John Danks

Kyyle23

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 09:52 PM)
Except the problems, as we all know, really aren't mechanical ones.

We know that Danks is trying to re-create himself. The shoulder surgery is the root cause, but I'm sure they do see things that are correctable on tape; in other words, there is no overcoming his lack of velocity so everything else from a mechanical standpoint has to be near perfect.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)
The shoulder injury changed everything.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)
In hindsight, the deal on paper was terrific for the White Sox. Danks, unfortunately, got hurt and thus his game has suffered. But if he did not get hurt, we are looking at $14 million per year for a legit #2 starter who would still be in his prime. The injury sucked, but without it, it would be a value contract for the White sox.

Yup. People so quickly forgot that he had a hell of a stretch for the Sox. He would have earned that money without question had the injury never happened.

That being said, the injury did happen and if he's not even #5 starter quality come May, I hope the Sox will be ready to eat that money and move on .

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 04:45 AM)
Not optimistic, but they have to give him a certain amount of starts. The dream of tradeability is unlikely, so I'll settle for semi-competence.

i think the sox are hoping for someone who can eat innings and give the team a 50/50 chance of winning. if he can pitch like last yr, with the offense and defense he is bound to have added, what 5+ move victories.

i honestly think that no one wants to be evil and wish the worst for him.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 10:28 PM)
We know that Danks is trying to re-create himself. The shoulder surgery is the root cause, but I'm sure they do see things that are correctable on tape; in other words, there is no overcoming his lack of velocity so everything else from a mechanical standpoint has to be near perfect.

And we have all seen he has problems keeping consistent in his mechanics, and has always been that way.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 01:15 AM)
Yup. People so quickly forgot that he had a hell of a stretch for the Sox. He would have earned that money without question had the injury never happened.

That being said, the injury did happen and if he's not even #5 starter quality come May, I hope the Sox will be ready to eat that money and move on .

He was great. His extension did come out of nowhere though, at a time we thought we were going to start getting rid of talent. Wish we would have waited, but he was a great pitcher. These things happen.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
Marlins looking for pitching. Didn't the Sox and Marlins talk about Danks last July?

I've wondered if there was a chance to move him while he was pitching decently early on last year - hopefully that opportunity presents itself again.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
I dont know if they're skipping his start or just reordering the rotation so its L-R-L-R-L, but Noesi is listed for Wednesday's game in Cleveland. That would be Danks spot.

My guess is it'll be Quintana (Tuesday), Noesi, Danks, Samardzija, Sale. Probably just a reorder due to the off day.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
My guess is it'll be Quintana (Tuesday), Noesi, Danks, Samardzija, Sale. Probably just a reorder due to the off day.

I'd personally go:

Tues: Quintana

Wed: Danks/Noesi

Fri: Sale

Sat: Shark

Sun: Quintana.

Gotta throw your best out there to cool down Detroit. Sale and Quintana would be on normal rest.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
Why do we always discuss Danks and act as if Noesi is any better? Sox have a problem with both of them in terms of being very effective.

Noesi was able to limit the damage, but I think the shadows helped him out. It was his first start of the year, the team was 0-3 coming in, and it was the home opener, which is pretty much for a guy who has been waived twice to take on. Hopefully, nerves had something to do with his control issues, and he puts that behind him, because he won't be able to get away with giving up 2 runs with the walks, balks, wild pitches and HBP very often.

They have Rodon in the wings. He is going to come up. They have seemingly set him up to make as few starts in AAA as possible while staying in their rotation. Another successful start or 2, it's hard to imagine one of Danks or Noesi, assuming no injury, will be in the rotation more than a couple of more starts.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
Noesi was able to limit the damage, but I think the shadows helped him out. It was his first start of the year, the team was 0-3 coming in, and it was the home opener, which is pretty much for a guy who has been waived twice to take on. Hopefully, nerves had something to do with his control issues, and he puts that behind him, because he won't be able to get away with giving up 2 runs with the walks, balks, wild pitches and HBP very often.

They have Rodon in the wings. He is going to come up. They have seemingly set him up to make as few starts in AAA as possible while staying in their rotation. Another successful start or 2, it's hard to imagine one of Danks or Noesi, assuming no injury, will be in the rotation more than a couple of more starts.

Agree 100%. I think by the end of this month, Rodon is in the rotation and one of Danks/Noesi is out. My guess is Noesi draws the short straw, especially if he continues to pitch like he did on opening day.

This is a big thing for me. Danks and Noesi both have the ability to be kinda OK or any range of bad. That's frightening. Rodon should be up now, and he should do some MiLB time during all-star break to preserve the extra year of arbitration. Reason being..... I don't like our offense enough to have just three good starters for these first few months.

I'm fine with our offense if we are one of those undoubtedly pitching-first teams. And being win-now, I'd like the best four starters in place ASAP.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)

I have a feeling you are going to see couple weeks of 5 inning starts to limit his minor league innings. If all goes well he'll come up around the beginning to mid-May and stay with the limitation for a bit to try to push his longer, better starts toward the end of the season before he wears out.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
This is a big thing for me. Danks and Noesi both have the ability to be kinda OK or any range of bad. That's frightening. Rodon should be up now, and he should do some MiLB time during all-star break to preserve the extra year of arbitration. Reason being..... I don't like our offense enough to have just three good starters for these first few months.

I'm fine with our offense if we are one of those undoubtedly pitching-first teams. And being win-now, I'd like the best four starters in place ASAP.

He will be done by the end of August then. He cannot pitch more than 130-160 innings this year without concerns of injury.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 07:15 PM)
I have a feeling you are going to see couple weeks of 5 inning starts to limit his minor league innings. If all goes well he'll come up around the beginning to mid-May and stay with the limitation for a bit to try to push his longer, better starts toward the end of the season before he wears out.

i am really torn on this, i feel as he should be seeing 5 innings until ASG.

i still like to see how the team does before i start looking at the playoff, but i can't help it, i really do think it is possible.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 07:28 PM)
Just to note, as of Friday the Sox are afforded the incremental service year with Rodon. Super 2 implications obviously still in play.

that mean, assuming i am right, the sox are going to make sure his pitches are perfected. not a trail by fire good.

If Sale never got hurt and started opening day, he probably would have started this coming Saturday.

Don't mess with the baseball gods. Danks on Friday, then the normal rotation...Sale, Samardzija, Quintana, Noesi, Danks.

Do you really want to push Samardzija back a start? He seemed to figure it out after that 2nd inning Saturday.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
that mean, assuming i am right, the sox are going to make sure his pitches are perfected. not a trail by fire good.

Nobody really gives a s*** about the super 2, including me and almost certainly the Sox. The extra year of guaranteed control however is huge. Rodon is going to be up in a few weeks, almost guaranteed, if he keeps pitching the way he is and Noesi and Danks keep getting shelled.