ST Thread

pcq

J. D. Davis

Not worth the $6.9M waiver claim, and wish he could cover RF, but would definitely promise a minimum 60 starts (rest at 3B, 1B and LF) plus injury time if J. D. Davis had any interest for coming here if he clears waivers.

Fangraphs2.2 fWAR last year, 1.8 ZIPS projected as a 2024 starter, decent power and OPS.

Certainly more valuable than Moustakas and Sheets.

If you have no offense and need power now. Call J. D. Davis, 877 SIGN-NOW. 877-SIGN-NOW.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

J. D. Davis

Not worth the $6.9M waiver claim, and wish he could cover RF, but would definitely promise a minimum 60 starts (rest at 3B, 1B and LF) plus injury time if J. D. Davis had any interest for coming here if he clears waivers.

Fangraphs2.2 fWAR last year, 1.8 ZIPS projected as a 2024 starter, decent power and OPS.

Call J. D. Wentworth, 877 SIGN-NOW

I think the Cubs should and will be all over Davis at that price and short commitment for their hole at 3B.  Christopher Morel has a glove like Sheets.  He’s basically a DH.  And Madrigal is, well Madrigal.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I think the Cubs should and will be all over Davis at that price and short commitment for their hole at 3B.  Christopher Morel has a glove like Sheets.  He’s basically a DH.  And Madrigal is, well Madrigal.

Yes he would be a good fit, send Wisdom down. They could still use a backup OF to cover the corners as well.

16 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes he would be a good fit, send Wisdom down. They could still use a backup OF to cover the corners as well.

Not sure Wisdom would be the odd man out since they gave him $2.725 million and he’s a nice power bat to have on the bench.  But I agree with you.  Davis has normally been bad defensively at 3B, but he was pretty good last year.  Maybe it was just a fluke year though.  But not sure the Cubs could get by with Morel at any spot other than DH and Madrigal swings a wet newspaper.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

J. D. Davis

If you have no offense and need power now. Call J. D. Davis, 877 SIGN-NOW. 877-SIGN-NOW.

Curb Your Enthusiasm nod?

Some notes on Crochet from Brozdowski:

White Sox Garrett Crochet flashed a new cutter, he’s just not throwing it much. Through 2 dominant spring training outings, Crochet has thrown 53 pitches, 47 of which being his fastball and slider. His slider looks the same as last season. His fastball velo is up from 96.3 to 98.7 mph, shape is similar. FanGraphs Stuff+ had the four-seam at 104 last year. Should be 110+ if the velo sticks.

He’s thrown 2 cutters, each in the zone, and the shape looks fantastic. The pair of offerings averaged 94.4 mph with 7” induced vertical break and 2” glove-side movement. Comps well to Jose Alvarado’s cutter shape, which had a 107 Stuff+ last season. It’s fun to dream on this profile, but his success is going to hinge on strike-throwing across multiple innings if he’s going to start. He has a 69% strike rate (great) on his 36 fastballs against strong opponents. I want to see more cutter. 

This was posted before his latest outing, where he was mixing in the cutter more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Anyone else disappointed in Montgomery's showing at ST? Certainly didn't look like a top 10 prospect in the game. 

No, spring training doesn't mean anything for all we know they told him to take it easy and not hurt himself like he did last year to start off. 

I'll worry if he hurts his oblique again. We need  him to get that high minors experience this year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

A little surprised to see Speas optioned already. Seemed like he had a leg up on a rotation spot with already having a 40-man spot. 

Those 3 walks to start the 4th, yesterday, probably didn't help his case, any. Does a "minor league camp" assignment mean they still need to evaluate which level they're going to assign a player? I wonder if that means they could be contemplating Elko and Monty to AAA. But they're going to make Ramos play his way out of AA.

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Those 3 walks to start the 4th, yesterday, probably didn't help his case, any. Does a "minor league camp" assignment mean they still need to evaluate which level they're going to assign a player? I wonder if that means they could be contemplating Elko and Monty to AAA. But they're going to make Ramos play his way out of AA.

Optioned means they’re on the 40-man. But they’re all going to the minor league camp.

41 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Anyone else disappointed in Montgomery's showing at ST? Certainly didn't look like a top 10 prospect in the game. 

A: It's spring training.

B: He hasn't gotten regular PT in games.

C: Its freaking spring training.

22 minutes ago, flavum said:

Optioned means they’re on the 40-man. But they’re all going to the minor league camp.

Thanks. I knew what optioned meant, but was wondering the difference between minor league camp, and being assigned a level at this point. I would think they'd start Monty at AA, let him get his sea legs back, then move him to AAA when appropriate, then to the majors when Ozzie and Frank turn on DeJong. The hesitation makes me think they're still having the conversation. 

They have no 1B prospects, so Elko is it for now. 

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Charlotte looks to have more depth, especially after Montgomery, Ramos and others are promoted to AAA.

Colas won’t start here, but would like to see Sosa have a legitimate chance to play significant number of games as a reserve on the Sox.

Also nice they don’t have to rush guys, but hopefully they won’t be clinging to prioritizing veterans when young guys are in the active roster, which by and large hasn’t been the case this decade (Vaughn and I guess Madrigal when he was not injured the primary exceptions).

46 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Colas won’t start here, but would like to see Sosa have a legitimate chance to play significant number of games as a reserve on the Sox.

I'm wondering if Sosa is starting regularly in the B games. And if they're giving him OF reps out of the spotlight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

What about Crochet? Innings per year (counting college, minors and MLB):

2018: 63.2 (all college)

2019: 65 (all college)

2020: 9.1

2021: 54.1

2022: 0

2023: 25 (split basically even between MiLB and MLB)

In total: 217.1 IP over 6 years.

Edited by Bob Sacamano