Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:18 AM)
Wonder if the agents would be involved if the Sox were negotiating a trade for one of the players they represent. Brandon Phillips is reportedly being shopped by the Reds. David Wright?

Ugh, not BP. Doesn't walk, extremely overrated hitter.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based off WBC and highlights I've seen online and on TV, he's going to crush any mistake pitch you make against him. Hanging breaking balls, high changeups, fastballs left belt high - those are toast. But can he hit a good fastball low and away? Can he turn on inside heat? And most importantly, can he lay off the junk out of the zone?

Trade for John Jaso???!!! With all the RHP we see I'd love this. Dude has an OBP over .400 the last 2 years vs RHP(430 ABs)

Don't think the Sox would be in contact with an agent about a trade though so I don't think that's the nugget. Still would like to see it happen though.

Not really a David Dejesus fan...Byrd would be intriguing, esp. if he can play CF....I'd really hate to give up on Dayan.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:20 AM)
Where did you hear the Reds are shopping Phillips?

I saw he was a client. I googled him to see his stats from last year. I found a trade speculation article on him.

Brandon Phillips trade speculation

Maybe they want Beckham. MAYBE they will take Dunn back!

Buck could definitely figure into the catching situation, although it's not ideal.

DeJesus isn't a fit right now unless they trade DeAza.

Pretty sure I heard Reddick needed surgery...not sure if they're willing to sell super low on him, BB's not stupid.

Suzuki is going to have his option declined, so he and Buck would be lesser names for catcher.

Still think they're not going to spend to solve the remaining problems (maybe a veteran LHP if we get closer to legitimacy)....they are going to have use either Santiago/Quintana, Beckham, Ramirez and/or Reed.

Ideally, Semien would be at 2B.

Someone mentioned Headley, Hanley Ramirez and Sandoval....those are all high-risk players. Sandoval for his weight and getting older and changing leagues, Ramirez will probably stay in LA if they're happy with him or he will be injury-prone and Headley just had a dismal season.

The Blue Jays' Lawrie (not Jed Lowrie or Mike Lowry from Bad Boys) remains an interesting/controversial name that might be in play.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:50 AM)
Buck could definitely figure into the catching situation, although it's not ideal.

DeJesus isn't a fit right now unless they trade DeAza.

Pretty sure I heard Reddick needed surgery...not sure if they're willing to sell super low on him, BB's not stupid.

Suzuki is going to have his option declined, so he and Buck would be lesser names for catcher.

Still think they're not going to spend to solve the remaining problems (maybe a veteran LHP if we get closer to legitimacy)....they are going to have use either Santiago/Quintana, Beckham, Ramirez and/or Reed.

Ideally, Semien would be at 2B.

Someone mentioned Headley, Hanley Ramirez and Sandoval....those are all high-risk players. Sandoval for his weight and getting older and changing leagues, Ramirez will probably stay in LA if they're happy with him or he will be injury-prone and Headley just had a dismal season.

The Blue Jays' Lawrie (not Jed Lowrie or Mike Lowry from Bad Boys) remains an interesting/controversial name that might be in play.

Headley's price is about as low as it'll ever get. I'd be ecstatic to get a player like him (even his bad season wasn't that bad).

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:36 AM)
Trade for John Jaso???!!! With all the RHP we see I'd love this. Dude has an OBP over .400 the last 2 years vs RHP(430 ABs)

Don't think the Sox would be in contact with an agent about a trade though so I don't think that's the nugget. Still would like to see it happen though.

Not really a David Dejesus fan...Byrd would be intriguing, esp. if he can play CF....I'd really hate to give up on Dayan.

I would love Jaso on this team. You can hit him leadoff or second (I have a feeling he won't hit leadoff with Robin as manager).

DeJesus would be a fine platoon partner for Viciedo. If we trade De Aza, DeJesus would be a fine replacement in center.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:43 AM)
Well Rock said the FO was talking to the agency so wouldn't it have have to be a FA?

You have a great point. Phillips would add a reliable veteran to the middle of the infield. He should hit at least 20 homeruns at The Cell, with some speed and gold glove D. Would agents be involved in waiving 5/10 rights to approve a trade?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:01 AM)
Bucket I know you don't like sharing over the board either but you got anything as far as future offseason plans?

As I've said for weeks:

Abreu target #1

McCann target #2

They're likely gonna deal for a young impact 3B or CF.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 11:24 PM)
As I've said for weeks:

Abreu target #1

McCann target #2

They're likely gonna deal for a young impact 3B or CF.

My hit list:

C - McCann

3B - Lowrie

Dark horse - Josh Johnson

It should be pretty obvious that the single biggest need is still a left handed, middle of the order hitter to sandwich between Abreu and Garcia. They simply cannot use Dunn to fill that role. If Dunn is still on the team, he must bat lower down in the order.

Moreover, he'll be gone after the season, and there are no left handed impact bats in the system, anywhere near ready to contribute. I'm pretty sure that is why there has been so much talk about Granderson.

McCann makes sense, as he is not only capable of filling that role, but he also plays a position of need. Except for 2012, he has been very good vs. RHP.

If they signed McCann, they could let de Aza play CF again next year, unless they can find a lead off hitter, with a higher OBP, to play there. De Aza appears to have suffered the consequences of trying to hit more home runs. If he could return to the player he was in 2011 and 2012, he would be fine at lead-off. There is still the question of his defense in CF, but he does have the tools to play there. His problem seems more mental than physical.

With no other changes, the lineup could look like this, vs. RHP:

CF A. de Aza

2B Beckham

1B Abreu

C McCann

RF Garcia

DH Dunn

LF Viciedo

3B Gillaspie

SS Ramirez

Semien could platoon with Gillaspie

Edited by Lillian

Wow this happened fast. Just yesterday afternoon I was reading that a deal might happen within a few weeks. Then I go online last night and was extremely surprised. I wonder how much national attention this will get when the deal is made official? This is probably the biggest deal the Sox have made in a long time.

Now the attention switches to the catcher spot. I'd be happy with McCann, Salty, Suzuki, or Jaso...probably in that order. If the Sox do have another $10-$20 million to allocate for next year, any one of them is a possibility. But, if they are also going to be looking for a 3B and/or CF, I think we might see someone other than McCann being signed.

Overall, though, what a way to start the off season!

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:32 AM)
Based off WBC and highlights I've seen online and on TV, he's going to crush any mistake pitch you make against him. Hanging breaking balls, high changeups, fastballs left belt high - those are toast. But can he hit a good fastball low and away? Can he turn on inside heat? And most importantly, can he lay off the junk out of the zone?

There aren't many guys that crush really good pitches consistently, and none of them are available for 6 yeats, 68 million and no other compensation. If he is as good at hitting misyakes as scouts claim, he will be a very successful and popular player.