Mlb.com Sox projected lineup and rotation is out

caulfield12

WHITE SOX

Lineup:

This group should be much better defensively, but the question remains as to how much they can produce together with the bats. Robert Jr. is one of the best all-around players in the game, and Moncada, Jiménez and Vaughn have the talent for strong years.

Rotation:

There’s plenty of starting depth within the White Sox system, as young hurlers such as Nick Nastrini and Jake Eder aren’t far from Major League action. Garrett Crochet will be viewed as a starter for ‘24, but with 73 innings total on his resume, the left-hander might have to go to Triple-A Charlotte to build up for that new role. It’s also a big season for Kopech as part of the rotation.

https://www.mlb.com/news/projected-lineups-rotations-for-every-2024-mlb-team

Edited by caulfield12

Lineup:

If Holliday (MLB Pipeline’s No. 1 overall prospect) makes the team -- a “very strong possibility,” per GM Mike Elias -- then the 20-year-old could see a good bit of time at second. If he doesn’t, Westburg could play more second and versatile infielder Ramón Urías would get more starts.

Btw, Ortiz (2B) and DJ Hall (5th spot) both starting for MIL.

Basallo, Mayo, Cowser, Kjerstad…that’s still quite the depth chart.  Along with Bradfield, everything well timed for the next wave to eventually replace those five vets in the lineup.

Didn't realize Fletcher had nearly an 840 Milb ops with over 200 RBI's and 40ish homers.

That and he went to the same school as Benintendi...Arkansas.

Only two years from overlapping even though it seems Benintendi has been around forever and a day...so they/Getz (or another former Royals' staffer) definitely would have touched base with him on the acquisition regarding his character, work habits, etc.

Obviously Barfield and his asst as well were quote familiar with him.

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

WHITE SOX

Lineup:

This group should be much better defensively, but the question remains as to how much they can produce together with the bats. Robert Jr. is one of the best all-around players in the game, and Moncada, Jiménez and Vaughn have the talent for strong years.

Rotation:

There’s plenty of starting depth within the White Sox system, as young hurlers such as Nick Nastrini and Jake Eder aren’t far from Major League action. Garrett Crochet will be viewed as a starter for ‘24, but with 73 innings total on his resume, the left-hander might have to go to Triple-A Charlotte to build up for that new role. It’s also a big season for Kopech as part of the rotation.

https://www.mlb.com/news/projected-lineups-rotations-for-every-2024-mlb-team

At first glance, the line up doesn't look half bad, then you realize, Beni10d is a punch and judy guy now, Moncada and Eloy are sure to get hurt, Vaughn usually spends half the season sucking, Fletcher has a little more than 100 career ABs, and Lopez, DeJong and Maldonado cannot hit.  I wouldn't throw Robert a strike until the others show they can put runs on the board.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2024’s 1-7-8-9 definitely the equivalent of Royce Clayton and Mark Johnson…

That’s a lot of pressure on Fletcher, but, then again, nobody really is going to care all that much about this season’s Sox results other than the net from the Cease trade and any other deadline deals.

15 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think I would start the season with:

Benintendi

Robert

Moncada

Eloy

Vaughn

Fletcher (at least to start, maybe swap with Benintendi eventually)

DeJong

Lopez

Maldonado/Stassi

Moncada never fairs well in the 3 spot if memory serves. But with so few good options it probably doesn’t much matter how they are lined up. Bad rearranged is still bad. 

8 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Moncada never fairs well in the 3 spot if memory serves. But with so few good options it probably doesn’t much matter how they are lined up. Bad rearranged is still bad. 

I’m just assuming we will get the motivated version who maybe hits better than previous seasons

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I’m just assuming we will get the motivated version who maybe hits better than previous seasons

A healthy and motivated Moncada could do wonders for this mess of a lineup. Here’s to hoping. 

55 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Fletcher (at least to start, maybe swap with Benintendi eventually)

Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

If all goes well, and the Sox get several bounce-backs (from the group of Moncada, Eloy, Benintendi, Cease, Kopech, Crochet, Soroka) and competence from Fletcher and improvement from Vaughn, and some approximation of a decent pen, the team could win 75-80.  If they don't get any, 60 or less.

Good lord that rotation and end of the lineup are awful. There are at least 4-5 guys on there who are likley to be on independent league rosters this time next year.  The starting rotation desperately needs a left handed starter. Hopefully that Eder kid they got for Burger is ready soon. 

No wonder Jerry is out there dangling the new Sox stadium idea. Nobody except a few hundred diehard Sox fans are even going to be talking about White Sox baseball come Memorial Day. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Good lord that rotation and end of the lineup are awful. There are at least 4-5 guys on there who are likley to be on independent league rosters this time next year.  The starting rotation desperately needs a left handed starter. Hopefully that Eder kid they got for Burger is ready soon. 

No wonder Jerry is out there dangling the new Sox stadium idea. Nobody except a few hundred diehard Sox fans are even going to be talking about White Sox baseball come Memorial Day. 

Oh. Soxtalk will be talking about this team. Don't you worry. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

Historically this will be a slightly below average season with historically low expectations. I think they can avoid 100 losses.

They won't beat themselves and don't have anyone on the roster who has been arrested for that. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Lineup:

If Holliday (MLB Pipeline’s No. 1 overall prospect) makes the team -- a “very strong possibility,” per GM Mike Elias -- then the 20-year-old could see a good bit of time at second. If he doesn’t, Westburg could play more second and versatile infielder Ramón Urías would get more starts.

Btw, Ortiz (2B) and DJ Hall (5th spot) both starting for MIL.

Basallo, Mayo, Cowser, Kjerstad…that’s still quite the depth chart.  Along with Bradfield, everything well timed for the next wave to eventually replace those five vets in the lineup.

I moved back to IL from CA over the offseason and now no longer have a need for the MLB app to watch Sox games, but I just may need to keep it just to watch this squad.  Hopefully all the Baltimore trolls don't see this, but I'm pretty jealous of them right now.  

9 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

110 losses and the worst offense in the majors. 

On paper I'm struggling to see 100 home runs out of that entire starting lineup. We had 171 last year. Can we finish dead last this year? Even playing half our games at G-Rate? Maybe I can put some money on it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

This is probably our weakest 6-7-8-9 going into a season in a very long time,  However, this 6-7-8-9 is sort of the level we'd been playing with the last 3-4 years with all the injuries. 

Well luckily we'll be really healthy this year with all the durable guys we've got. Wait, that's not right.

• Haha 1

After three years of Gavin Sheets as your LH power bat you have Gavin Sheets again. At least Vaughn is one of their top RBI guys. 

Edited by pcq
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Didn't realize Fletcher had nearly an 840 Milb ops with over 200 RBI's and 40ish homers.

That and he went to the same school as Benintendi...Arkansas.

Only two years from overlapping even though it seems Benintendi has been around forever and a day...so they/Getz (or another former Royals' staffer) definitely would have touched base with him on the acquisition regarding his character, work habits, etc.

Obviously Barfield and his asst as well were quote familiar with him.

Good numbers are obviously better than bad but his last 674 at bats were in the inflated PCL.  I still have high hopes for him though.

28 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

This is probably our weakest 6-7-8-9 going into a season in a very long time,  However, this 6-7-8-9 is sort of the level we'd been playing with the last 3-4 years with all the injuries. 

That’s bottom of the order is about as putrid as it gets.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

On paper I'm struggling to see 100 home runs out of that entire starting lineup. We had 171 last year. Can we finish dead last this year? Even playing half our games at G-Rate? Maybe I can put some money on it.

Same. While the pitching staff might end up near tops in homers allowed. Even with a better defense on paper this team will struggle to outscore the opposition on a daily basis.