Did the sox hit all of their offseason targets

RockRaines

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely.... I do think that they had their eye on Miller as a primary target but put him lower on their priority list once there was so much interest apparent. As in, 22 freaking teams interest. Jesus. :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I feel like I did during the 2004 offseason.

The Baseball Gods are talking to me. Music, baby... music.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:11 AM)
Also... time for the folks who said we'd only have 20 - 30 M in spending money to eat up... we're over 50 now in my estimate. Had us pegged for 45... so even this offseason has surpassed my lofty optimistic pleas.

giphy.gif

Duke - $5 million

Samardzija - $10 million

Robertson - $11.5 million

Cabrera - $14.5 million

LaRoche $12.5 million

$53.5 million.

We had $48.5 million committed at the start of the off-season. Add all of this on and we'll be at $100 million. This isn't all that surprising, since a lot of teams are over the $100 million mark. I think we still have room for some improvement.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:20 AM)
Duke - $5 million

Samardzija - $10 million

Cabrera - $14.5 million

LaRoche $12.5 million

$53.5 million.

We had $48.5 million committed at the start of the off-season. Add all of this on and we'll be at $100 million. This isn't all that surprising, since a lot of teams are over the $100 million mark. I think we still have room for some improvement.

A lot of people here were swearing up and down that the payroll would max out at 80 - 85MM

I'd give anything to see the list of catchers the Sox like around the league and their order of preference. Guys scattered around the minors too. I think we are hoping for some strong pushes from some prospects this year like Trey so we can still shop & protect our Montasy and Andersony prospects.

Obviously C, 2B, 3B are still areas of need, but you rarely see a team address 5 different spots in a team so quickly. I think we are safely a wild card contender at this point. If Hahn can add a big 3B or C, I think we are a division contender, and if Hahn can add both, I think we become a division favorite.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:15 AM)
Obviously C, 2B, 3B are still areas of need, but you rarely see a team address 5 different spots in a team so quickly. I think we are safely a wild card contender at this point. If Hahn can add a big 3B or C, I think we are a division contender, and if Hahn can add both, I think we become a division favorite.

I'm a big Conor supporter. Granted I've been partial to 3rd basemen all my life but nonetheless I think Conor having hit 13 HR's 2 years ago then hitting for a decent average last year has a good chance to now hit for average and power. Late in the year Robin gave him a bigger glove , maybe even one of Robin's old gloves if I am remembering right and seemed as if his defense got better late in the season. So I'm hoping for a big year for Conor.( at least against RH's)

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:11 AM)
Also... time for the folks who said we'd only have 20 - 30 M in spending money to eat up... we're over 50 now in my estimate. Had us pegged for 45... so even this offseason has surpassed my lofty optimistic pleas.

giphy.gif

I believe it was Rock who said Sox had plenty of $$ to spend if they wanted to. But of course he doesn't count lol

Where's that party pooping Balta fella at that pooped at everyones's offseason prediction =p

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 02:20 AM)
Duke - $5 million

Samardzija - $10 million

Cabrera - $14.5 million

LaRoche $12.5 million

$53.5 million.

With arbitrations and pre-arb salaries we're at $118 million with not much of a bench.

If we can dump Viceido for quality bullpen arm and or defensive infield glove and prospects I'd be even more happy.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
They certainly addressed the biggest deficiencies. Very impressive work.

The team still needs another RP and some SP depth, and a real 4th OF would be nice, but those are minor additions.

and i will continue to say this, the sox did little damage to the farm system. that

in itself is impressive.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
I honestly didn't think it was possible to have a winter like this. It is almost incredible how many things came together in a month and a half.

in my silliness i was thinking of starting a post of someone should send

Hahn should go and negotiate ###

Hahn is the man.

Absolutely yes! In another thread I posted that it would be very difficult and expensive to upgrade 3B and C. Sandoval wasn't worth all that extra money, being a marginal upgrade over Gillaspie, and there really isn't much of a catchers market out there. The Sox probably never targeted upgrades at 3B and C anyway. I'm so trusting of this front office that I feel, if they are excited about Gillaspie at 3B and think he be better, I'm with them. Flowers isn't the best hitter on the planet but will provide adequate defense with some pop. I'm so stoked!

Yes. Catcher, 3b and the bottom of the rotation are spots they could have upgraded but not holes in the roster imo. They filled every hole they had on the roster, now I just want them to find a platoon partner or two for Conor and Laroche and I think they're good to go.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 04:46 AM)
With arbitrations and pre-arb salaries we're at $118 million with not much of a bench.

If we can dump Viceido for quality bullpen arm and or defensive infield glove and prospects I'd be even more happy.

Where are you getting that number from? I have them at about $110M right now.