Luis Robert right hip flexor injury

14 hours ago, ron883 said:

There goes his trade value. 

Trade and value are oxymorons in the Sox kingdom.  Fans have hope there are some naive GMS out there but unfortunately these seem to reside more in a certain organization we are familiar with.

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'm afraid the 145 games he played last year is an outlier. Anyone who said they should have made him available last offseason is right.

Agreed. In most cases, it’s not normal to assume a young position player is going to miss significant time year after year. Unfortunately, we have a few guys like that. Part of the equation of his trade value is health, and teams know that. When he gets healthy, and teams may be able to acquire a difference making CF for a postseason run, the Sox should listen. Probably not in July, but maybe December. 

On 4/7/2024 at 10:56 AM, JoeC said:

The optimist in me thinks they’ve identified a flaw in his swing they’re trying to get him to correct.

realistically, it’s probably just personal.

I’d say the flaw explanation is the more realistic option. This is only the beginning of his third year

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 9:52 AM, baseball_gal_aly said:

They don't like him. I don't think there's anything he can do to get called up. I'm shocked that he hasn't been DFA yet. 

Would not surprise me if they would rather have Pham out there. 

If they're not willing to call him up, then yes they need to go ahead and trade/DFA him and free up the roster spot.

• Haha 1

I just hope he comes back and is healthy the rest of the season and mashes.  If he does - than I think you think about trading him in the off-season and if not that than you hope he continues healthy next season up until the break and you trade him than.  

Its sad - cause he is a special talent and player - but this team has to get rid of its best players cause the entire foundation was blown to smitharines.  They also pretty much need to operate more like a Oakland/Tampa with the way they manage long-term contracts and payrolls - and get to the point where they aren't loyal to players and really are always focused on maximizing returns, even if it is a year early vs. late and rely on development programs etc.

The bad part is - they have shown no ability to develop anyone but I'll at least give the new regime (given there were a # of outside hires) time to show me one way or the other.

But I see a scenario where the White Sox for the next 30 years are like the Pirates post Bonds/Van Slyke.  At least if this current ownership regime remains.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/7/2024 at 9:52 AM, baseball_gal_aly said:

They don't like him. I don't think there's anything he can do to get called up. I'm shocked that he hasn't been DFA yet. 

Would not surprise me if they would rather have Pham out there. 

DFAing Oscar would be insane.  He still has an option again in 25!! I've said it before, and I will say it again to these bonehead takes - Sox don't have to make any real decisions on Oscar until ST 2026.  That is 23.5 months away!  Me thinks Oscar will force the issue well before that, and will eventually become a regular here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I just hope he comes back and is healthy the rest of the season and mashes.  If he does - than I think you think about trading him in the off-season and if not that than you hope he continues healthy next season up until the break and you trade him than.  

Its sad - cause he is a special talent and player - but this team has to get rid of its best players cause the entire foundation was blown to smitharines.  They also pretty much need to operate more like a Oakland/Tampa with the way they manage long-term contracts and payrolls - and get to the point where they aren't loyal to players and really are always focused on maximizing returns, even if it is a year early vs. late and rely on development programs etc.

The bad part is - they have shown no ability to develop anyone but I'll at least give the new regime (given there were a # of outside hires) time to show me one way or the other.

But I see a scenario where the White Sox for the next 30 years are like the Pirates post Bonds/Van Slyke.  At least if this current ownership regime remains.  

you're not gonna get an elite return for Robert, he's hurt too much and makes too much money now

this past offseason was the time to trade him

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

DFAing Oscar would be insane.  He still has an option again in 25!! I've said it before, and I will say it again to these bonehead takes - Sox don't have to make any real decisions on Oscar until ST 2026.  That is 23.5 months away!  Me thinks Oscar will force the issue well before that, and will eventually become a regular here. 

With Robert out for 6-8 weeks, wouldn’t you say it would make sense to call Colas up now?

Platoon Fletcher and Pillar in CF and Colas and Grossman in RF.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

I would think Robert and Eloy are dead to the baseball world outside Chicago right now. They are non factors cause they get hurt so much. Teams will not want either of those guys cause of injuries now and in the future.

Except for the piles of money they make it must suck being Robert and Eloy. All they do is get hurt then have to rehab. Man all that rehab time. Must be so boring. Day after day rehab. Then get the injury fixed and after a week have to start over in rehab again after getting reinjured.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I would think Robert and Eloy are dead to the baseball world outside Chicago right now. They are non factors cause they get hurt so much. Teams will not want either of those guys cause of injuries now and in the future.

Except for the piles of money they make it must suck being Robert and Eloy. All they do is get hurt then have to rehab. Man all that rehab time. Must be so boring. Day after day rehab. Then get the injury fixed and after a week have to start over in rehab again after getting reinjured.

and Robert always ends up with severe injuries, these aren't bumps and bruises either

Robert's contract makes him very desirable, after 2024 he still has 3 years of control.

2025 - $15M

2026- $20M

2027- $20M

He will be a future $300M player just not on the White Sox. Reinsdorf will not pay the money to keep him. 

Edited by Falstaff
typo

I'm going to ask the question: 

Did Getz f*** up by not trading Robert this winter? 

I know none of us wanted to trade him this winter at the prices that were being floated around, but now what are they getting? Anything at all? For all we know he might end up in a Moncada situation next year and his option isn't going to get picked up. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I'm going to ask the question: 

Did Getz f*** up by not trading Robert this winter? 

I know none of us wanted to trade him this winter at the prices that were being floated around, but now what are they getting? Anything at all? For all we know he might end up in a Moncada situation next year and his option isn't going to get picked up. 

Lol... come on.  Did I miss news where this is career ending injury? 

If it keeps happening, sure.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Lol... come on.  Did I miss news where this is career ending injury? 

If it keeps happening, sure.  

Well the same injury has happened to the same area twice now. Different degree but the same type injury, that does say something. 

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Well the same injury has happened to the same area twice now. Different degree but the same type injury, that does say something. 

I do think the Sox should strongly consider trading Robert once he is healthy and performing well.  Does anyone really think he will still be around by the time the rest of the team is good enough?  Sell him high with years of control.

25 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

No, but if he gets injured again.......

Ho-hum. 

In other news, Cristian Mena pitched last Friday against the Sacramento River Cats. Nice outing. Went 6 innings, 81 pitches, and threw one pitch that touched 94. Had about half a dozen at 93.5. 91-92 the rest of the outing. Still no "jump to the mid-90's" some people talked about. 

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Ho-hum. 

In other news, Cristian Mena pitched last Friday against the Sacramento River Cats. Nice outing. Went 6 innings, 81 pitches, and threw one pitch that touched 94. Had about half a dozen at 93.5. 91-92 the rest of the outing. Still no "jump to the mid-90's" some people talked about. 

That also doesn’t make Fletcher’s .231 AVG and .679 OPS look any better, nor his questionable defense.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I do think the Sox should strongly consider trading Robert once he is healthy and performing well.  Does anyone really think he will still be around by the time the rest of the team is good enough?  Sell him high with years of control.

But in all seriousness with his injury record what would 'sell him high' actually bring in? Many on here valued Cease a lot higher than he eventually went for, and Robert has shown All Star abilities but equally has missed a lot of games each season, with the exception of 2023. Is his value to other teams damaged by his injury record?

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

That also doesn’t make Fletcher’s .231 AVG and .679 OPS look any better, nor his questionable defense.

Who said it did? Are you so brain damaged that you have constant White Sox arguments going on in your head and you can't separate them? Fletcher's 5 hits in the last 5 games do make his own case better. 

You do understand that posting evidence (key word) of a pitcher not "immediately jumping into" the mid-90s has nothing to do with a hitter's stats from another organization, right?

9 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Who said it did? Are you so brain damaged that you have constant White Sox arguments going on in your head and you can't separate them? Fletcher's 5 hits in the last 5 games do make his own case better. 

You do understand that posting evidence (key word) of a pitcher not "immediately jumping into" the mid-90s has nothing to do with a hitter's stats from another organization, right?

You randomly brought up Mena’s most recent pitching performance in a thread about Robert’s injury, but I am the brain damaged one?

You really need to start controlling your personal attacks.  Just because the Sox are terrible and most of Getz’s acquisitions that you hyped and fluffed up are proving to be terrible, doesn’t mean you have to take your frustrations out on other posters.

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

You randomly brought up Mena’s most recent pitching performance in a thread about Robert’s injury, but I am the brain damaged one?

You really need to start controlling your personal attacks.  Just because the Sox are terrible and most of Getz’s acquisitions that you hyped and fluffed up are proving to be terrible, doesn’t mean you have to take your frustrations out on other posters.

U funny. 

I think you should look up the definitions of "hyped" and "fluffed". I said the bullpen and rotation could be good. So far, they have not embarrassed. I think I also said Fletcher had a ceiling of a 3-bWAR RF, and I haven't seen anything to really disprove that. 

Understanding a GM's stated reasoning, and waiting for it to play out isn't "complete support". The fact that you can't separate the two really gives you no room to lecture others. 

• TLR 1

Get Luis healthy and playing at a high level again and then TRADE him for the best package you can get.

I love Luis as a player but he will never be healthy.  Last year was an outlier.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1