2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
The white sox are lucky with Quintana. Just like they were lucky to get Rodon and lucky that Sale turned into Chris Sale.

when it comes to the Sox scouting and player development, they are more lucky that any of their drafted players turn into MLB caliber players.

This is Kenny Williams and Buddy Bell we are talking about.

No, the Sox may suck at player development but that is almost all on the position player side. They have a very good track record with pitchers, and the Sox deserve credit for it, just like they deserve blame on the lack of hitters that come through the system.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
The white sox are lucky with Quintana. Just like they were lucky to get Rodon and lucky that Sale turned into Chris Sale.

when it comes to the Sox scouting and player development, they are more lucky that any of their drafted players turn into MLB caliber players.

This is Kenny Williams and Buddy Bell we are talking about.

At some point give them credit for pitching. Q was a minor league free agent.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 09:54 PM)
With how bad so many bullpens are, how did the Cubs get F. Rodney for nothing? Another career AL player now making it look easy in the NL

Because Rodney was complete garbage with Seattle? He's pitched 10 innings for the Cubs, I wouldn't call him another AL-NL example just yet.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 07:44 PM)
Pirates just have to win 2 of 3 this weekend at worst to clinch hosting the WC game. The Reds have lost 11 in a row now.

The Reds have had a rookie starting pitcher in 59 consecutive games and 105 overall this season.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mlb-cinc...-walt-jocketty/

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 07:44 PM)
Pirates just have to win 2 of 3 this weekend at worst to clinch hosting the WC game. The Reds have lost 11 in a row now.

I have never seen someone so anti-Cubs lol. Cubs have a great chance of winning the WC game with Arrieta on the mound if it's played at Wrigley or PNC Park. Hell, I would be shocked if they don't win the WC game on Wednesday. That's how dominant Arrieta is. Cards don't scare anyone with their injuries. Cubs have a great chance to go on a run in October this year.

This does kind of feel like the year to do it. The Cardinals are injured and their pitching has fallen off a bit as of late. The Pirates have to beat Arrieta. The Dodgers have sucked against teams over .500 this year, and though the Mets' offense is much improved vs. the last time they faced the Cubs, their pitching has also slipped lately and they did go 0-7 against the Cubs. That said, the playoffs are a crap shoot and baseball rarely fails to surprise you. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the Wild Card game turned into an 11-10 shootout instead of the pitching duel everyone is expecting, because baseball.

I still cant help but feel like the "Cub factor" is going to show up eventually here. Not the curse but the fact that I have only seen it happen my entire life. Even when they seem to have everything in their favor something happens where it doesnt work out. But some were probably saying the same thing about our Sox in 05'.

We will see but I can see Arrieta totally blowing this game.

QUOTE (shipps @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 04:57 PM)
I still cant help but feel like the "Cub factor" is going to show up eventually here. Not the curse but the fact that I have only seen it happen my entire life. Even when they seem to have everything in their favor something happens where it doesnt work out. But some were probably saying the same thing about our Sox in 05'.

We will see but I can see Arrieta totally blowing this game.

This young Cubs team is something special I think, though. That team reminds me of the 2008-2009 Blackhawks. Young team that can surprise some people.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 05:11 PM)
And the Cubs go on the road to face a 98 win team with a 19 game winner in the play-in game on Wednesday.

Damn, I didn't even realize had the Pirates lost today that the game would be in Chicago. Anyway, should be a really good game. Arrieta makes the Cubs the slight favorite, imo.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 05:28 PM)
Damn, I didn't even realize had the Pirates lost today that the game would be in Chicago. Anyway, should be a really good game. Arrieta makes the Cubs the slight favorite, imo.

Don't think anyone is going to disagree there.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 05:33 PM)
Cardinals didn't score a run in Atlanta this weekend, and now don't play until Friday.

I know they're the one seed, but if I had to rank the NL playoff teams, they'd be at the bottom for me right now. They have the worst offense, and though their rotation is deep, their top guys don't match up with the other teams' top guys. Then again, they always seem to have a scrub or two that lights it up in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 05:28 PM)

Gerritt Cole is pretty damn awesome too(not Arrieta awesome but damn good), to me this is a complete 50/50 toss up.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)
Gerritt Cole is pretty damn awesome too(not Arrieta awesome but damn good), to me this is a complete 50/50 toss up.

If this was in Chicago I'd say the Cubs should be the favorite, but the Cubs on the road and Cole with much extra rest makes this at least a tossup.