Ramos getting called up

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

But he hasn’t proved he’s ready… so why start the clock

Yep, that doesn’t make sense.  You don’t arbitrarily call someone up in a season if the player doesn’t appear ready for the majors.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep, that doesn’t make sense.  You don’t arbitrarily call someone up in a season if the player doesn’t appear ready for the majors.

The other thing I found interesting is just yesterday "Dr." Grifol said Mendick's back tightness would just be for a day or two, be safe with him.

24 hours later he's on the 10 day IL...😆

Doesn't matter in the long run this year but just appears to be another level of incompetence and people in the department not communicating with each other.  

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You don’t arbitrarily call someone up in a season if the player doesn’t appear ready for the majors.

You don’t.

But the Sox do.

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

He is not ready to play at MLB level period!

You can tell he needs a lot of work based on his rundown decision with Goldschmidt. He fits right in fundamental-wise with the rest of the buffoons. 

1 hour ago, Soxfest said:

He is not ready to play at MLB level period!

You can't tell that from one play in his first game.  Probably did have some nerves. Give a full game tomorrow, and then get back to me.

• Like 1

Brett Phillips given his release. Had a 47% K rate at Charlotte. Another historically bad hitter sighed by Getz. Not even AAA worthy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

Definitely not a fan of bringing Ramos up right now, but I have to wonder what's going on with Sosa and Colas for the Sox to give up on them.

Sosa is on the AAA IL as of a couple days ago

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Definitely not a fan of bringing Ramos up right now, but I have to wonder what's going on with Sosa and Colas for the Sox to give up on them.

Colas seems to have done something to piss off folks in the front office/management that's for sure.

Granted I think the guy is as "baseball-stupid" as the rest of them but it seems pretty clear he's being railroaded and not getting a lot of chances. 

• Thanks 1

Ramos might be OK. He's the White Sox anti prospect. Takes walks, hits a few taters, plays good defense.

He's the same age as Montgomery, and has been a little better at AA. Slow start this year, but some times

s@#t happens. Maybe had a nagging injury or something.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pcq said:

Brett Phillips given his release. Had a 47% K rate at Charlotte. Another historically bad hitter sighed by Getz. Not even AAA worthy. 

Yep, and this dude actually got playing time with the Sox rather than just being AAA fodder.

On 5/5/2024 at 3:27 AM, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep, and this dude actually got playing time with the Sox rather than just being AAA fodder.

Brett Phillips did not play for the Sox. 

On 5/4/2024 at 10:07 PM, pcq said:

Great guy, great fielder but he can’t hit a lick, I’m surprised he lasted this long, when the White Sox let you go, it’s over.

On 5/4/2024 at 2:08 PM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

But he hasn’t proved he’s ready… so why start the clock

He was already on the 40 man, so he's already burned an option year no matter what. Two weeks of service time is very unlikely to have salary impact down the road.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

He was already on the 40 man, so he's already burned an option year no matter what. Two weeks of service time is very unlikely to have salary impact down the road.

Yeah he'll probably be back down quick and potentially backup depending on what happens later with Moncada.

40 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

You sure about that? I thought an option was only employed when a player is demoted from the active roster

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

You sure about that? I thought an option was only employed when a player is demoted from the active roster

He was on the 40-man in Spring Training. To go down at the beginning of the season, he would be optioned.

Edit: https://www.mlb.com/player/bryan-ramos-682868 under transactions on March 11th.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

31 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

This whole thread can go to @freezingcoldtakes 

Getz surely knew that a guy with a .572 OPS in AA would look good so far in the majors.  This was still just a panic move that Getz made that turned into gold so far.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz surely knew that a guy with a .572 OPS in AA would look good so far in the majors.  This was still just a panic move that Getz made that turned into gold so far.

One of the few.