Sox trade Horn to Red Sox for $

ChiSox59

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Making excuses to Getz dumping guys for nothing he couldn't develop in his former role is a choice.

Can't fail at developing prospects if you get rid of them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 4OCS said:

What does cash considerations even mean? 

It is a trade that takes place for a minimal amount of cash.  Anything over one million dollars has to go to the commish's office for approval, so it is automatically less than that.  Typically it is a very small amount just so that they can call it a "trade", maybe in the thousands, but as low as literally a dollar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So we now have two older prospects who Sox scouts viewed as ready for the big leagues already discarded a month later.

Inspiring. 

• Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

So we now have two older prospects who Sox scouts viewed as ready for the big leagues already discarded a month later.

Inspiring. 

We traded someone who wasn't on our 40-man to help another team's 40-man crunch. What a waste.

Matthew Thompson will probably be nothing but still.

18 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

We traded someone who wasn't on our 40-man to help another team's 40-man crunch. What a waste.

Matthew Thompson will probably be nothing but still.

A 23 year old SP prospect, ya know, the kind of player a rebuilding team should be hoarding not discarding.

Thompson: 2.77 ERA in AA currently.

Horn: Given away for practically nothing one month into the season after putting up an 11 ERA in AAA.

Mena: 4.03 ERA in AAA currently.

Fletcher: Demoted one month into the season after being unable to play defense or hit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

A 23 year old SP prospect, ya know, the kind of player a rebuilding team should be hoarding not discarding.

Horn: Given away for practically nothing one month into the season after putting up an 11 ERA in AAA.

Fletcher: Demoted one month into the season after being unable to play defense or hit.

White Sox: 23rd oldest average age in baseball, oldest in division.

5 minutes ago, T R U said:

All to get 35 year old veterans on the team so we can win 55 games instead of 50 this year, and still pick 10th.

49 minutes ago, bmags said:

Inspiring. 

and we traded a 21 year old SP for an older prospect who has been demoted within a month.. Gotta love it,

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

All to get 35 year old veterans on the team so we can win 55 games instead of 50 this year, and still pick 10th.

The only thing that makes sense to me is Getz actually believed the moves he made this off-season would have this team competitive this year in the division. As soon as the season started off as bad as it possibly could, he pivoted to "rebuilding".

They never once talked about rebuilding in the off-season, they flat out said they weren't going to do that and they believed they could compete now. The Mena trade aligns with that, the Thompson trade aligns with that. Moves made to help the MLB roster now.

I honestly believe that now, he really thought that signing some washed defensive players would turn this around over night.

14 hours ago, Quin said:

Ok, I can't remember. Was Matthew Thompson on the 40-man roster?

Cause if not, it means we ultimately gave up a starting pitching prospect — who is of course now putting up better numbers with the Cubs AA team (yes, SSS) — for cash.

I am certainly not in support of how Getz has managed the roster, but Thompson still sucks.  1.4 WHIP and 7.2 BB/9 (SSS, but highest of career) just isn't going to play.  Guy can't throw a strike to save his life. 

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I am certainly not in support of how Getz has managed the roster, but Thompson still sucks.  1.4 WHIP and 7.2 BB/9 (SSS, but highest of career) just isn't going to play.  Guy can't throw a strike to save his life. 

I would still rather have him on our AA or AAA roster as opposed to cash considerations though.

7 minutes ago, T R U said:

The only thing that makes sense to me is Getz actually believed the moves he made this off-season would have this team competitive this year in the division. As soon as the season started off as bad as it possibly could, he pivoted to "rebuilding".

They never once talked about rebuilding in the off-season, they flat out said they weren't going to do that and they believed they could compete now. The Mena trade aligns with that, the Thompson trade aligns with that. Moves made to help the MLB roster now.

I honestly believe that now, he really thought that signing some washed defensive players would turn this around over night.

Only a complete moron didn't know we were going to rebuild.  They didn't say it out loud, but it is happening and always was.  I can believe they were aiming more in the 90 loss range than the 140 loss range, and panicked once it happened, but they knew the future was not 2024.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Only a complete moron didn't know we were going to rebuild.  They didn't say it out loud, but it is happening and always was.  I can believe they were aiming more in the 90 loss range than the 140 loss range, and panicked once it happened, but they knew the future was not 2024.

Of course, 95% of us knew this. I still believe that Getz thought the roster he put together would be WAY closer than what has happened so far.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, T R U said:

Matt Thompson really isn't a "prospect". With Thorpe, Iriarte, Bush, Eder and Adams in the AA rotation, which one do you bump to get Thompson starts? Thompson, if he stayed with the Sox, was probably bullpen fodder to see if he could throw strikes in shorter outings. 

The Sox are hoarding that kind of player. 

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Matt Thompson really isn't a "prospect". With Thorpe, Iriarte, Bush, Eder and Adams in the AA rotation, which one do you bump to get Thompson starts? Thompson, if he stayed with the Sox, was probably bullpen fodder to see if he could throw strikes in shorter outings. 

He's for sure a prospect, not a top one, but a prospect none the less.

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Then have him get starts in AAA over worthless arms like Kuhl or Woodford who have zero chance of ever being part of a decent team, let alone a White Sox team capable of competing.  Our AAA pitching staff is full of worthless garbage.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Look I have no problem with the idea that you can deal Thompson if you using all of that internal knowledge, feel like you can't get out of him what you need to turn him into something.  What I have a problem with is turning him into literally nothing.  Nothing.  Because you do need to be hording future pieces, and not 35 year old OFs.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Man, 55 wins is optimistic. Sox would have to win more than six games per month to accomplish that feat.