2015 Offseason

Boopa1219

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 05:47 PM)
I rather explore another avenue or trade.

after the season I was going to do this whole thing about possible trades.

but I will start here. are the sox and as a fan you prepare to trade a valuable piece (player)

to help get the right player. a young good avg power hitter. if so who will that player that the

sox is trading?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (1dog @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
For those who want VM, please give me a list of 36 year old guys that just signed big contracts and their subsequent stats. It just never seems like it's worth it to me.

Tough to really come up with a list that specific, wouldn't know where to start. There have been many a guys who have produced well over the age of 35. Raul Ibanez had 29 HRs as a 41 year old. Torii Hunter is still productive at 38. Beltran was an All star last year at 36. David Ortiz has 30 bombs at the age of 37. Jeter was good till he turned 38.

Victor Martinez is a professional hitter. If everything is as it seems and Hahn feels like this team can compete with a good offseason, then Victor Martinez should be at the top of that list.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
I think he will because of the sheer amount of teams that will be involved in the bidding. EVERYONE needs a strong lefty and the young one are easier to give the long deals to.

Good point, though I still think offering a reliever 10 per is ridiculous short of a guy like Kimbrel or Holland. Who do you want them to target? Some help is going to need to come via FA, they don't really have much internally that makes me confident besides Petricka and Putnam.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 10:22 PM)
this explains the poor spelling and grammar

nah, the poor spelling and grammar has to do with lousy English skills. I study and study

and still when it comes to writing, I never improved. I grew in chi on 24th and cali across the

street from cook county jail. Harrison hs. I normally take offense with my lack of English skills

but it is a fact of life.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 11:21 PM)
nah, the poor spelling and grammar has to do with lousy English skills. I study and study

and still when it comes to writing, I never improved. I grew in chi on 24th and cali across the

street from cook county jail. Harrison hs. I normally take offense with my lack of English skills

but it is a fact of life.

If you need help I can help you. I was a star English student and can write sentences.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 07:15 AM)
If you need help I can help you. I was a star English student and can write sentences.

thanks, but I am too freaking old. I am retired and in my 60's.

but I am serious, I went to all the tutoring I can. some who knows

me says I got decent verbal skills, but the writing I another story.

the dyslexia I have is the problem.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 12:32 AM)
thanks, but I am too freaking old. I am retired and in my 60's.

but I am serious, I went to all the tutoring I can. some who knows

me says I got decent verbal skills, but the writing I another story.

the dyslexia I have is the problem.

At least it's not Tourette Syndrome. @#$%$#@ !!

If I were Rick Hahn, I would seriously consider trading Jose Quintana for a package of young prospects. While I do think Quintana has been a bright spot for the team and one of the best pickups the Sox have done in years, however I think he reached the ceiling of his prime and will never pitch better than he is pitching right now.

Trading Quintana could be very beneficial for the Sox because both traditional scouts and sabremetricians love him, amd teams always over pay for pitching, especially if its an under 30 left handed pitcher who is among the league leaders in quality starts and is signed to very team friendly contract.

Some of the teams that I would initiate trade talks with are the Pirates, Dodgers, Rockies and maybe the Rangers.

*Pirates get Quintana, Josh Phegly and cash/Sox recieve Austin Meadows, Tyler Glasnow and Cole Tucker.

*Dodgers get Quintana, and cash/Sox receive Corey Seager, low level prospect and INTL bonus pool money.

*Rockies get Quintana and Chris Beck/Sox receive Ryan McMahon amd David Dahl.

*Rangers get Quintana/Sox receive Jurickson Profar and low level prospects.

Trading Quintana could add high end talent to the Sox's farm system and could add some great players to the team's core going forward.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
If I were Rick Hahn, I would seriously consider trading Jose Quintana for a package of young prospects. While I do think Quintana has been a bright spot for the team and one of the best pickups the Sox have done in years, however I think he reached the ceiling of his prime and will never pitch better than he is pitching right now.

Trading Quintana could be very beneficial for the Sox because both traditional scouts and sabremetricians love him, amd teams always over pay for pitching, especially if its an under 30 left handed pitcher who is among the league leaders in quality starts and is signed to very team friendly contract.

Some of the teams that I would initiate trade talks with are the Pirates, Dodgers, Rockies and maybe the Rangers.

*Pirates get Quintana, Josh Phegly and cash/Sox recieve Austin Meadows, Tyler Glasnow and Cole Tucker.

*Dodgers get Quintana, and cash/Sox receive Corey Seager, low level prospect and INTL bonus pool money.

*Rockies get Quintana and Chris Beck/Sox receive Ryan McMahon amd David Dahl.

*Rangers get Quintana/Sox receive Jurickson Profar and low level prospects.

Trading Quintana could add high end talent to the Sox's farm system and could add some great players to the team's core going forward.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!! :notworthy

I have been wanting to say that for a while. I even mention it before. the response were

all valid excuses.

the point I see as a counter is he is lock up in a nice salary. but the counter is the sox can get instant

help for players that are needed to fill out the roster and maybe take the sox to the next level. the hole

left may only be a temp, if the sox uses the fa route until combine with the prospect performing.

the only problem may be if the sox does not go fa route. if they don't then the trade will never happen.

the biggest question which we as fans will never know, will the sox go the fa rt? to pick up the pieces needed or

are they content with the team and prospects thereby saving money. there are salaries the are carrying

that need to be come off the books.

Look at Baez and Alcantara, or Baez/Alcantara/Edwards.

If you said three months ago you could trade Jose Quintana for those three prospects, almost everyone would have jumped all over that move.

What you would have done is blown another irreparable 2-3 hole in the rotation....and consequently be stuck with three huge question marks for 2015.

Quintana is currently 9th in WAR for starting pitchers. Even if you don't love advanced metrics, it's quite clear that Jose is an incredible pitcher. Moving him creates yet another hole in the rotation and pushes back our competitive window another 2 to 3 years IMO.

I'm 100% against trading Quintana. Him, Sale, & Rodon can be the core of an elite rotation for the next 5 years. Trading him for potential impact players is a bad idea when he already is one and is already signed to a team-friendly long-term deal.

It is true that you could get a lot back in trade for Quintana, but the assumption seems to be that we get a lot back without harming the pitching staff. But that isn't true - Quintana is what's good about our pitching staff.

Deal from our area of depth, which is middle infielders and Viciedo.

The problem is that offering Carlos Sanchez and Dayan Viciedo isn't going to bring back much in return. Trading Ramirez almost completely shoots down any chance of competing in 2015 and 2016, so it's quite the quandary...with seemingly no solution other than spending their way out of it if they really want to be close to the Royals/Tigers/Indians in 2015.

If we didn't have Sale, people would be looking at Quintana as the staff ace. He keeps improving and is locked up for a while. He, Sale and Rodon all being under control for cheap can give the Sox the ability to build an elite, young and cheap rotation.

I've never understood moving Quintana at this juncture. You'd be moving Quintana in the hopes that at least one of them turns out like Quintana, so that you can sign him to a deal like Quintana's (when we don't have to move or need to move Quintana).

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
I've never understood moving Quintana at this juncture. You'd be moving Quintana in the hopes that at least one of them turns out like Quintana, so that you can sign him to a deal like Quintana's (when we don't have to move or need to move Quintana).

The only way you move Jose Quintana is if you are getting a true superstar hitter, and are giving out a big contract to a RHSP. So if Jose and others bring you Mike Stanton, sure. You don't deal him for prospects.