2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
I wish we were able to have that friendly banter. Although I will say its not bad all the time. There are some Cub fan's that I interact with that are cool and level headed about things and arent just looking to get a rise out of sox fans but those are the minority in my world. I mostly just ignore them though.

That's cause your too easy to get a rise out of sir. Back in my days, Mario and I could get a rise out of you just by racing.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)
Cubs fans have actually been less annoying than the Chicago media so far this year. The Cubs fans in the media have been horrible.

Everytime, my buddy's and I on FB post to each other our Sox frustrations, some Cubs friend of him or me feels to respond with some stuff like, "It's a good time to jump to the north side! We're good! Blah blah"

Everytime.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 12:32 AM)
And it's almost shocking how some Sox fans (I'm looking at you, Fathom) are so "worried" about the Cubs seemingly every season, for no reason. What happens if they will it all this year? Next year? What is going to happen to your fandom? Can someone explain?

If/when the Cubs win it all, it's going to take away a lot of the passion I have for baseball. Right now, really the only two things I care about during a season are the Sox winning and Cubs not winning. If the Cubs win it all, I can't even picture myself following the NL anymore. The Sox winning it in 2005 took away a significant amount of my worries of Cubs winning WS/Sox not winning WS during my life. I wouldn't mind not having to deal with the Cubs winning a WS though, as I think it would be a very bad day for the Sox organization in terms of future fans.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 06:37 PM)
If/when the Cubs win it all, it's going to take away a lot of the passion I have for baseball. Right now, really the only two things I care about during a season are the Sox winning and Cubs not winning. If the Cubs win it all, I can't even picture myself following the NL anymore. The Sox winning it in 2005 took away a significant amount of my worries of Cubs winning WS/Sox not winning WS during my life. I wouldn't mind not having to deal with the Cubs winning a WS though, as I think it would be a very bad day for the Sox organization in terms of future fans.

You got it bad, dude. Get ready to give up baseball soon.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 02:20 AM)
Why does the Cubs winning a World Series take away from your overall passion for baseball? And why over the last five or so seasons spent equal amounts of time watching Cubs baseball as you do the Sox? Again, I really want to know.

I dislike watching NL baseball enough while having interest in the outcome. If I no longer worried about the outcome of NL games, it would result in less time spent watching games. For the record, I actually watch a lot less Cubs games live than I'm sure it seems. Majority of the games I just watch the highlights on mlb.com as it happens.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 02:43 AM)
You still haven't really answered why you spend as much time as you do talking about the Cubs. And it hasn't just been a this season thing, for as long as I have known you on this board, you've been posting frequently about the Cubs.

Honestly, cause I figured my fellow Sox fans would have good conversations about it as most Sox fans despise them.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 09:51 PM)
Honestly, cause I figured my fellow Sox fans would have good conversations about it as most Sox fans despise them.

2003 vintage, drunken me would be totally agreeing with you.

Post October 2005 me...I'll just wallow in the fact that my franchise is so rotten and keep my mouth shut.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 05:41 PM)
That's cause your too easy to get a rise out of sir. Back in my days, Mario and I could get a rise out of you just by racing.

This is true.

It actually would still make me mad.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
Cubs fans have actually been less annoying than the Chicago media so far this year. The Cubs fans in the media have been horrible.

A good number of my friends are Cubs fans, and for the most part they are just that - Cubs fans, not Sox haters. So, for them, Im not unhappy if the Cubs have success.

But, man, is the media annoying. For comparison, the Sox were 71-55 in 2012 on this date, and I don't remember guys in the media doing quite as much cheerleading.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
A good number of my friends are Cubs fans, and for the most part they are just that - Cubs fans, not Sox haters. So, for them, Im not unhappy if the Cubs have success.

But, man, is the media annoying. For comparison, the Sox were 71-55 in 2012 on this date, and I don't remember guys in the media doing quite as much cheerleading.

I think that is what gets me, not really their success but the over the top cheerleading that transpires with them.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 02:59 AM)
Schwarber would look good in a Sox jersey. That kid is a beast.

Rodon is going to be great, so no regrets. If the Sox had taken Kolek, then we should be pissed. Who knows, Sox might have not even had Schwarber in their top 15 or so. Just an incredible scouting job by the Cubs.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)
Schwarber would look good in a Sox jersey. That kid is a beast.

The crazy thing is Schwarber, Bryant, or Rizzo would be the best players on our team.

Russell would be the best fielder on our team.

I hate the Cubs as much as anyone here but f*** it this run they're on is incredible right now. If they continued going crazy through the end of the season and ended up winning 100+ games this season I wouldn't even be mad, that'd be too impressive.

Their young talent is super impressive and they have the perfect manager for that team. They're going to be a powerhouse for a while. Regardless what you think of them, they are fun to watch. Also its never a bad thing when the Cubs are good because that's usually when the Sox FO takes notice and starts making moves. The Sox underachieving this year while the Cubs are making a playoff push (they'll make it, even if its only the WC game) isn't going over well with JR or KW.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 04:45 AM)
Their young talent is super impressive and they have the perfect manager for that team. They're going to be a powerhouse for a while. Regardless what you think of them, they are fun to watch. Also its never a bad thing when the Cubs are good because that's usually when the Sox FO takes notice and starts making moves. The Sox underachieving this year while the Cubs are making a playoff push (they'll make it, even if its only the WC game) isn't going over well with JR or KW.

Damn. If it's true "they" are good and "we" are horses*** this could be the total demise of the Sox franchise in Chicago. I mean think about it ... Cubs have been NO rival of the Sox for a long time. We've been the better team (or at least way better team on paper) for a VERY long time. With their fanbase being 10 times bigger than ours ... if they are actually GOOD (we know their manager is very good) and we continue to be embarrassingly BAD (not worth cost of admission for sure) this could get ugly.

Maybe Jerry will sense this changing dynamic and sell to Cuban!!! We can only hope. He wouldn't move us to Dallas/Fort Worth. They can't support 2 teams.