be put in the starting rotation and not the pen. Maldonado although apparently useless defensively and offensively still has a reputation for calling a good game. That's why they got defensive guys like DeJong and Lopez.It's highly unlikely to create more than a couple of guys who can be traded for anything useful in the future.

Now you can question signing these guys and actually paying them millions of dollars all you want. It's ugly that's for sure. You can actually scout AAA for a lot of guys around 27 or 28 with good gloves and some decent hitting stats and offer teams cash considerations (let's say no more than $1M) for some of those guys. Some teams might actually bite on that.

All this talk about once they knew about the anti-tanking draft rule that they should have committed to spending more is crazy talk (Cease thread).  That was never going to happen, not this year anyway. The Sox idea of spending would be $5-10 million  for 1 year for old washed up vets (Duvall, Michael A. Taylor, Kiermaier,Ryu Clevinger etc.) hoping to flip them like Hahn always did and getting nothing from it. That plan is far worse.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Time to bring back that Fangraphs article about how the 2nd through 4th strings provided one of the worst statistical performances in modern baseball history...

Getz’s entire offseason has been signing veterans that are either old as hell and/or (mostly “and”) were terrible last year, and they weren’t even all that cheap!  He signed a bunch of guys as starters that would be bench players at best on any other team, and they probably didn’t deserve much more than a minor league contract.

I’ll take my chances with guys like Colas, Perez, and Sosa potentially sucking over Pillar/Phillips, Maldonado/Stassi, and DeJong/Lopez sucking for sure.  We already know these veterans suck and/or their days are numbers as major leaguers.  Why bother playeing them?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The strategy is the same as it was once they hired Bannister which I identified shortly thereafter. Getz knows that not being able to get a top 10 draft choice in consecutive years is now impossible thanks to that ridiculous anti-tanking rule.That strategy is to create tradable assets from thin air, rejects. That's why I knew Kopech would be put in the starting rotation and not the pen. Maldonado although apparently useless defensively and offensively still has a reputation for calling a good game. That's why they got defensive guys like DeJong and Lopez.It's highly unlikely to create more than a couple of guys who can be traded for anything useful in the future.

Now you can question signing these guys and actually paying them millions of dollars all you want. It's ugly that's for sure. You can actually scout AAA for a lot of guys around 27 or 28 with good gloves and some decent hitting stats and offer teams cash considerations (let's say no more than $1M) for some of those guys. Some teams might actually bite on that.

All this talk about once they knew about the anti-tanking draft rule that they should have committed to spending more is crazy talk (Cease thread).  That was never going to happen, not this year anyway. The Sox idea of spending would be $5-10 million  for 1 year for old washed up vets (Duvall, Michael A. Taylor, Kiermaier,Ryu Clevinger etc.) hoping to flip them like Hahn always did and getting nothing from it. That plan is far worse.

Great points about anti-tanking.  So at this point, the way I see it is that at bats are truly valuable.  See what some younger guys can do.  Also, if they avoided signing all of these vets this offseason, why couldn’t that money be spent later when they are more competitive?  We were always told “the money would be spent” when Hahn missed out on Machado/Harper.  Why not treat the money the same way, see if any of your aging prospects can perform, and spend the money when you have a team that is closer to being competitive?

No other team shows much interest in Pillar as a fourth outfielder and we are talking about starting him in RF in a platoon with Brett Phillips.  How low can you go?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz’s entire offseason has been signing veterans that are either old as hell and/or (mostly “and”) were terrible last year, and they weren’t even all that cheap!  He signed a bunch of guys as starters that would be bench players at best on any other team, and they probably didn’t deserve much more than a minor league contract.

I’ll take my chances with guys like Colas, Perez, and Sosa potentially sucking over Pillar/Phillips, Maldonado/Stassi, and DeJong/Lopez sucking for sure.  We already know these veterans suck and/or their days are numbers as major leaguers.  Why bother playeing them?

How much money has Getz actually committed to these guys? I know it depends on who makes the roster, but the comparison is always 2019, where Hahn spent over $40 million on veterans that offseason, with an extra $20 million in additional commitments for 2020, and all that did was push his team up to just over 70 wins.

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

How much money has Getz actually committed to these guys? I know it depends on who makes the roster, but the comparison is always 2019, where Hahn spent over $40 million on veterans that offseason, with an extra $20 million in additional commitments for 2020, and all that did was push his team up to just over 70 wins.

Oh, I know Hahn was even worse with that offseason in which he essentially burned $40 million, but Getz hasn’t been much better.  Here’s some of his one year signings that I don’t see how they even move the dial at all for the Sox.  That’s $20.5 million total on a bunch of trash for the same team that was afraid to pay Bryce Harper $25 million a year.  Predictions on the combined WAR from these guys?

John Brebbia $5.5 million

Nicky Lopez $4.3 million

Martin Maldonado $4.25 million

Kevin Pillar $3 million

Paul DeJong $1.75 million

Chris Flexen $1.75 million

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Seriously, save all the money Getz wasted this offseason dumpster diving for terrible veterans, put it in a vault, and spend it later on something worthwhile.  Not this collection of crap.

They haven’t spent much of anything this off-season. That save the money for later ended up being complete bullshit. They spent over a quarter billion on Lynn, Grandal, Keuchel, Benintendi and Leury. Not to mention over $100M on ancient bullpen guys who knew and played for TLR back in the day.

They aren’t blocking a single player worth a damn, including the dozen already cut. A bunch of scraps held together by meat glue. The entire organization was/is that barren. The few solid prospects they do have are either in AA or just getting started in AAA. Colas needs to get his act together first before playing here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I never said to spend big at all.  My point is, why even spend at all on these guys?  Let Colas prove himself in the majors.  See what Sosa can do.  Sink or swim.  We already know that the majority of the veteran players that Getz acquired suck, so why even waste money, time, and at bats on them?  What exactly are you buying time for?  You are wasting time in a losing season in which you can figure out if your young players are worth a damn.

They’re bringing in dudes who suck but have good work ethic to try and show the importance of fundamentals and preparation to the young ones with talent.

Maybe it’ll rub off and unlock something. Stranger things have happened and hope springs eternal. 😆

• Thanks 1

Oh, I know Hahn was even worse with that offseason in which he essentially burned $40 million, but Getz hasn’t been much better.  Here’s some of his one year signings that I don’t see how they even move the dial at all for the Sox.  That’s $20.5 million total on a bunch of trash for the same team that was afraid to pay Bryce Harper $25 million a year.  Predictions on the combined WAR from these guys?

John Brebbia $5.5 million

Nicky Lopez $4.3 million

Martin Maldonado $4.25 million

Kevin Pillar $3 million

Paul DeJong $1.75 million

Chris Flexen $1.75 million

Great points about anti-tanking.  So at this point, the way I see it is that at bats are truly valuable.  See what some younger guys can do.  Also, if they avoided signing all of these vets this offseason, why couldn’t that money be spent later when they are more competitive?  We were always told “the money would be spent” when Hahn missed out on Machado/Harper.  Why not treat the money the same way, see if any of your aging prospects can perform, and spend the money when you have a team that is closer to being competitive?

No other team shows much interest in Pillar as a fourth outfielder and we are talking about starting him in RF in a platoon with Brett Phillips.  How low can you go?

I think pitchers on the Sox are all glad to see some decent gloves out there and veteran catchers. Your most likely tradable assets will come from the pitching staff since pitching is always more tradable at the deadline. So you try to keep the pitchers happy, create a good environment around them and with Bannister's magic pixie it will pay off  (that's sarcasm). Not much of a plan but it is a plan. No reason to play the young guys just to play them. They want them to earn it . No free passes. Be better and show me you want it. And do it in the minors. No sense wasting valuable service time. ANd that service time is sadly more precious than anything to the farm system and their worth as prospects. Maybe others like Montgomery, Ramos Colas Sosa Quero all crack the lineup in 2025. Buying time for all that , Moncada and Eloy salary gone. Spend a little more (wisely). A long and arduous path that will likely be some very bad baseball.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They haven’t spent much of anything this off-season. That save the money for later ended up being complete bullshit. They spent over a quarter billion on Lynn, Grandal, Keuchel, Benintendi and Leury. Not to mention over $100M on ancient bullpen guys who knew and played for TLR back in the day.

They aren’t blocking a single player worth a damn, including the dozen already cut. A bunch of scraps held together by meat glue. The entire organization was/is that barren. The few solid prospects they do have are either in AA or just getting started in AAA. Colas needs to get his act together first before playing here. 

Don't forget Kimbrel Keuchel Pollock...Kelly.

Hendriks hard to blame...he or Woodruff would be much better gambles with that money compared to the resources Getz has wasted already.

Edited by caulfield12

Kevin Pillar has agreed to a minor league deal with the White Sox that will pay him $3 million if he makes the team, according to MLBTR’s Steve Adams.
Pillar is probably being assured of a roster spot here, but the White Sox will be able to wait until mid or late March to decide who gets bumped for him. Ideally, the White Sox would have signed someone better to serve as a caretaker in right, but at least Pillar will be content with a platoon role if Oscar Colás develops. If Colás fails to progress, Pillar would be a fourth major offensive liability to go along with Paul DeJong, Nicky Lopez and Martín Maldonado in the bottom half of the team’s lineup.

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:
Kevin Pillar has agreed to a minor league deal with the White Sox that will pay him $3 million if he makes the team, according to MLBTR’s Steve Adams.
Pillar is probably being assured of a roster spot here, but the White Sox will be able to wait until mid or late March to decide who gets bumped for him. Ideally, the White Sox would have signed someone better to serve as a caretaker in right, but at least Pillar will be content with a platoon role if Oscar Colás develops. If Colás fails to progress, Pillar would be a fourth major offensive liability to go along with Paul DeJong, Nicky Lopez and Martín Maldonado in the bottom half of the team’s lineup.

Not expecting much from Stassi either after being out so long at his age.