ST Thread

pcq

13 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

I suspect this will be made official just after midnight on Friday.

They just lost Eduardo Rodriguez to a left lat strain so this makes some sense.

The option vests if Montgomery starts at least 10 games during the 2024 season. 

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm 60 years old, have cancer, see my and my wife's families sporadically due to COVID concerns, and try to find happiness where I can eke it out. My personality isn't defined by a baseball team winning or not. 

I like baseball, I like the White Sox, and I'm interested in whether Getz, Banny and Katz can whip this group into an actual, productive pitching staff. That's what I get out of it. 

I hope the Sox can bring you much joy this summer, and that things go well with your treatment.  Prayers up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

32 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I hope the Sox can bring you much joy this summer, and that things go well with your treatment.  Prayers up. 

Likewise - echo the same and wish you all the best as you fight such a shitty disease!!! 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

They just lost Eduardo Rodriguez to a left lat strain so this makes some sense.

The option vests if Montgomery starts at least 10 games during the 2024 season. 

A 2 year $50 million deal for Monty is about as good as it gets. s%*#, where were all these contracts when the Sox were competitive? This Monty deal is right up JR's alley. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Likewise - echo the same and wish you all the best as you fight such a shitty disease!!! 

Thank you. Just to be clear, no treatment, I have Non-Hodgkin's, which isn't curable, but it's slow growth, and I'll most likely die of something else in 20-30 years. After my initial chemo 15 years ago, and radiation for a new tumor 3 years ago, it's just treated like a chronic condition. I get regular check-ups and scans, and COVID vaccinations every 2 months. I do have to be careful, as Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma is cancer of the immune system. 

But again, thank you for the well wishes. Watch out for night sweats, enduring cold/flu symptoms, or excessive fatigue. And if your 40, get a damned stress test, already. Medicine is your friend. Use it. 

Thanks. 

/soapbox

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

They don’t need to do this, as he merely needs to avoid being on the Opening Day active roster to avoid the QO tag next offseason.

The Diamondbacks are planning to keep him training for a few weeks before activating in the second half of April.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/diamondbacks-to-sign-jordan-montgomery.html

The terms to vest the players option, assuming he would want to exercise at year end, is 10 starts ($20M vested), with an additional $2.5M vested at 18 and 23 starts.

I’m glad the asshole Yankees wimped out. While I’m typically critical of MLB owners, kudos to Arizona ownership for getting this done.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

So what does being overly optimistic about the rotation, for example, do for you?  I don’t need a crystal ball to tell me that the rotation is not going to be good and another poster spelled it all out on the previous page.  Is it better to have high hopes and then be disappointed?  I believe you predicted 68 wins for this team.  That is a bad record.  Chances are if their record is that bad, the rotation will not have performed well like you expected it to.

It is possible to have higher hopes while still objectively knowing the Sox will still be pretty bad.

I hope Fedde and Soroka pitch well enough in the 1st half to get some prospects at the deadline.

I hope Crochet stays healthy. Same for Kopech and that he can find some command and get back in the starting rotation.

I hope they find some hidden gem relief pitchers and trade the ones who we don't have a lot of years of control.

I hope every single position player does better than expected and then they get traded.

I hope a lot of the youngsters on the 40 and in the lower minors have tremendous seasons.

I realize the team overall doesn't have nearly enough talent to avoid 90+ losses but if some of the hopes comes to fruition then it's a positive step forward that I hope JR doesn't automatically squash with whatever is up his sleeve,

He is the biggest obstacle by far and where my hopes diminish .

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

20 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

JR couldn't afford this even after shedding around 20M from cease and the eventual 20M saved from moncada and maybe 30M from eloy. he's too poor:(

Being the worst team in the league and drafting 10th is going to feel so good

• Paper Bag 1

...And this is the third time that Canaan Smith-Njigba has passed through waivers, and 8 teams with worse 2023 records than the Pirates have passed on him. I have previously said that Fangraphs doesn't seem to like him, and suggested he may eventually wind up in Korea. Oh well. Another spring crush romance dies...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/pirates-outright-canaan-smith-njigba-ali-sanchez.html

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

...And this is the third time that Canaan Smith-Njigba has passed through waivers, and 8 teams with worse 2023 records than the Pirates have passed on him. I have previously said that Fangraphs doesn't seem to like him, and suggested he may eventually wind up in Korea. Oh well. Another spring crush romance dies...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/pirates-outright-canaan-smith-njigba-ali-sanchez.html

The cost would’ve been a 40-man roster spot over several mediocre to bad pitchers that likely won’t be around for much longer for a 24 year old lefty outfielder prospect that would look good in Charlotte considering Colas may be nearing bust territory and Fletcher looks like garbage thus far.  Most teams have their rosters set this early in the season and can’t afford to make a waiver claim anyways because they don’t want to drop anyone from their 40-man.  If he busts, who cares?  He wouldn’t have cost a Christian Mena.

You mention him playing in Korea yet you have high hopes for our starting pitcher who has always been terrible in the MLB but whose one good season was in Korea?  How ironic.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

The cost would’ve been a 40-man roster spot over several mediocre to bad pitchers that likely won’t be around for much longer for a 24 year old lefty outfielder.

Yet you have high hopes for our starting pitcher who has always been terrible in the MLB but whose one good season was in Korea?

I'm not sure where you're going with this. You're saying they should have cut Fedde for Smith-Njigba? I'm not sure how Fedde, a starting pitcher, enters the conversation about a AAA outfielder. I think the White Sox position is that they're more comfortable with DeLoach, Colas and Fletcher than cutting one of 3 AAA relievers for Njigba, although I think Jared Schuster would pass through waivers pretty easily.

I think it's more an issue that the 8 worst record teams from last year don't like S-N, rather than 8 front offices being really stupid. I share your interest in him. I'm not quite ready to elevate him to mythical ballplayer status, yet. 

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm not sure where you're going with this. You're saying they should have cut Fedde for Smith-Njigba? I'm not sure how Fedde, a starting pitcher, enters the conversation about a AAA outfielder. I think the White Sox position is that they're more comfortable with DeLoach, Colas and Fletcher than cutting one of 3 AAA relievers for Njigba, although I think Jared Schuster would pass through waivers pretty easily.

I think it's more an issue that the 8 worst record teams from last year don't like S-N, rather than 8 front offices being really stupid. I share your interest in him. I'm not quite ready to elevate him to mythical ballplayer status, yet. 

No, not Fedde.  There were a few older pitchers on the roster that I would’ve dropped before they got injured and are now on the IR.  Scholtens comes to mind.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

6 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Sooooo. Clevinger incoming?

I get this is all just speculation, but am I wrong to think if no one wants to sign him, no one will want to trade for him at the deadline?

And if you can’t flip him, I don’t see any reason to sign him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I get this is all just speculation, but am I wrong to think if no one wants to sign him, no one will want to trade for him at the deadline?

No one would take him last year either. You’re precisely correct.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Snopek said:

No, you’re not wrong.

• Like 1