2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 07:18 AM)
Starlin Castro is somehow, someway going to make an absolutely terrible play and it'll cost the Cubs the game. That's my prediction.

And the ball goes through Graffanino... er, Castro's, legs!

The Cardinals remind me of the 2000 White Sox. Just ran out in front of the pack and held on because of the lead they amassed, but injuries devastated them down the stretch. Once the playoffs hit, they were spent

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
The Cardinals remind me of the 2000 White Sox. Just ran out in front of the pack and held on because of the lead they amassed, but injuries devastated them down the stretch. Once the playoffs hit, they were spent

Ya but they're The Cardinals.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)
David Price

Not so sure that is the right move for them. They're not exactly hurting for SP right now, and Price will be super expensive. They sign him and they probably lose Arrieta in a couple years, then in 2018/2019 they'll be paying two pitchers well past the age of 30 ~$60 million/year at a time when all their hitters will want to get paid. I could see them going after a slightly lesser SP who will give them a bit more flexibility in later years. I've heard a few Cub fans and baseball writers say the same thing. Of course, if their new TV deal allows them to go crazy with the payroll then why not.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)

Great comparison, no doubt in my mind the Cardinals are the worst of the 5 NL teams in the postseason right now due to injuries and players falling off in their performance (ie: Wacha and Peralta)

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
Great comparison, no doubt in my mind the Cardinals are the worst of the 5 NL teams in the postseason right now due to injuries and players falling off in their performance (ie: Wacha and Peralta)

They've had a great year and all but right now they look like one of the least-intimidating 100 win teams that I can remember. Not sure I'd pick them as the favorite in a series against any of the playoff teams this year, AL included.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 07:18 AM)
Starlin Castro is somehow, someway going to make an absolutely terrible play and it'll cost the Cubs the game. That's my prediction.

Paging Steve Bartman. Steve Bartman, your presence is required in Pittsburgh Wednesday night. Thanks. :D

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 12:07 AM)
I would bet big money he will. He's locked in... but it would be funny if that did happen.

How about the game goes scoreless through nine and then the Cubs bullpen implodes?

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)
670 The Score ‏@670TheScore 16m16 minutes ago

On air, @MLBBruceLevine said Dexter Fowler will "probably" sign elsewhere next yr & he's hearing #Cubs are more interested in Jason Heyward.

Supposedly the Cubs think they can play Heyward in CF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)
670 The Score ‏@670TheScore 16m16 minutes ago

On air, @MLBBruceLevine said Dexter Fowler will "probably" sign elsewhere next yr & he's hearing #Cubs are more interested in Jason Heyward.

I think I'd be okay with that if the price tag is indeed asinine.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
Supposedly the Cubs think they can play Heyward in CF.

I don't know enough about NL players, but that Cubs outfield is pretty crowded. Is Heyward a Fowler replacement? I guess the OBP and OPS+ are a little better.

They need a CF.

If they want to play Bryant/Schwarber or Baez/Schwarber at the corners, they need a premiere defender in center.

Just depends on who they want to play 3B, and how long they want to hold onto Castro and Baez.

They don't have to trade any of them yet, they could go with many different infield and outfield combinations.

However, in the end, they're going to have to trade either Baez or Soler if they want to go with the approach of loading the outfield with offense first players...unless they want to take the chance of selling high on Schwarber right now and hope it doesn't come back to bite them.

Theoretically, paying Castro that much to play 2B doesn't make sense...but they don't have to trade him until they find a better replacement, and it's nice to have two back-ups for Russell in both Baez and Castro.

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
I have a feeling STL will pay up to bring him back.

Agreed, especially if the Cubs are interested in him.

It would be the worst case scenario for STL if Heyward left and then went to the Cubs too. It's like a slap in the face.

I bet they'll fork over the dough for him just so that it'll prevent him from going to the Cubs.