2024 White Sox Opening Day thread 3/28 3:10 first pitch vs Detroit

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I never thought he would immediately throw 6 innings on 87 pitches.  Impressive.  But this single start also may show how stupid the Sox were to make him a reliever right out of the gate.

It's a good think the people who made that decision aren't in the organization, anymore. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

He's really the first GM since Himes that inherited an absolute mess; and even that wasn't a mess like this mess (this is closer to what Roland Hemond inherited).

I do think that people would feel better if had he brought in a serious manager.

Roland Hemond did inherit a mess but through some shrewd moves was able to improve the Sox by 23 games in 1971 over the  1970 team that went 56-106. Getz has put a team on the field this year that will problem have  trouble winning the 61 games that last years team was able to achieve. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite

15 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Getz personally developed our opening day starter. The ones who had to tell everyone numerous times that Crochet was a glorified opener seem strangely silent about that, now. 

Getz didn't do a damned thing for Crochet.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Man, like last week you were saying that Getz bore no responsibility for prospects.

Either he gets full blame and fully credit or none

The joke of "what was his job before this...?" Was old the 1st time it was repeated. He had a job that didn't have 100% autonomy. Some of his suggestions were probably taken into account, and I'm sure others were ignored. 

In an MLB playoff game, I'd be excited for a 1-0 game.....in the regular season when the offense goes down in order in the 5th, 6th, 7th,8th and 9th, a 1-0 game is just frustrating

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Getz didn't do a damned thing for Crochet.  

Well, Crochet was taken off of his hands as soon as he was drafted. Getz probably mentored him on dominating the opposition all winter. It paid off. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, wegner said:

Seems like all sunshine and lollipops on the radio poatgame.... THIS OFFENSE SUCKS ASS CONNOR

It's Opening Day, let them be sunshine one day. It'll change to apathy soon enough. Not sure how Oz is going to comment after games on the postgame. I mean there's not much to say. Look at our lineup. Look at our assortment of pitchers. Yikes (albeit hats off to a nice job by the pitchers today; even pessimist greg can't deny one run allowed is dandy.

Edited by greg775

Just now, WestEddy said:

The joke of "what was his job before this...?" Was old the 1st time it was repeated. He had a job that didn't have 100% autonomy. Some of his suggestions were probably taken into account, and I'm sure others were ignored. 

Holy f*** this is almost verbatim what the Hahn Defense Force would say in his defense. Guess what, if he doesn't think his bosses are any good or are hamstringing him -- he's free to go work somewhere else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

I’ve been calling for moving Crochet to the starting rotation for years but crowing about one good start against a trash offense is also pretty funny.  Hopefully he stays healthy because he’s the only good arm the Sox have in the rotation. 

I think Soroka and or Fedde can possibly pitch well, my question with them is can either break 100 IP, and will they keep having to burn through prospects early like Nastrini (4 AAA starts) to just make it through the season.

They really should sign 1 or preferably 2 guys like Cueto, Hill, a few others, just to get 100 + innings in.

Seems like they went very light on the pitching depth, and very heavy fretting about a dozen horseshit guys (pretty much every position player) that they continue to add (Grossman).

44 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I don't feel bad for anybody willing to dish up $100+ to help pay for Jerry's next yacht

I would praise incessantly and be willing to send 10 bucks cash tip at the end of the season for anybody in soxtalk willing to count the actual fans at our games this year. It would be neat to get an actual attendance count. Not to be a jerk but I could envision under 1,000 fans being at a lot of our games. They'll never list a crowd under 15,000 on the official box. Think about it. Southsiders aren't dumb. They are not gonna show just to get a delicious corned beef sandwich. The amount of fans there will be count-able. Surely somebody in the age of analytics would tackle this challenge for us fans.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Holy f*** this is almost verbatim what the Hahn Defense Force would say in his defense. Guess what, if he doesn't think his bosses are any good or are hamstringing him -- he's free to go work somewhere else.

Jerry's not going to let him quit, not even on his deathbed. He made Kenny sit here with no chance at a President job for years, Hahn was rumored to want to quit as well.

Jerry loves keeping under his thumb on the planation, be it FO, players, jabbing Minor League players and keeping them in slum conditions eating 7/11, etc.

• Like 1