Grade the Cease trade

Grade the Cease trade  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Cease trade?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Incomplete/Other

I also give it a B. 

I think it was fair for both teams. I also think the Sox got pretty much what they needed with Cease leaving:  They got help for this season right now and one promising prospect and one very promising prospect for the future

9 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

This is fair.

C or C-.

I'm not impressed by Getz work and I have no clue why Harold is constantly praising him.

It doesn’t feel like a franchise altering move in either direction. Probably could and should have had a better return, but it’s not Tatis level bad by any means. Underwhelming but not terrible. I’m more disappointed by the lack of high end talent than anything, even though I do like the Zavala pickup. 

23 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I appreciate the “Incomplete/Other” option for dorks like me who can’t summon up the energy to have a strong opinion on players I know next to nothing about.

Yea, and also there are people that always insist you can only judge a trade a few years down the line. Well, you can do that too, but that's boring.

58 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Whoever gave this a D or F, especially the F, Why??

At this stage, a B or C grade would be reasonable. Would like to hear from the A, D and F voters.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'll go B I guess.

Thanks for setting this up. Can you change the settings to view what everyone voted? I know this is an option when you initially establish a poll, but not sure if you can change it mid-stream.

Full disclosure if you can't or decide not to, I voted B.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

At this stage, a B or C grade would be reasonable. Would like to hear from the A, D and F voters.

Thanks for setting this up. Can you change the settings to view what everyone voted? I know this is an option when you initially establish a poll, but not sure if you can change it mid-stream.

Full disclosure if you can't or decide not to, I voted B.

Don't think I can. I know that the first vote for a B was mine and then SS2K was the first C. After that no clue. 

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

This is fair.

C or C-.

I'm not impressed by Getz work and I have no clue why Harold is constantly praising him.

He hated Hahn and has been hyping Getz ever since he was rumored to be in line for the new GM spot.  I understand he likes Getz but it almost feels like he went so all in on Getz that he can’t change his tune now and has to claim that every move he makes is great one.  I can’t buy it if someone can’t admit that many of Getz’s dumpster diving acquisitions this offseason were an absolute joke.  I don’t buy the never-ending leadership benefits and “showing the young guys the right way to play” BS.  Most of these over-the-hill scrubs will be gone in a year.  Does their leadership magically stay with the team once they are gone?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He hated Hahn and has been hyping Getz ever since he was rumored to be in line for the new GM spot.  I understand he likes Getz but it almost feels like he went so all in on Getz that he can’t change his tune now and has to claim that every move he makes is great one.  I can’t buy it if someone can’t admit that many of Getz’s dumpster diving acquisitions this offseason were a joke.

Nah, f*** it. 

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I question whether Thorpe can pitch in MLB with his fastball velocity in the modern game. this isn't 1994, it's 2024. When was the last time you saw a pitcher like Brad Radke have success? 

Thorpe reminds me of Lance Broadway and Kyle McCulloch

I like his profile stats wise,  but it's a bit alarming the same franchise that went with Andrew Vaughn as slugging 5-10" (not even just height, but lack of overall explosion) 1B and Nick Madrigal as once a generation .380 BABIP guy also thinks this kid is a (relatively) undervalued commodity.  We don't do well with diamonds in the rough. Hell, we turn diamonds into coal quite often or sell it for .50 on the dollar too early. 

Edited by chitownsportsfan

15 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

There are currently 0 A voters to hear from. 

For reference I was in with C. Better than I thought it would be at this time but unimpressive compared to holding him.

B-/C+ for White Sox

A-/B+ for Padres   (fits perfectly within a limited budget and they don't have to give up any of their main farm assets...can continue to cut salaries/trade Cease if things continue to go south, so two years is really about the back end of their current "window" without re-initiating another rebuild behind Tatis, Jr. and their still Top 10ish farm system)

Needed to get either Head or DeVrieze to really tip the balance...also, let's see what, if anything, they can get for Steven Wilson at midseason.

Iriarte not being a reliever and Zavala sticking in CF are two of the obvious keys to consider.