ESPN ranks Sox 29th in watchability

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39853186/mlb-2024-rankings-most-fun-teams-watch-braves-orioles-dodgers-cubs

cws.png&h=60&w=60

29. Chicago White Sox(12)

Star power: 2 | Youth: 1 | Baserunning: 2 | Catches: 3 | 425+: 2 | Minutiae: 1

Bonus: 1, for the new "campfire milkshake" concession item

I'm pretty sure Luis Robert Jr. accounts for most of these points, from 4-star catches to speed on the bases to long home runs. The White Sox have done a nice job improving what was a weak farm system just a couple of years ago, but only Colson Montgomery is likely to make much of a contribution this season, so this rebuild is filled with older players. Unfortunately, "veteran leadership" does not score well in watchability.

And looks like only the campfire milkshake kept us from being dead last. Way to go Jerry.

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

That's great, because I rank ESPN as zero for watchability. Maybe they should fire everyone, and just use AI to randomly generate content. 

Bold of you to think this listicle wasn't written by an AI. Actually, I'm sure it was. ESPN publishes a bunch of these 'lists' that involve the author doing a little bit of math and creating an index in order to arrive at the rankings. They're stupid rankings and another pointless iteration of a story we've read 1000 times (the Sox suck), yet something tells me the average ESPN writer isn't doing any amount of math and is instead asking his chatbot "create an index ranking how fun to watch the MLB teams are'.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39853186/mlb-2024-rankings-most-fun-teams-watch-braves-orioles-dodgers-cubs

cws.png&h=60&w=60

29. Chicago White Sox(12)

Star power: 2 | Youth: 1 | Baserunning: 2 | Catches: 3 | 425+: 2 | Minutiae: 1

Bonus: 1, for the new "campfire milkshake" concession item

I'm pretty sure Luis Robert Jr. accounts for most of these points, from 4-star catches to speed on the bases to long home runs. The White Sox have done a nice job improving what was a weak farm system just a couple of years ago, but only Colson Montgomery is likely to make much of a contribution this season, so this rebuild is filled with older players. Unfortunately, "veteran leadership" does not score well in watchability.

And looks like only the campfire milkshake kept us from being dead last. Way to go Jerry.

I'm suppose to take this information from ESPN and do what with it? After all ESPN, forgot that the Sox won the World Series in 2005 not once but twice.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/10/24/16539600/world-series-white-sox-espn-really-again

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sin city sox fan said:

We did gat a bonus point for the milkshake though.   At least this organization did one thing to improve in the offseason.

Typically the game day experience at the park is top notch.  It's the games themselves that suck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

That's great, because I rank ESPN as zero for watchability. Maybe they should fire everyone, and just use AI to randomly generate content. 

True. Their broadcasts are horrible.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I mean, ESPN sucks, but this is certainly not controversial. This team is pretty much unwatchable. 

Stick around for innings the Sox are pitching.

Grab a new beer, check the grill, and take a bathroom break when they are at the plate, but you only have enough time to do one of these three things when they are batting striking out.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1

What's absolutely wild to think about is that the White Sox pitching has FAR exceeded any possible expectations for this unit at the start... and I doubt there's much sustainability there beyond Crochet/Fedde, and the team is still absolutely terrible. Now they lose Robert. The bottom is low!

• Like 1

It really sucks that we need to wait for someone (JR) to pass away for any of this to change.

I don’t want to hope for something like that. It feels terrible to give in to thoughts like that. But he won’t sell the team and he obviously won’t do the things necessary to turn the franchise around, so it’s the only way we will ever have a respectable organization again.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

It really sucks that we need to wait for someone (JR) to pass away for any of this to change.

I don’t want to hope for something like that. It feels terrible to give in to thoughts like that. But he won’t sell the team and he obviously won’t do the things necessary to turn the franchise around, so it’s the only way we will ever have a respectable organization again.

I’d rather spend the public money on paying for his capital gains so he can sell the team now, as long as no public money is used on the construction of the new stadium for the next ownership group.

the sale money gets put into a trust so JR doesn’t get a cent of it - only his kids when he dies.