Whitesox sign Kevin Pillar to Minor League Deal 3M if he makes the club

Vote4Pedro

I know Gallo sucks but how does Pillar get $3 million guaranteed if he makes the roster and Gallo only gets $5 million?  Pretty sure I’d rather have him than Pillar for $2 million more.  Sure seems like Getz overpaid here.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

41 minutes ago, Snopek said:

It sort of feels like year -1 of the rebuild, at least on the offensive side, considering the ages I added to CWS’s reasonable guess at the opening day lineup

Average age 30.1 💀

What’s scary is that outside of Robert, there isn’t a single player in the lineup who will be under 30 by the end of the season and with three years of control left.  Vaughn has two years of Arb left after the 2024 season, Eloy has two club options, and Moncada has one club option.  Beyond that you’ll still have three years of a 30+ years old (and likely declining) Benintendi.  That’s it for the guys already in place, which means filling six to eight everyday spots over the next couple of years.  Hahn really left a heaping pile of s%*# on his way out.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s scary is that outside of Robert, there isn’t a single player in the lineup who will be under 30 by the end of the season and with three years of control left.  Vaughn has two years of Arb left after the 2024 season, Eloy has two club options, and Moncada has one club option.  Beyond that you’ll still have three years of a 30+ years old (and likely declining) Benintendi.  That’s it for the guys already in place, which means filling six to eight everyday spots over the next couple of years.  Hahn really left a heaping pile of s%*# on his way out.

Exactly.  It will take years for the Sox to field a good team.  Jerry was flat out lying about contending immediately.  Smart fans like yourself know better.

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This lineup would’ve been pretty sweet about five years ago.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

25 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

There is still guys available and we are still in off season 

I just don’t see it, but theoretically could still happen.  Unfortunately, this feels like the move to me, with Pillar moving to a true 4th OF role a couple months into the season when Colas is hopefully ready.  Until then, someone cheap like Brett Phillips likely fills in as the 4th OF and provides some defense.  Again, just me speculating, but if they were going to sign someone like Duvall they should have just done that move and not this one.

4 minutes ago, Highland said:

Getz recently said he was not done yet. Is this what he means?

Getz most recently said he was still looking to add a right fielder.  I wouldn’t be surprised if this is about it, outside of cheap minor league pickups and non roster invitees (mostly relievers).

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just don’t see it, but theoretically could still happen.  Unfortunately, this feels like the move to me, with Pillar moving to a true 4th OF role a couple months into the season when Colas is hopefully ready.  Until then, someone cheap like Brett Phillips likely fills in as the 4th OF and provides some defense.  Again, just me speculating, but if they were going to sign someone like Duvall they should have just done that move and not this one.

If Pillar gets $3 million, Duvall is likely out of the Sox price range (probably closer to $8 million).

12 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Oh, I know Hahn was even worse with that offseason in which he essentially burned $40 million, but Getz hasn’t been much better.  Here’s some of his one year signings that I don’t see how they even move the dial at all for the Sox.  That’s $20.5 million total on a bunch of trash for the same team that was afraid to pay Bryce Harper $25 million a year.  Predictions on the combined WAR from these guys?

John Brebbia $5.5 million

Nicky Lopez $4.3 million

Martin Maldonado $4.25 million

Kevin Pillar $3 million

Paul DeJong $1.75 million

Chris Flexen $1.75 million

So if we count Fedde they’ve spent nearly $30 million in new money? Ugh that’s more than I realized.

Better hope At least one of them is actually traded for something useful.

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I’m starting to think the White Sox are unaware of the tanking rules, and still think they have a shot at the first pick in 2025.

Draft pick not withstanding,  why would you add substantive money to this roster?  So they can win 68 games instead of 60?  They were never going to be able to add enough to this roster to be the the 19th best team in MLB anyway. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

If Pillar gets $3 million, Duvall is likely out of the Sox price range (probably closer to $8 million).

Duvall also probably doesn't want to come here. He's still relatively good, and undoubtedly has a much bigger market and competition. Pillar is hanging onto the last chance to stay in the majors, and likely jumped at the chance to be a starter somewhere.

• Like 1

Frankie Montas has had exactly one more "above average" bWAR season than Chris Flexen. Luis Severino hasn't been dominant in 6 years. We would all be high fiving each other if the Sox threw $15 million at one or both of these guys, and Chris Flexen and Erick Fedde have a better chance of out-performing either. 

Getz told us what the plan was, and it looks like he's following it. I'm not sure why everybody is surprised. Maybe you're surprised he's actually doing what he said. He's picking up character guys who can catch the ball. When Montgomery, Ramos, Quero and Popeye (maybe Sosa and Colas) are ready, they'll slot in. 

I agree that this roster looks like ass. I'm interested in what they can do with Soroka, Fedde, Flexen and Kopech. 

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Frankie Montas has had exactly one more "above average" bWAR season than Chris Flexen. Luis Severino hasn't been dominant in 6 years. We would all be high fiving each other if the Sox threw $15 million at one or both of these guys, and Chris Flexen and Erick Fedde have a better chance of out-performing either. 

Getz told us what the plan was, and it looks like he's following it. I'm not sure why everybody is surprised. Maybe you're surprised he's actually doing what he said. He's picking up character guys who can catch the ball. When Montgomery, Ramos, Quero and Popeye (maybe Sosa and Colas) are ready, they'll slot in. 

I agree that this roster looks like ass. I'm interested in what they can do with Soroka, Fedde, Flexen and Kopech. 

What the f***. You change your tune right when I become a competing-truther?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You're still counting on Rodriguez?

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re probably right.  But even if he wasn’t, why sign Piller and him?

Hey Nicky Lopez says it was a great signing! (LOL 😆)

Lopez also is keeping a list of all the "negative" comments and predictions for the team this year to use as "motivation" in the clubhouse.

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Aside from the stupid Maldonado deal it’s hard to question any of these individual deals, but when you back out - they spent $30 million on this and have likely $12 million in 2025 commitments already (assuming Fedde isn’t traded), that’s a ton of money to spend on “improving character guys” when it’s hard to see almost any of it making any kind of difference long term.

Amd for reference, I hate the idea of calling these guys character guys. Dallas Keuchel was supposed to be a character guy and a team leader when he was signed, KW praised him for being a leader repeatedly. He got here and called things BS that frankly were BS, and now we vilify his attitude. Lynn was a character guy until he wasn’t, and then again ripped the org on the way out. Importing culture from the Royals is a dumb strategy.

Some of this money was needed for filling holes, but we should watch closely whether we get anything useful long term out of any of these moves or whether any of these so-called character guys rip the org behind the scenes. The last batch of character guys did that all the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Hey Nicky Lopez says it was a great signing! (LOL 😆)

Lopez also is keeping a list of all the "negative" comments and predictions for the team this year to use as "motivation" in the clubhouse.

However they can get motivated. Lord knows some of the others should take note. 

Just now, ron883 said:

What the f***. You change your tune right when I become a competing-truther?

I never said this is a stellar group of players. I said that they could pick up 5-10 wins just by adding replacement + players to C, 2B, SS and RF, along with Yoan, Eloy, Benintendi and AV realizing any part of their upsides. They got 9.8 bWAR from their starting rotation in 2023. That's not a high bar to clear, especially if Cease stays to the deadline. 

1 hour ago, pcq said:

I see no evidence of a rebuild. Just picking up warm bodies and treading water is not a rebuild. Maybe they will try harder this year. 

That's why I said year 0 and another poster said year -1. They are in the process of tearing stuff down (waiting for contracts to end).  I can even begin to imagine when their next competitive team will be. Montgomery looks like an mlb regular. I have hope for Nastrini as a rotation member, then a lot of guys like Eder and Cannon that they can plug in and hopefully hit on 1 or 2. Both Ramos and Quero have mlb regular upside, but are by no means sure things. After that it gets hard to imagine who the next wave really is.  I guess I'm saying, enjoy the churros?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So if we count Fedde they’ve spent nearly $30 million in new money? Ugh that’s more than I realized.

Better hope At least one of them is actually traded for something useful.

I didn’t include Fedde because he is on a two year deal and may actually return a prospect if he has a good first half or entire 2024.  The rest of the acquisitions this offseason are one year deals for trash that won’t return anything in a trade.

So yeah, more of the same offseason transactions, just like Kenny and Hahn.  Numerous crappy signings that add up to a decent amount of money, rather than signing one or two good players that are actually difference makers with positive WAR.

Edited by WhiteSox2023