Adam Dunn appears to be back!

sin city sox fan

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 24, 2014 -> 07:00 AM)
I really wish Hahn had acted when I first posted this thread. It's probably going to take $10 million per season to sign him now.

He finally appears comfortable with the Sox. If ever a guy might actually want to stay with the same team it might be him. It took him a helluva long time to appear to have a clue at the plate. I'd say if he hits 35 or more homers and hits .270 offer him 5-7 mill a year. If he doesn't take that, then it's Abreu at DH and try to sign somebody in free agency.

Edited by greg775

I'd still traded Dunn at the deadline. I don't think he's in the Sox future plans. If Gillaspie continues to hit and assume the 3B position long term, Davidson could be switched to 1b, ala Konerko, and Abreu to DH. Of course, that's assuming Davidson comes out his season long swoon and starts playing like a top prospect again. Either way, to me, there's been too much bad Dunn over the years to let a good 2-3 month strecth in a contract year, change my overall opinion.

As much as I'd hate to see Dunn go, his trade value is skyrocketing right now, and even if the Sox keep Dunn and sneak into a WC spot, I don't see the starting pitching there to make a serious postseason run. Some teams are going to be very desperate for a power bat come July.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 24, 2014 -> 07:43 AM)
As much as I'd hate to see Dunn go, his trade value is skyrocketing right now, and even if the Sox keep Dunn and sneak into a WC spot, I don't see the starting pitching there to make a serious postseason run. Some teams are going to be very desperate for a power bat come July.

Not necessarily skyrocketing. He is on base to hit 25 homers and drive in 70 runs. Hopefully he looks acceptable playing 1st that an NL team might be tempted as well.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 24, 2014 -> 06:43 AM)

Sale and Q give you a chance if you can sneak into the playoffs.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 24, 2014 -> 04:43 AM)

I can see it now . Sox contending for the wild card and trading Dunn. White flag part deux , deja vu all over again.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 24, 2014 -> 08:18 AM)
Not necessarily skyrocketing. He is on base to hit 25 homers and drive in 70 runs. Hopefully he looks acceptable playing 1st that an NL team might be tempted as well.

He has a .400 OBP right now. That is the most amazing thing of all.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 24, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
I can see it now . Sox contending for the wild card and trading Dunn. White flag part deux , deja vu all over again.

The Sox have survived the first 50 games of the season. Still in it. Let's see what the next 50 games bring, and if they're out of it on July 20, then it's time to move guys.

But if they're in it, then just stand pat and see if they can win 86-88 games and hope it's enough for a wild card game.

As far as Dunn, I'm glad he's actually playing like a baseball player right now. He could have 14-15 homers right now, and be having a much worse season. He's more hitterish this season, taking his walks, not striking out at a frightening pace, and actually coming through when it matters once in a while. I hope that continues the rest of the season, and maybe they can explore a 1-yr deal for 2015. He should never play on a multi-year contract ever again.

No one should blame the team if the make whatever move that removes him from the roster, either a trade or not signing him for next year. If he continues like he has been this year for another season or two a few Sox fans will scream we should have kept him, but based on his total history here, let's move on. I wish him the best. I'm almost a little pissed he's playing well. I believe he has been trying his entire time here but guys who have great last seasons on a contract . . . well.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 24, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
The Sox have survived the first 50 games of the season. Still in it. Let's see what the next 50 games bring, and if they're out of it on July 20, then it's time to move guys.

They are still in it at 25-25. Of course, last year, they were 24-24 at this point and we know how far south that went.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2014 -> 03:24 AM)
He finally appears comfortable with the Sox. If ever a guy might actually want to stay with the same team it might be him. It took him a helluva long time to appear to have a clue at the plate. I'd say if he hits 35 or more homers and hits .270 offer him 5-7 mill a year. If he doesn't take that, then it's Abreu at DH and try to sign somebody in free agency.

Abreu doesn't want to DH, he has said so. And Dunn is gone. There are a lot more ways to utilize his salary than on a 35-year-old whose had one good year in four with the Sox.

I really hope Konerko + Dunn salaries go to a starting pitcher this off-seaso. Between Scherzer, Lester, Shields and Masterson, Shields/Masterson seem like the most realistic targets. I cannot fathom the Sox offering what Scherzer or Lester would want. However, Shields will be 33 on opening day in 2015, so that makes him a questionable investment. And Masterson for as good as he can be, he only has two good years in the last four.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 24, 2014 -> 08:18 AM)

The brewers could certainly use him to separate themselves from the NLC seeing how they're 4-6 over their last 10 and they can hear STL's footsteps behind them.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
If he has a good season, even a great season, i will enjoy it. But I will not forget about the first 3 seasons.

Thought I'd post some of the best lines in this thread. This is a good one to begin with. I agree.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Im not talking about tarring and feathering Dunn on the way out, I just in no way shape or form would be willing to negotiate a deal with him.

Wite, on the other hand, is ready to make him Player-Manager with a blank check

One year contract for 4-6 mill a year would be over-generous if he keeps up like this.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
I think even if he puts up a good year this year (.850 OPS+), that's about where his market is going to be. I think he'll probably be able to find a 2 or 3 year deal, but I can't imagine any team giving him more than a $7 million/year average based on his recent history.

Exactly. We all applaud what he's doing but never forget how bad he was. Very very risky. Plus we have a long way to go. He might go into one of those 1-for-35 tailspins again with 17 strikeouts.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 07:32 PM)
To actually be serious, I think that Dunn has left a bad taste in the mouth of Sox fans and wiping themselves clean from him would be best for both parties. If they brought him back at $2-3 mill on a 1 year deal to be one half of a RHP DH platoon, I wouldn't complain, but I don't know if Dunn wants that at this point in his career.

Reasonable post. 2-3 mill for one year. I'd give him 4-6 if he keeps up like this, but your figure is reasonable too.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 24, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
Only in Greg's world is a .270 hitter with 35 HR worth just $5 milliin per year.

Got to look at the whole body of work on Dunn.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 24, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)

But if they're in it, then just stand pat and see if they can win 86-88 games and hope it's enough for a wild card game.

As far as Dunn, I'm glad he's actually playing like a baseball player right now. He could have 14-15 homers right now, and be having a much worse season. He's more hitterish this season, taking his walks, not striking out at a frightening pace, and actually coming through when it matters once in a while. I hope that continues the rest of the season, and maybe they can explore a 1-yr deal for 2015. He should never play on a multi-year contract ever again.

Great great post. One year deals for Dunn the rest of the way unless he hits 40 or so homers this year. He could then get a Kepp-like three year deal.

All that said, I applaud him for homering last night. Great moment.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 24, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to tank the rest of the season.

That's what I'm thinking. Even a healthy 2011 Prince Fielder doesn't help them when every starting pitcher's arm falls off.