How to Draw Someone to the Ballpark 2024

Texsox

Don't even bother trying to get the generational fans. A quick read here will tell them the hardcore fans are staying away.

Promote the visitors, baseball as the All American game.  Add some giveaways for the kids. Fireworks, concerts, etc. 

I hope they can sell some tickets. 

32 minutes ago, wegner said:

Just Win, Baby.....hey, I'm serious, stop laughing 

Ok, never mind....more Dog Days???

Winning will bring back the true fans. 

They need hearse jumpers because the bandwagon is reserved for parades. 

• Like 1

Obviously putting a good product on the field is paramount.  More people will come to watch a good team that is in contention.

Outside of that, making it more affordable will draw more people.  Their 10-game packs are ridiculously priced and don't offer savings unless you choose to attend premium games like when they play the Cubs or Yankees.  Offer a true discount for the 10-game packages.  Parking - Make it cheaper on certain days, or make it cheaper if you enter earlier.  Concessions - Bring back $1 hot dog days, offer discounts on food and beverages through the first few innings.

I live in Joliet, and it's very easy for me to get to the park via Metra.  But I usually only go to one game a year.  Mainly because of the cost in relation to the payoff.  I might go to a a few more games if things were cheaper, but I'd be more apt to go to a few more games if I knew I'd be watching a potential playoff team.

• Fire 1

28 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

They only have one bobblehead giveaway this year. (Robert Jr) Have a Joe Jackson bobblehead giveaway and I would think it would be a tremendous success.

I might be in the minority, but I really don't care about bobbleheads.  I'd rather get a shirt, hat, jersey, or even a water bottle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Don't even bother trying to get the generational fans. A quick read here will tell them the hardcore fans are staying away.

Promote the visitors, baseball as the All American game.  Add some giveaways for the kids. Fireworks, concerts, etc. 

I hope they can sell some tickets. 

Depends on your definition of "ballpark."

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Winning will bring back the true fans. 

They need hearse jumpers because the bandwagon is reserved for parades. 

Winning solves all, it's really not a complicated solution. 

Tickets have gotten to a point where "going on a whim" or just to get out of the house isn't an option for most people, it's a bigger event, because of the cost and people plan for it. Even the historical parks like Wrigley and Fenway were not at capacity last year (Boston was a last place team and were 12th in attendance in 2023.) 

The White Sox were meanwhile were 24th. In 2006, they were 9th and averaged 36,000+ a game. They averaged 21,000 last year. 

For the White Sox specifically, it's been proven if you put a good product on the field, people will show up. In any other industry or business, that is the common standard. Make a good product = people use and continue to buy said product. Yet in sports, we're expected to continue to support a franchise that serves up a lackluster product on a very consistent basis. But because we're "fans" it's just what is expected. It's totally backwards, yet you still have some here that like to call Sox fans "impatient"  

• Like 2
  • Fire 3

I didn't go to one game last year purely because of the product on the field. If they were a winning club I would probably go to 4-6 games per year. This year I only plan on going to one game, and it's only because I want to celebrate my 30th birthday seeing a ballgame. Actually, I will be seeing the Cubs play in the afternoon against the Braves and the Sox play in the evening against the O's on the same day. I'm more excited to see the visiting teams than I am the Chicago teams lol.

And then I might go see a game when the Dodgers are in town, because, well, the Dodgers, but that's all I plan on doing this year in terms of seeing Sox games.

Edited by ScootsMcGoots
  • Paper Bag 1

Hear me out here, you know how nobody really uses physical media anymore? What if they had something like "CD and DVD demolition night"? Basically you'd encourage fans to bring in some old CDs and DVDs and then (this is where it gets good) blow them at some point during the game, maybe around the 7th inning or so after the fans have had a little time to get good and lathered up?

You could have someone collect the things earlier and then blow them up on the field. It's bound to draw a good crowd.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 2

42 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Hear me out here, you know how nobody really uses physical media anymore? What if they had something like "CD and DVD demolition night"? Basically you'd encourage fans to bring in some old CDs and DVDs and then (this is where it gets good) blow them at some point during the game, maybe around the 7th inning or so after the fans have had a little time to get good and lathered up?

You could have someone collect the things earlier and then blow them up on the field. It's bound to draw a good crowd.

This would turn into angry fans throwing CDs and DVDs at Sox players like ninja stars because the team is so bad.

• Like 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Just market Maldanado and DeJong hard. They, and Moustakis are playing for their careers much like guys like Rollins and Lawrie and Austin Jackson were years ago. People are sleeping. These guys are going to be great. 

"We're celebrating ethnic yts day at the park, today is Dutch heritage night, free tulip with every ticket! Next week is Greek night featuring $5 Gyros!"

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Just market Maldanado and DeJong hard. They, and Moustakis are playing for their careers much like guys like Rollins and Lawrie and Austin Jackson were years ago. People are sleeping. These guys are going to be great. 

Haha.  The proven Sox front office strategy, which has, never worked?