White Sox sign Adam LaRoche

Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 06:33 PM)
I don't fully understand how you got to the $74 million

BP has us on the board for $52.8 million before LaRoache.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensa...am=CHA&pos=

Add $12.5 for Adam L., and we are pretty much at $65. That still leaves Viciedo, Flowers, Jones and Noesi as arb guys, and that is about another $10 million.

Then you still have to add in $500k for each roster spot until 25 spots to fill out the roster. We are probably sitting closer to $80 million

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 04:42 PM)

Add $12.5 for Adam L., and we are pretty much at $65. That still leaves Viciedo, Flowers, Jones and Noesi as arb guys, and that is about another $10 million.

Then you still have to add in $500k for each roster spot until 25 spots to fill out the roster. We are probably sitting closer to $80 million

Completely forgot about arb guys, actually. Good call.

I still don't think Viciedo stays but I could be wrong.

For what it's worth, I think the Sox's payroll will be closer to $100M this year.

It's obvious they are looking to compete (unlike what SI has to say), I think the LaRoche move is a perfect example of that. I also think to compete, you need to make some serious moves and they have 3 big holes to fill (LF, RHSP, and reliever) and that will cost more than $10-15M.

Edited by SoCalSox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 08:42 PM)

I think we are around $80 million when you factor in Keppinger and assume Viciedo is picked up.

What I was unclear on was whether or not people were counting $500k for roster spots we assume will be filled via free agency or trade. To my mind, if you assume we'll pick up, for example, a LF a SP a RP and a backup catcher, you shouldn't count the $2 million for those 4 roster spots.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:04 PM)
I think we are around $80 million when you factor in Keppinger and assume Viciedo is picked up.

What I was unclear on was whether or not people were counting $500k for roster spots we assume will be filled via free agency or trade. To my mind, if you assume we'll pick up, for example, a LF a SP a RP and a backup catcher, you shouldn't count the $2 million for those 4 roster spots.

That is $500k per roster spot. If we sign two free agents, that is a million dollars. That doesn't really make a big difference.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)

Spotrac had us at just a touch under $51M after the "dead money" of Kep, etc w/o LaRoche.

Right now, the Sox have 7 roster spots filled as of right now w/ LaRoche & Duke, so that would be 18 left to fill, so let's say they use 3 spaces via FA, that leaves them with 15 spots to fill which if you times that by $.600M (to be safe vs $.500) you have a total of $9M (forgot to fill LaRoche's spot originally).

So if they had $51M accounted for, plus $12.5M via LaRoche and $9M of "the rest of the roster minus 3 FA's", that's a total of $72.5M. Give or take a few mill from ARB, they will be sitting at around $75-77M (b/c I don't see them keeping Viciedo).

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
except LaRoche costs alot less for less time and didn't need to include an All Star shortstop

2-3 days ago I read that all LA wanted to get rid of Ethier was a "prospect with some upside." If Alexie gets in that deal, it will be for a lot more than Ethier.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 02:14 AM)
Spotrac had us at just a touch under $51M after the "dead money" of Kep, etc w/o LaRoche.

Right now, the Sox have 7 roster spots filled as of right now w/ LaRoche & Duke, so that would be 18 left to fill, so let's say they use 3 spaces via FA, that leaves them with 15 spots to fill which if you times that by $.600M (to be safe vs $.500) you have a total of $9M (forgot to fill LaRoche's spot originally).

So if they had $51M accounted for, plus $12.5M via LaRoche and $9M of "the rest of the roster minus 3 FA's", that's a total of $72.5M. Give or take a few mill from ARB, they will be sitting at around $75-77M (b/c I don't see them keeping Viciedo).

What about Duke

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
What about Duke

Duke's $4.5M hit is already included in that $51M that Spotrac has. LaRoche isn't "official yet, but would guess they probably split his contract pretty much down the middle so I would guess a $12.5M hit this year is due.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 08:10 PM)
so does any one really know what the final tally is. is the payroll at 70+ mil as of

tonite?

As of tonight, including the LaRoche deal, they are sitting at about $63.5M with just 7 players counted on the roster.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 11:10 PM)
so does any one really know what the final tally is. is the payroll at 70+ mil as of

tonite?

I count approx $80 million if you include Viciedo. With 4 roster spots open- presumably an OF, SP, RP, and (backup) C. $75.6 if you don't include Viciedo.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)
I count approx $80 million if you include Viciedo. With 4 roster spots open- presumably an OF, SP, RP, and (backup) C. $75.6 if you don't include Viciedo.

So assuming a $100M payroll and Viciedo is traded, we're right back at the $25M in available payroll that I mentioned earlier ;)

You know who really mashes lefties in our system, and might be the best platoon partner for ALaR? None other than Mr. Gordita Crunchella himself.

I personally thought he should have spent some time in Charlotte last year, putting him on an earlier arrival track.

How's he doing in winter ball?

I want Tank gone mainly because he can't be played in the OF, but also because he'll be relatively uncheap, given the dearth of AB's he 'll get DHing vs. LHP - can't see it really increasing future value or fostering growth.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 09:23 PM)
You know who really mashes lefties in our system, and might be the best platoon partner for ALaR? None other than Mr. Gordita Crunchella himself.

I personally thought he should have spent some time in Charlotte last year, putting him on an earlier arrival track.

I want Tank gone mainly because he can't be played in the OF, but also because he'll be relatively uncheap, given the dearth of AB's he 'll get DHing vs. LHP - can't see it really increasing future value or fostering growth.

Ravioli is yummy.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 07:10 AM)
does JR still have a thing about too much facial hair?

I like the signing but the central is in a place where it seems the tigers are on the decline while the Royals and Indians are on the rise with young talent. Where are the Sox in that development?

gaining ground very quickly this offseason. however their farm system is extremely

weak and off by a 1 + before they start to show yearly rtns.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 12:23 AM)

Indeed -- too bad they yanked him off 3B. It's harder to justify 25-man roster spots for three first basemen at the same time.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 02:38 AM)
Hey guess who had the same OBP as our beloved leadoff hitter. Yep Adam LaRoche.

Hey guess who was 7th in MLB in GWRBI . Yep Adam LaRoche with 17.

He's flat out a good hitter. People really can't argue that fact but they will.

Edited by Rowand44