3/18 Guardians @ Sox - Thorpe toes the rubber

1 hour ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

I personally love how ST performance has gone from entirely meaningless to career defining over the course of one half inning and about 10 posts in this thread.

I love gamethreads

9 minutes ago, flavum said:

I’m thinking Deivi Garcia makes the bullpen.

Hill, Banks, Kopech, Leasure, Brebbia, Wilson also in. Maybe Kuhl or Leone.

He definitely should.  He was good this Spring and was the Yankees #3 prospect in 2021.  He’s still only 24.

He’s the perfect example of the type of bullpen guy Getz should always be trying to acquire for next to nothing.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, flavum said:

Gotta hand it to Robinson and Lee…they’ve had excellent camps.

The only negative is that Lee is still striking out a lot.  33% this spring.  I’d have a lot more hope if he cut those down a bit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Exactly. Thorpe has barely made it to AA, he has 1 full season at high-A ball. He should be at AA at least until he's so dominant there that he earns a callup to AA, or otherwise for nearly the full season. If you want to talk to me next offseason about jumping him from AA to the big leagues, I probably still wont' like it and would argue for time at AAA, but that's at least feasible. 

I wouldn't care one bit about him having a bad start today, he's on a new team and mid-March is normal "Dead arm period" for pitchers as they ramp up. But we heard way too many versions of "calling Thorpe up based on his spring training" here and elsewhere online over the past few days, and shutting that down is fine by me. 

I don’t disagree with your core point, but I don’t think AAA experience is all that important for pitchers.  If he dominates AA for three months, then there is a real argument that he’s ready for the majors IMO.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t disagree with your core point, but I don’t think AAA experience is all that important for pitchers.  If he dominates AA for three months, then there is a real argument that he’s ready for the majors IMO.

I'm convincible by that, if it's actually clearly beating the league for 3 months. If he's u know putting up an ERA of like 4 this year, then spending some time at AAA next year won't be a mistake. 

Leaping from high A to the big leagues? Naw, at least make the jump to AA first and show me he can handle AA. He hasn't done this leap yet, skipping past it because he was having a good 15 innings in spring training? Naw, go to AA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm convincible by that, if it's actually clearly beating the league for 3 months. If he's u know putting up an ERA of like 4 this year, then spending some time at AAA next year won't be a mistake. 

Leaping from high A to the big leagues? Naw, at least make the jump to AA first and show me he can handle AA. He hasn't done this leap yet, skipping past it because he was having a good 15 innings in spring training? Naw, go to AA.

Here’s the issue for the Sox and AAA for anyone: Charlotte is such a joke that most of the numbers are entirely meaningless. You just do not know what you have. A guy can be getting killed there and still survive mlb (e.g. Davis Martin) but it can play with a guy’s head and discourage him from throwing strikes. For a guy like Thorpe whose Achilles Heel has been the long ball, not sure Charlotte is necessary or the best idea long term. The real stars are in AA anyway. I doubt Junior Caminero, Jackson Chourio, and Jackson Holliday are going to combine for 300 career at bats in AAA. You face a lot of Chuckie Robinson in an absolute band box. 

Just now, Timmy U said:

Here’s the issue for the Sox and AAA for anyone: Charlotte is such a joke that most of the numbers are entirely meaningless. You just do not know what you have. A guy can be getting killed there and still survive mlb (e.g. Davis Martin) but it can play with a guy’s head and discourage him from throwing strikes. For a guy like Thorpe whose Achilles Heel has been the long ball, not sure Charlotte is necessary or the best idea long term. The real stars are in AA anyway. I doubt Junior Caminero, Jackson Chourio, and Jackson Holliday are going to combine for 300 career at bats in AAA. You face a lot of Chuckie Robinson in an absolute band box. 

For a guy who doesn't rely on velocity and who has an issue with the long ball, there could be similar benefits to pitching in Charlotte. If those hitters push him to identify a couple things he needs to improve on, that could be important too.

But anyway, the important thing right now is actually to give him time at AA. I'm only bringing this up because people here and on twitter have been talking about bringing him north this year since he was performing well in his first 10 spring training innings. Let's put him at AA, see what he does there, and figure out the path.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Getz held strong for a long time though. Any credit for that?

Like Hahn's constantly mentioning of all the FA's he finished 2nd or 3rd with, lol...had the seat at the table, etc.

Won the AL Executive of the Year, so he can't possibly be THAT bad, can he?

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Like Hahn's constantly mentioning of all the FA's he finished 2nd or 3rd with, lol...had the seat at the table, etc.

Won the AL Executive of the Year, so he can't possibly be THAT bad, can he?

Hahn's greatest moment of lawyer speak was when he wasn't as bad as people make him out to be, but based on team performance wasn't as good enough to win Exec of the Year

Dude was like "remember when I got accolades? Clearly that means I'm not bad, but also, I'm not good."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Getz held strong for a long time though. Any credit for that?

I was roundly laughed at for suggesting Dominic Fletcher could hit in the bigs after 100 MLB plate appearances. I guess the joke is that the magic number is 34 spring training PA's. 

I don't know why Getz suggested that Thorpe could be major league ready. Maybe he is, and that comment freaked him out. But Getz has to understand that if he opens a press briefing with "good morning", that will be sardonicly referenced for months, because "how dare he call it a 'good' morning when Jerry Reinsdorf still owns this team, and I'm unhappy!!!"

The Cease trade was probably about as good as Getz was going to pry loose. There is a weird aura of collusion going on with the Snell and Montgomery FA campaigns, and GMs are all engaging in prospect-hugging. I believe the economics of the game dictate that nobody will be trading their top-10-in-the-game prospects for a while, now. I suppose, too, that baseball-gal and balta were right in suggesting that GM's wanted to wait to make sure Cease still had his ceiling intact.

But it was a strong return. I think the trick, going forward, is getting the 90-100 and 'barely missed' prospects who will be shooting into the top 50 with a bullet next year. Casual observers don't get to see "#12 MLB prospect" to inform them it was a good trade. 

• Like 1

“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is.” - Bob Feller

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is.” - Bob Feller

That is gosh darn inspirational

10 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

That is gosh darn inspirational

Bob Feller was something of a prick in real life (early teenage memory).  He had a pretty bad reputation at autograph shows of being fairly surly and resentful of the money that modern athletes were making...whereas he was forced to hock his signature all over the country to make ends meet. 

Another reason that Mickey Mantle autographs (featured at ST recently, lol) aren't nearly as valuable as one would expect...way too many of them out there.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Bob Feller was something of a prick in real life (early teenage memory).  He had a pretty bad reputation at autograph shows of being fairly surly and resentful of the money that modern athletes were making...whereas he was forced to hock his signature all over the country to make ends meet. 

Another reason that Mickey Mantle autographs (featured at ST recently, lol) aren't nearly as valuable as one would expect...way too many of them out there.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

When I met him at a signing he was kind to myself and hi8is Sr.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1